Author Topic: Need advise on what waterproof boot/shoe  (Read 3947 times)

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Need advise on what waterproof boot/shoe
« on: August 29, 2016, 06:56:12 PM »
I'm tired of getting wet feet wearing my Redwings and am now looking for a decent waterproof riding shoe/boot. Looking to spend $300 or less and would like the following features:

-Waterproof or extremely water resistant even after several hours of riding in the rain a few damp spots on my socks are acceptable.
-Leather or breathable (no knee high rubber sheep lovin boots)
-Reasonable comfortable for walking around sight seeing
-Have a reasonable level of protection at least like my Redwing 953
-non-insulated
-Reasonable to break-in
-Laces or buckles nothing slip on

Leaning towards the Gearne "oiled balance" leather boots but not sure I want something that bulky. What say ye? What works for you?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 06:58:00 PM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Need advise on what waterproof boot/shoe
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 07:01:03 PM »
Combat Boots, get the lug sole.. if ride is all day rain I put some rubbers over them but if I just get caught in a shower my feet never get wet..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 07:17:15 PM »
They may be over your price point but Sidi Adventures have kept me dry. Just got some Sidi Canyons (more comfortable to walk in) and they got kinda tested on the way to the rally - dry.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 07:22:02 PM »
Lots of good waterproof boots out there now. I picked up a pair of TCX Air Techs last year. Longest heavy rain I rode in was about an hour and half. Kept my feet totally dry. Plus they breath and actually let air in. Didn't require any breaking in, comfortable from the git go.

Pete
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 07:23:19 PM by PeteS »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 07:22:02 PM »

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 07:24:55 PM »
Combat Boots, get the lug sole.. if ride is all day rain I put some rubbers over them but if I just get caught in a shower my feet never get wet..

No interest in carrying shoe condoms and after years of working construction in the mud and muck have cured me from deep lugged vibram pattern soles. To hard to clean out. For the last 20+ years I have bought smooth bottomed Redwing 953's and don't worry about tracking debris with me everywhere I go. 
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 07:27:50 PM »
I was all set to but Forma (highly recommended here and on the net for walking in, as well as being a good biking boot) but decided in the end I wanted the protection Sidi offers (comfortable walking, as far as I can tell, means compromises are made in the protection department). But for you, it tics a lot of your boxes and comes highly rated.

Side bar: I bought from Revzilla; with them you get free shipping and one free shipping back if the size turns out to be wrong for you.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 07:30:28 PM »
The Sidi Tour / Gore-Tex have been very good for me.   A riding buddy here swears by his Sidi Adventures...

They have a good bladder that really works.

Best,
Rob
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline ratguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
    • road kill
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 07:31:38 PM »
In my close to a million miles on motorcycles, from low end to high end, I never had "breathable" and "waterproof" work in the same piece of clothing but maybe because I don't pull over, I go through the storm head on but every single piece of waterproof/breathable clothing/boots I ever bought left me wet. Some through leaking down my neck but most from the toes/fingers inward.
Better to look for clothing/boots warm when wet!
JB
John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL

"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 07:41:50 PM »
I've got a lot of miles on my Sidi boots, and they have always kept me dry. As for comfort while not riding, these are comfortable (for me) even while providing good protection. GoreTex is still the class of the field for waterproof breatheability, but Hipora isn't bad and I would buy a boot with either one. I have some Hipora lines gloves that have stayed completely dry and were well-enough ventilated to not get uncomfortable.

A little less expensive alternatives are boots from Alpinestar and Dainese, who produce some good stuff about $50-100 less than the similar designs from Sidi.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline BoatDoc

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 08:30:32 PM »
I feel your pain! Having said that, and having owned a pair of the Gaerne Balance Oiled boots for eight years and a motorcycle trip around the world with them, I don't think they are what you are looking for. They are tremendously comfortable riding and walking but started leaking within two years and now are completely impossible to keep dry. I have heard the same from many folks.

I liked them so much however that I bought the new Gaerne All Terrain, which rumor has it, are guaranteed waterproof for life by Goretex. I found the best price at Atomic Moto in Oregon. They are slightly snugger than the Balance Oiled but seem just as comfortable. I stood for 15 minutes in a galvanized wash bucket with water up to an inch below the top and had no leaks. I've only put a few hundred miles on them since then, and only one T-storm, but so far, so good.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 08:52:44 PM »
I rode for years in various offerings from Hi-Tec's "magnum" line.  They're worn by the USCG guys up here as duty boots.  I used them for hnting, hiking, biking, and sauntering about the shoreline.  They're reasonably waterproof, breathe, etc -- and are on sale now at your . . .blah, blah blah, no affiliation

https://us.magnumboots.com/

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 09:39:18 PM »
No need to leave the comfort of Red Wing.  Check out the 4435.  Great protection (better than the 953), waterproof, and good for all day walking.  I don't usually ride in the rain, but got caught in a torrential downpour last summer and my only dry parts when I got home were my feet.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/4435-red-wing-shoes/4435-red-wing-mens-8-inch-boot-brown
Owen

2014 V7 Special

canuck750

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 09:52:58 PM »
I bought a pair of water proof boots from Cycle Gear in Phoenix last year, they have been great.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-hurricane-waterproof-boots

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 11:03:49 PM »
I use my Gaerne Balance boots (not the oiled ones) and waterproof them about once a year. I think I use Nikwax.

Trials boots offer great protection and are pretty flexible. Under jeans they look normal. You can walk all day in them. Or at least all the sections at the trials...
--
2001 V11 Sport
1972 Norton Production Racer Replica
1973 Norton Commando Interstate

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 04:11:04 AM »
Sidi!

Many, many miles in pouring rain. Some all day. Not ever have I had wet feet since I began wearing Sidi boots.

John Henry

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 05:48:36 AM »
Sidi.

I use the "On Road" model.

Above the top of your budget, but worth it.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

wahoo650

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 06:09:51 AM »
Picked up a pair of these Bates Adrenaline two weeks ago.  Incredibly comfortable.  Combination of a Bates tactical boot with motorcycle specific protection added.

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/adrenaline/20367M.html?dwvar_20367M_color=E08800#cgid=powersports&start=1

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 06:29:25 AM »
Sidi On Road (even though they've gone textile lately)

Regular non-motorcycle, construction-type boots do not have the height for my desires.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 06:47:26 AM »
Just to elaborate a bit, I wore the soles smooth on my Sidi On Road boots. Although I could have them repaired, I decided to investigate their current offerings. I replaced the old ones with these: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-tour-gore-tex-boots

They are leather and have the zip and velcro closure in the inside if the leg making them easier to deal with. My old boots are over 10 years old and still keep my feet dry, there is simply no tread left. The new ones did not disappoint either. $325.00 for boots that WILL keep your feet dry for 10+ years turns into a good value when you think about it in those terms. That is less than 35 bucks a year for dry feet!

This subject comes up a few times a year. Since wearing Sidi Boots, I have NEVER had wet feet under any circumstances.

John Henry

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 07:04:01 AM »
SIDI Black Rain Boots
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-black-rain-boots

Reasonably priced and, so far, waterproof.

Offline Solojoe

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 08:13:46 AM »
I have a pair of Forma Horizons that leak so badly that I won't wear them on a road trip. Had a pair of BMW boots that never leaked even-though the soles were worn beyond smooth. The Horizon's are the most expensive footwear I have ever invested in - huge disappointment.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:15:00 AM by Solojoe »
4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 08:16:15 AM »
Just to elaborate a bit, I wore the soles smooth on my Sidi On Road boots. Although I could have them repaired, I decided to investigate their current offerings. I replaced the old ones with these: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-tour-gore-tex-boots

They are leather and have the zip and velcro closure in the inside if the leg making them easier to deal with. My old boots are over 10 years old and still keep my feet dry, there is simply no tread left. The new ones did not disappoint either. $325.00 for boots that WILL keep your feet dry for 10+ years turns into a good value when you think about it in those terms. That is less than 35 bucks a year for dry feet!

This subject comes up a few times a year. Since wearing Sidi Boots, I have NEVER had wet feet under any circumstances.

John Henry

I got my Sidi On Road Sympatex boots in 2003 or 2004.  Can't remember.  They've seen a lot of miles, and the soles are worn out.  The leather is still good and they are still water proof.  I've ridden lots of rain with them, and even waded a few low water bridges.  Real good boots.  They were a huge investment for me, at the time, but they have proved their worth over the past dozen years.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline KBuck

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 08:56:39 AM »
A lot of good options today. I did my research about 5 years ago after seeing these at various motorcycle events over the course of several years. I also had a few discussions with current owners, and then decided to purchase a pair of Cruiserworks boots. They offer a few different styles. MSRP:$325.00. No regrets. They still look great, and my feet have remained dry through the worst of conditions. I would certainly buy them again, but to tell you the truth, I see no need too, I believe these will last several more years. Of note, they had a problem with their heels for a few years, but replaced them free, and they eliminated the problem. 

Red Dog

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 09:58:44 AM »
Been wearing them almost every day for over a year.  Easy on, easy off, lite & comfortable. True weatherproof my feet have never got wet.

Under $100.00 http://www.leatherup.com/p/Xelement-Boots/Xelement-Mens-Black-X19409-Performance-Boot/321377.html

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 12:06:11 PM »
BMW Motorad boots have worked well for me.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016, 12:23:08 PM »
whatever shoes or boots that is made with gore tex.

I got a pair of dainese tempest for a great price , not goretex , still good water proof.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 12:25:37 PM by arveno »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here