Author Topic: to cobin or not to corbin  (Read 9748 times)

Offline kemorobbie

• New Egg
to cobin or not to corbin
« on: March 28, 2016, 05:45:42 PM »
  need some help......having trouble with my stock Cali 14 seat.  The problem is i am getting pain in my tailbone and "cheeks" after about 30 miles or so....the tailbone is bad and does not get better.  is the corbin the right choice or should i go with the touring seat?  what are the strong points of the corbin vs touring ?  pics of anyones corbin on a Cali 14 would also be great.  thanks to all in advance 

Offline lost

• New Egg
Re: to cobin or not to corbin
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 06:48:50 PM »
I don't know if a Corbin will help the tail bone. The forward control seating position of the bike is not good for the tail bone or the lower back. That is why I have switched to Sport touring bikes. You cheeks can still get sore but you have more ability to move around to shift position. The slight forward lean means no direct shocks go up the back. Any how it works for me.

Jim

Offline rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 06:51:05 PM »
An Airhawk migh help in the interim, but I would have to agree that the stock seat leaves a lot to be desired.  I managed to find a used Mayer saddle for a Custom that is orders of magnitude better.  The Corbin offering in their website sure looks good though.  I had one on a Ducati years ago and after a long break-in, the chronic monkey butt was vanquished
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 07:07:05 PM »
I had the same issue with the stock seat on my custom. I then tried the touring gel seat which is more cushie but also gets hotter than Hattie. Then went to a corbin and I would highly recommend it, I also here good things about the russell day long. Well worth the $ if you spend long hours in the saddle.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 07:07:05 PM »

canuguzzi

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 07:21:44 PM »
Get a stock seat, any condition and have it custom shaped for you. You'll end up with something that really works. All the off the self seats, no matter who makes them are just that, off the shelf.

If you have a unique physical requirement, generic seats are pretty much a waste of your money. You're better off dumping 10 pounds of play-dough on your seat and planting your ass on that.

If you are going to spend hundreds of dollars on a custom name and don't get the custom seat how does that work?

Offline fubar guzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 07:24:38 PM »
forget Corbin total waste of$$$.Sent mine to Mayer an never regretted it.

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 07:33:32 PM »
EV has a similar problem with the position, and I sent mine to Spencer.  When I sent it to him I specifically told him where the pain points were and he worked from that.  He replaces some of the top foam with memory foam and adds the Supracor gel on top of the pan.  That plus a dead sheep fixed it for me.  At around $100 plus shipping (both ways) it's not a terrible investment if it doesn't work out for you. 

http://greatdaytoride.com/FAQ.html
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 07:48:26 PM »
Get a stock seat, any condition and have it custom shaped for you. You'll end up with something that really works. All the off the self seats, no matter who makes them are just that, off the shelf.

If you have a unique physical requirement, generic seats are pretty much a waste of your money. You're better off dumping 10 pounds of play-dough on your seat and planting your ass on that.

If you are going to spend hundreds of dollars on a custom name and don't get the custom seat how does that work?

I respectfully disagree about the corbin being a waste of $. For one, they will tailor the seat to your specs if you ask , I requested mine be 1/2 inch higher than stock and firm with silver stitching and two tone color scheme . It has been terrific. They are good people to deal with as well. The quality of there work speaks for it's self. I'm not saying there aren't other options, just that I am very happy with both of mine. I also have one on a griso.

Offline kemorobbie

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 07:58:00 PM »
I respectfully disagree about the corbin being a waste of $. For one, they will tailor the seat to your specs if you ask , I requested mine be 1/2 inch higher than stock and firm with silver stitching and two tone color scheme . It has been terrific. They are good people to deal with as well. The quality of there work speaks for it's self. I'm not saying there aren't other options, just that I am very happy with both of mine. I also have one on a griso.

any chance you can post some pics of both seats on the bikes?

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 08:27:54 PM »
I have owned two corbin seats and never again. A friend has a corbin and brags about how great it is but after an hour riding he is ready to go home. He doesn't have that problem on any of his three other bikes that don't have a corbin. As others have recommended go custom fit for your body.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 08:36:10 PM »

any chance you can post some pics of both seats on the bikes?

Will do tomorrow. I'll also get a pic of the guzi touring gel seat I still have and would part with for cheap$

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 09:05:43 PM »
I like Corbin seats, and had one for more than 100,000 miles on my V-Strom - that being said, I don't think their method of construction and design is well suited to the riding position on the 1400.

I currently have a Russell Day-Long on my Norge, and I will have such a saddle on any bike I own in future that is intended for more than just a hundred miles or so. I suspect the Russell design, together with it being a true, custom-built saddle, will be better suited to the Cali 14.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Lcarlson

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 09:59:42 PM »
You don't mention WHICH Cali 1400 model you have.

oldbike54

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 10:12:30 PM »
You don't mention WHICH Cali 1400 model you have.

The Buttsore model  :evil:

Before spending hundreds of bucks , try an airhawk .

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 10:22:49 PM »
The Buttsore model  :evil:

Before spending hundreds of bucks , try an airhawk .

Dusty

ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Stevie88

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 11:10:27 PM »
I've had several Corbin's along with the RDL and a Rick Myers. I'm  partial to Corbin.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 11:21:11 PM »
In my seat cover business I speak with dozens of riders every week.  Corbin is a 50/50 love it-hate it product.  99% of the comments I hear are just that-the owner loves it or sells it 'cause they hate it.  The above comments point to that.

Airhawks work well-I always have one with me on a long ride.  Somedays are just like that-a rider needs a change for whatever reason.
However, a seat shaped correct and designed for your weight goes a LONG way toward getting it right.  Seats and screens are so very subjective to the user that others experience is valid in a general way but only the owner knows what works for them.

All that said, the best feedback I get from owners of the bigger names in the market are from Russell owners and BMS owners.  Corbin is a closed cell offering, and the "break in" is simply your weight crushing the cells over time.  Firm is better than soft but IMO and several others there are better ways to achieve that result.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 06:36:28 AM »
When I first put the Corbin on the Norge I thought I made a big mistake. A few hundred miles later and I changed my opinion.  I got the heated option and I highly recommend it. There is a possibility that having the heated seat aids in the brake-in of the seat. My Corbin gives me numerous seating positions.  That said I cannot say that would be the best choice for the California. I think if I had a California one of those big ass RDL seats would be on it,  I just did not want to sit taller on the Norge and the low seat height of the California would permit a little extra height.

A number of my customers have gone with Corbin on the California and are happy. 
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 07:32:24 AM »
I had a Corbin Gunfighter on a Honda back in the nineties. It looked good and was an improvement over the stocker, but did not provide hours of comfort like seats I've had custom made (or the Denfeld on my old R60). Half the work when designing a seat is figuring out what makes the stock seat fail for the rider. With my Vintage, the seat was too low and had a crown that created pressure points at the center. I ordered a Sargent custom modification that raised the seat surface 3/4" and widened and scalloped the rider's area of the saddle. I also went for their Atomic Foam and a textured top and the result was a true 8-hour seat. Sargent was super-easy to work with and turned the job around in 2 1/2 weeks. They executed it well and I nailed what was wrong with the stocker.

There are lots of shops like Sargent that will do what you ask. However, other vendors that interpret your problem and deliver on-time are tougher to find. Rick Mayer crafted an excellent seat for my old KLR, but took months to do it (he also was difficult to reach). Russell is superb, but has a long waiting list for a build-date. Like anything, you can spend as much as you want, but expect to pay at least $400 for a quality custom re-do...more with leather and/or farkles.

All that said; if you do get a good comfy seat, your riding experience becomes worlds better. I know that this all seems to be an expensive bother, but the result is worth the trouble.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:31:12 AM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

keithl

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 08:08:50 AM »
Corbin= very good seat/very bad customer service. Seriously one of the worst run companies in America.   

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 08:35:49 AM »
Making a decent seat is not rocket science and I am surprised that so many 'custom' seats are not done well.  I did my own and after a couple of tries it is good for all day, day after day.  No real secrets to it.  http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/

If I were to buy one it would be a Russell.  I got one for my Honda NT and it was as advertised.  They said it would take 1000mi to break in and they were right, almost to the mile.  After that it was good for very long days.  It was more comfortable than the seats in any of my cars.

Gel and thermal foam.  I had a gel pad on my seat at one time.  It is OK but does not fix a bad seat.  It is also cold senstive, as in, it stays cold for a while after you get on the bike. 

I currently have thermal foam on mine.  Not all it is cracked up to be.  If I ever redo the seat again I will get rid of it and go back to plain foam.  The problem is temperature.  When the temp is below 60 deg the foam is hard and takes a while to soften (up to 45min depending on how cold it is outside).  Maybe if you never ride when it is below 60 the memory foam will be ok for you.  It probably would make a good 'topper', ie, the 1/2" layer that is put over the seat before the cover.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 08:39:32 AM »
Used to buy Corbin's (didn't know better).

Then I discovered the Iron Butt riders were using Russell.

First Mod on the Norge was a Russell.  :bow:

No more Corbin's........  :boozing:

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 08:46:12 AM »
Here's my Custom with the Corbin seat and a Hepco-Becker backrest:

I was pretty happy with the stock seat but Mrs. Prentice wasn't, which prompted the change.

When I first put the Corbin on I though I had made a huge mistake - Hard as a board, wider at the front which changed my reach to the ground.  I figured I would just use it when the wife wanted to ride and swap the stock seat back on.

I left it on for a couple of thousand miles and am sold.  First it's important not to confuse hard with comfortable.  My butt is still ok 4-5 hours into the ride.  I got used to the width which is not a problem, it's a bit more roomy so you can move around a bit, so I haven't taken it off since I put it on.

I totally understand the love it or hate it issue with Corbins. 

Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

keithl

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 08:49:21 AM »
When I sit on a Russel seat, it feels like I'm sitting on someone's lap.

Used to buy Corbin's (didn't know better).

Then I discovered the Iron Butt riders were using Russell.

First Mod on the Norge was a Russell.  :bow:

No more Corbin's........  :boozing:

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 09:22:14 AM »
When I sit on a Russel seat, it feels like I'm sitting on someone's lap.

Sort of like a lap dance in reverse, or ??   :grin: :grin:

I have to say, I was really happy with the Corbin I had on the BMW for a couple years and now 4 years of Corbin on the Norge with great success too.  It does sound like there are better options out there, curious about the price points to compare like to like.  Iron Butters definitely need the best in the business, I don't think I could do 1000 miles on the Corbin, but 600-700 is very easily done and comfortably.  In that case, I think it's probably me giving out sooner than the seat.  Curious to sit on a Russell or other option one day...anyone have a spare Russell Day long lying about that fits a Norge?
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

keithl

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2016, 09:31:25 AM »
Well it feels like it's supporting my thighs more than anything else.

Sort of like a lap dance in reverse, or ??   :grin: :grin:

I have to say, I was really happy with the Corbin I had on the BMW for a couple years and now 4 years of Corbin on the Norge with great success too.  It does sound like there are better options out there, curious about the price points to compare like to like.  Iron Butters definitely need the best in the business, I don't think I could do 1000 miles on the Corbin, but 600-700 is very easily done and comfortably.  In that case, I think it's probably me giving out sooner than the seat.  Curious to sit on a Russell or other option one day...anyone have a spare Russell Day long lying about that fits a Norge?

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2016, 09:57:19 AM »
Couple things to remember.  Gel just under the seating surface=bad.  Gets way to hot or cold.  Memory foam and such, with the exception of only one kind not readily available, is also a poor choice.  Too much compression and holds heat.

We've done tons of research into gels and found a specific product we use directly on the seat pan and then build up over it.  This material is an engineered product that acts like a shock-it will deform and recover, which is WAY different that a simple get (fake human fat) pad that does next to nothing.

ALL that said, hip tilt and several other factors come into play, which at least in part explains why some products work for one and not another.

Seats and screens, my friends.  VERY personal.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

keithl

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2016, 10:28:17 AM »
The fact that you mentioned "hip-tilt" tells me you know what you're doing. That makes a huge difference.  I think most stock seats don't take that into consideration at all.

Couple things to remember.  Gel just under the seating surface=bad.  Gets way to hot or cold.  Memory foam and such, with the exception of only one kind not readily available, is also a poor choice.  Too much compression and holds heat.

We've done tons of research into gels and found a specific product we use directly on the seat pan and then build up over it.  This material is an engineered product that acts like a shock-it will deform and recover, which is WAY different that a simple get (fake human fat) pad that does next to nothing.

ALL that said, hip tilt and several other factors come into play, which at least in part explains why some products work for one and not another.

Seats and screens, my friends.  VERY personal.

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2016, 11:14:37 AM »
Another Russell fan here. But like folks have said, this is a very personal choice. Typically a Russell will not look nearly as good as a Corbin, but luckily, once you are on the bike you never see the seat. I also think if you go with a Russell your chances of getting along with it are much greater than the Corbin (which seems to run 50/50).
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2016, 11:26:06 AM »
The memory foam for seats is NOT the same stuff you find for beds and pillows.  There is a specific version made for seats, in at least three grades of density (pink, blue and green from the place I bought mine).  But, the temperature thing is a killer for me.

1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here