Author Topic: EICMA 2015 - New V7 Roamer/Bobber and MGX-21 Bagger The photos are rolling in.  (Read 122930 times)

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
As a replacement for the Nevada, I like it.  The tank is probably going to look worse when there is no rider on the bike, but for now I think the whole package works for that Harley 48 Sportster look. 
Travis King
'70 Ambassadors, 73 Norton, 73 V7 Sport, 12 V7 Racer

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
I've been hoping to see shots of something in the 'middle' segment, ala a Griso-esque LeMans or something.  These both look "small" in size, even if the engine might be an 850, and wouldn't fit the bill for me in multiple categories.  That said, the fat tire version looks promising as something interesting.
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
It's funny cause you would think this WOULD be my cup of tea...but I can't get past that tank.

Yeah, the tank is not great and if I wanted a Sportster, I'd buy a Sportster.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
It is not my cup of tea, either. I much prefer the look of the V7 II, and I would be gladly give up a bit of power for lighter weight and greater range.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Wildguzzi.com

Penderic

A tank shroud is a good way to change the looks quickly and cheaply ... use the same tank components and certification for more models and take advantage of the bigger volume discounts on the assembly lines. (just hope dont have to do a recall for a common defect - that could affect all of the bikes!)

I hope they have a nice retro 2 pot instrument dash on one of the models. That single white faced big instrument pod (looks like a mechanical sweep), doesnt do it for me. I wonder what the ecu and extra functions the electronics will be. Hope they get the fueling and limpback modes good enough for the first lucky buyers. And hope they make it possible for us to still modify the operating parameters of the system.  :bike-037:

And what kind of holy oils will be required for the bike? Special lubes are a downer if they are expensive and hard to find.

I hope they improved the proceedure for checking the oil levels too. Should be foolproof!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:20:23 PM by Penderic »

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
I'm in the non-fat tire group.  Now, give it some nice suspension and interesting performance.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:10:56 PM by tiger_one »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
The one with the non-fat tire is much better, but that fuel tank is bothering me...
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
It's funny cause you would think this WOULD be my cup of tea...but I can't get past that tank.

I know some will scoff, but the tank shape was always part of my love/hate relationship with my Jackal (and arguably my Breva too).

The tank SHAPE is SO IMPORTANT to me visually (and functionally from a size and airflow perspective).

So I kinda hope along the same lines as you, but I'm wondering how they could possibly do that?

If this is basically a smallblock frame, then I know there was little clearance between the tank on my V7 and the cylinders. I can't imagine they have room for it?

Some were wondering if this tank wasn't designed to be covered with a shroud (God I hope it is, I really don't like the shape). I would think the Cali 1400 style shroud with cut-outs could mostly preserve a more "traditional" shape, closer to the V7. But of course, you would lose the range.

You'd thinking that the tilting forward and lowering of the engine in the V7II would give a little more room for a taller engine with the existing tank.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
You'd thinking that the tilting forward and lowering of the engine in the V7II would give a little more room for a taller engine with the existing tank.

Good point, but I'm assuming the jugs and heads and valve covers are all wider too, not just taller, no?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:13:39 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
I'm still thinking they'll throw on the large v7 tank.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"

Or. Put a version of this motor in the existing V7 Stone/Special/Racer.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero

I'm hoping that tank is just one they made for the test mule to throw the looks off enough so they still have the element of surprise at EICMA.

Oh, I hope so!
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
The next five weeks is going to pass too slowly...

EICMA - Milan.   19 to 22 November 2015.

http://www.eicma.it/

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
The next five weeks is going to pass too slowly...

EICMA - Milan.   19 to 22 November 2015.

http://www.eicma.it/

Exciting times!
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline zedXmick

• Gosling

:1:

2010 VFR1200F  DCT

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel

I don't know why you guys are fretting! The Nevada has been around in continous production outside of the USA... and the cruiser role smallblock is getting an update there.

The platform looks solid for multiple uses to me, like Rocker said "stick it in a Stone, Special, or Racer." Bam! What tons of people here and abroad were askign for, a V7 with about 10 more hp. (Probably)

Even though I'm personally thinking of withdrawing from the motorcycle game soon (pending a move plan to Germany), I can't help but be very excited for the upcoming show. This amount of change in a Guzzi is a once in a decade kind of thing. ;) For the smallblock, this and the V7 II transmission are the largest changes since production in the late 70's!  :popcorn:

-Joe

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
I'm fretting because I'm not optimistic they've got room for more traditional tank designs and because (and this is ironic considering Beetle's recent attack on me) I'm worried they are heading down a cruiser path when this could make a competitive Racer, a neo-LeMans, a baby Stelvio.

The irony is that I've finally accepted in more a cruiser guy from an ergo and style standpoint, though I still appreciate a gorgeous design no matter what the genre.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

bpreynolds

I'm fretting because I'm not optimistic they've got room for more traditional tank designs and because (and this is ironic considering Beetle's recent attack on me) I'm worried they are heading down a cruiser path when this could make a competitive Racer, a neo-LeMans, a baby Stelvio.

Come on, Kev.  Yr usually one of the most measured folks on this board and the last person I thought I'd be asking this, but are you into the Kool Aid?   :laugh:  I'm kidding.  A little.  Do you really believe Guzzi's version of a neo-Lemans or a baby Stelvio (even with 10 extra ponies - shoot let's just go ahead and say 20 extra ponies for dreaming's sake) would be "competitive?"  With a Tiger 800?  An FJ-09?  More pure sport touring bikes (neo-Lemans) are on the outs right now too.  Seems like retro standards and cruisers are what Guzzi does best.  I'm not saying they shouldn't develop other bikes but a bike like this one in the pics makes perfect sense to me from a company standpoint. 

I do understand some of what yr saying, or at least an aspect of it.  I still think the big Cali is too much "cruiser" for my tastes but that's just my opinion.  They do seem to be selling well.  I guess.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
You misunderstand me.

Competitiveness in the market place doesn't have to be competitive on the track.

I immediately dismiss any water-cooled bike in a performance comparison because I don't think the buyers are usually the same. But even if not it doesn't take a genius to know the air-cooled bike is going to need a significant displacement advantage to be competitive in that way.

Now when I say a baby Stelvio would be competitive, I simply mean it could attract buyers based on size and simplicity.

I think I already said the power to weight ratio of this bike COULD be in the 696/796 range. There would make the Baby S competitive with a Duc and Triumph Scramblers, but in a form that offered some wind protection and carrying capacity.

As for the Neo-LeMans it would fit in the classic category.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

bpreynolds

You misunderstand me.

Competitiveness in the market place doesn't have to be competitive on the track.

Now when I say a baby Stelvio would be competitive, I simply mean it could attract buyers based on size and simplicity.

As for the Neo-LeMans it would fit in the classic category.

I just think the Babio (baby Stelvio) would be DOA as per sales go.  Even still, the attraction is not lost on me; I've found the V7 to mostly be a fantastic surprise and almost revelation.  I've even thought while driving it that its power response and even, oddly, its burblish exhaust note reminded me of some very fine Honda XRs I used to own when I was young. 

And if yr talking about the Neo-LeMans in a kind of Ducati Sport Classic sorta mold, sign me up. 

Penderic

Bunch of observations on a Utube video .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwBzqrj8uKE

Online Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
I just want an ABS version of that

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
I fully expect that the new V7 engine will find its way into a variety of bikes and not just a cruiser.

I also think that, considering the current popularity of dual-sport bikes and smaller displacements, a Baby Stelvio would be a good seller for Guzzi.  Remember, everything is relative and a good seller for Guzzi would not require the selling of a huge number of bikes!

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
I don't think it's been discussed yet, but how much more power can be put into a V7 framed bike until it'll need a reaction-compensated final drive like its big brothers?  This would add extra complexity and more unsprung weight, as well as extra cost.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
I don't think it's been discussed yet, but how much more power can be put into a V7 framed bike until it'll need a reaction-compensated final drive like its big brothers?  This would add extra complexity and more unsprung weight, as well as extra cost.

Cal 14 doesn't have it.  Neither did any of the Tonti Californias.  Or, any Guzzis prior to those.

First reaction compensated Guzzi was Daytona and all the following spine-frame bikes.

Shaft Jacking is just something you learn to live with on shaft drive bikes with solidly mounted bevel boxes.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
In our magazine "Motorrad" a small article with pictures showed something that seems to be an addition to the V7 II line. They say that it is only a model variant, but....

Looking at the engine it seems to be different from what we know. I found the picture online here: http://www.insella.it/news/moto-guzzi-v7-ii-2016-arrivo-una-bobber-132796 . This to me is an altered engine. Perhaps it is only all cosmetically. Let´s see!

"Motorrad" also mentioned that there will be a small cruiser.

Interesting: in 2015 there have been sold 535 V7 (Stone, Special, Racer) up to the end of August here in Germany, second was the Cali 1400 with 118 units.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 06:59:59 AM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

elvisboy77

Cool bike!  Thanks for sharing!

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
The ground is pretty wet on this forum from so many folks peeing in their pants waiting for some real news.  Maybe we need a betting pool to keep us occupied until then.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here