Author Topic: T3 Fork Oil  (Read 1611 times)

Shadyapex

T3 Fork Oil
« on: October 11, 2015, 04:44:12 PM »
Hi All, I'm wanting to change the fork oil on my T3, mainly because it's a new bike for me and I just want to check out the steering bearings, wheel bearings, etc. and make sure everything's in good order. So I'm looking for oil recommendations. Also I'm assuming that I can simply remove the caps at the top of the forks to refill? Suggestions and things to look for are much appreciated. I'm not sure if the forks are original as pretty much nothing else on the bike is, the forks are the 35mm tubes and have a schraeder valve in the cap. Not sure if that's original or not.

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Re: T3 Fork Oil
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 04:49:24 PM »
ATF!
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline LeRoy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 04:59:24 PM »
The Schrader valve on top of the forks is likely not original.  The 850 T-3 did not have pneumatic or air-adjustable forks. Some later models such as the California II did have this sort. It may be that someone upgraded the forks prior to your ownership.

That being said, if the forks contain Guzzi parts (these may be Paioli internal dampers), then you can go ahead and use ATF as recommended by the first response.

Note, also, that the fork oil in Guzzi forks of this vintage does not perform any of the damping function. It simply keeps the innards oily and prevents internal corrosion. The exact weight and type is not critical as long as its a low viscosity type like ATF or a light weight fork oil. You'll want to pay attention to the quantity though.  Don't overfill.

If the internals are not some sort of conventional Guzzi part, you'll need to see what you've got before going further.
LeRoy (Bob Sharp)
Rochester, MI  U.S.A.
'86 LM 1000 (since new in '86)
'79 V1000 G5 (as of '08 and since sold)
'76 V1000 Convert (since Nov. 09)
'83 1000SP (as of Oct. 15)

Shadyapex

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 05:09:17 PM »
Thanks guys, the fork sliders have the Guzzi emblem on them but I don't have any idea of what's inside. Also I tried removing the top cap but it didn't want to come off even after I had unthreaded it all the way. Thoughts? The manual that I have suggests removing it in order to remove the slider with damping assembly. Maybe I should go deeper in order to see what the original builder put in there. My manual doesn't seem to mention the T3 when suggesting oil quantity. It only mentions the G5 and SP as requiring 2 and 3 ounces respectively. The oil that's in there now, or rather in the drain pan now, appears to be gear oil judging by smell.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:07:10 PM by Shadyapex »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 05:09:17 PM »

Shadyapex

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 11:31:27 PM »
I talked to Curtis today and he informed me that the damping units were FACs and to use 60 cc ATF. He's sending me new seals and dust boots so I should be good to go. I like those guys at Harpers, and they're absolutely always friendly, something I appreciate, not to mention having the answers.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here