Author Topic: v7 sport "fence post" rebuild  (Read 52397 times)

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
Re: v7 sport "fence post" rebuild
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2017, 07:57:39 PM »
Happy Birthday Si!

Thanks for the reports.  Would love to see all those new parts!
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2017, 08:21:30 AM »
     Yesterday I rebuilt the forks with new dampers, Wirth springs, seals and fork tubes. The old tubes were not only horribly rusted, but the right one was also bent.

I assume you got the fork tubes from MGC or MI?   When I put new tubes on my Guzzi, I went to my old standby "Forking by Frank", but afterward found they were actually cheaper from MGC!   I hadn't even thought to ask, since I was "sure" they weren't available.    These days I used Forking by Frank for unobtanium on the old bikes since the real thing are still available ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2017, 01:55:06 PM »
I got the front end parts and seat  from MG Cycle  and every thing else from MI. I try to use  MI as much as possible as they are my "local" dealer (about 400 miles) and they are really good guys and a pleasure to deal with, and Dave R really knows his stuff.  MG cycle sure has a great website and are fast and efficient. I feel we are really blessed to get parts so easily for old Guzzis. They generally  aren't hard to find at all. I used to get parts from Joe Eish, too. He was totally old school. He would send the parts with a bill, and I would send him a check. Plus a discount if you belonged to the MGNOC. Being a farmer, he would always ask how the haying season was going, the price of cattle, how the weather was,etc. etc. Having grown up in Akron, Ohio, I always enjoyed hearing how things were going back in "the old country", too. Another really cool, knowledgeable and helpful  old guy is Herm, the Del Orto distributor back in Pennsylvania. At one time, he was the Morini distributor. I know there are other good suppliers out there as well.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2017, 02:03:51 PM »
I used to get parts from Joe Eish, too. He was totally old school. He would send the parts with a bill, and I would send him a check. Plus a discount if you belonged to the MGNOC. Being a farmer, he would always ask how the haying season was going, the price of cattle, how the weather was,etc. etc. Having grown up in Akron, Ohio, I always enjoyed hearing how things were going back in "the old country", too.

I don't know if you were ever able to get to Joe Eish's place, but it was worth the trip if you were at a rally at New Cumberland or the Toronto Band Camp.

You'd head into the boonies, and about 200 yards before you just knew you were going to fall off the edge of the earth, there it was back in the trees.   You'd walk to the shop, shooing ducks and geese out of the way, and (as you say) "old school" was all over it.   He had brand new 5 and 10 year old bikes that I never had the nerve to ask if they were for sale or not .... !   Lots of fun.

Lannis

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2017, 02:03:51 PM »

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2017, 10:55:19 AM »
     My engine parts won't arrive until Tuesday, so yesterday was transmission day. When I drained the oil, no water came out and the old oil was pretty clean looking. I didn't see any metal particles at all. The neutral safety switch plastic housing was destroyed from exposure to sunlight so I planned to replace it. I had to use a slide hammer to get it out. The white powdery aluminum corrosion in the case was really bonded to the plastic. I had to scrape the bore to get it cleaned out. I would never expect a reaction between alloy and plastic. Then  I got the case all cleaned up and pulled the rear cover. Everything inside looked really nice. Hardly any wear and the bearings cleaned nicely and felt great. Just have to change all the seals. It still has the original style shift return spring. It looked fine, but I am upgrading it to the newer style as Dave R suggests in Guzziology as a preventative. When I got this out of the desert, the engine was seized and it was in gear. Once I got the engine freed up, I did manage to get it into neutral This was manufactured in June of 1973 and is registered as a 1974. It shifts on the left. Does any one know if its shift pattern would be 1 down and 4 up, or 1 up and 4 down? I know the shift drum is different, but this is the first Guzzi tranny I have ever had apart, so I don't know what to look for on the shift drum to tell me.

Si Abeid
Kettle Falls, WA

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2017, 12:28:21 PM »
   This was manufactured in June of 1973 and is registered as a 1974. It shifts on the left. Does any one know if its shift pattern would be 1 down and 4 up, or 1 up and 4 down? I know the shift drum is different, but this is the first Guzzi tranny I have ever had apart, so I don't know what to look for on the shift drum to tell me.

Si Abeid
Kettle Falls, WA
It should be 1 up and 4 down. It would be hard to explain what to look for on the shift drum to tell the difference.
Joe Walano

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2017, 03:43:32 PM »
 :1:. You up by the dam?
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2017, 03:58:58 PM »
One quick way to tell if someone put a later shift drum in if it looks like this one from a T3 (notice the detent slots):

If it has holes for the detent, then it likely hasn't been changed.

Charlie

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2017, 04:12:05 PM »
     Thanks, guys. It looks like the picture of the t3 drum. I would be happy if it shifted "normally". My muscle memory is pretty dialed in to the left side 1 down 4 up of the last 40  plus years. Tom, do you mean the Grand Coulee Dam? I am near the Columbia River 50 or so miles north of the dam. We are about 85 miles north of Spokane and 45 miles south of Rossland, B.C. Kettle Falls is on WA route 20, which farther west is the North Cascades Highway.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2017, 04:28:00 PM »
     Thanks, guys. It looks like the picture of the t3 drum. I would be happy if it shifted "normally". My muscle memory is pretty dialed in to the left side 1 down 4 up of the last 40  plus years. Tom, do you mean the Grand Coulee Dam? I am near the Columbia River 50 or so miles north of the dam. We are about 85 miles north of Spokane and 45 miles south of Rossland, B.C. Kettle Falls is on WA route 20, which farther west is the North Cascades Highway.

I'm not sure how early they went to the slots vs. holes. Eldos have holes (and backwards pattern). I'll take a few photos of the slots in the drum for the shift forks. That will give you a better idea.
Charlie

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2017, 04:49:22 PM »
I'm not sure how early they went to the slots vs. holes. Eldos have holes (and backwards pattern). I'll take a few photos of the slots in the drum for the shift forks. That will give you a better idea.

T3 shift drum again.

Charlie

Offline lti_57

• Directly above the center of the Earth
  • Gosling
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2017, 05:14:54 PM »
Good Progress Si
 can wait to see her.
You coming down Sunday for Breakfast at Felts Field?
I plan on  being there
2007 Guzzi Griso
1992 BMW K75

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2017, 03:39:14 PM »
I have gotten quite a bit done in the last few weeks. Cleaned up the frame and painted it. Opened up the tranny and renewed the seals. Reassembled the engine and clutch and reunited it with the transmission. The engine got new Gilardonis and pistons, the heads got new guides and exhaust valves, new rod bearings, timing chain and idler, and stainless oil lines.  Everything else measured out OK. Disassembled the distributor and and am waiting for points and condensers. The distributor was even full of bug nests. Bugs and sand were literally everywhere on this bike. I straightened out the bent right swan neck and reinstalled them and the forks to the frame. I am starting to be able to see it as a bike again. Starting in on the wiring harness. Got some new Road Riders, so can start in on the wheels, too.
Here is the new tank and the tool boxes ready to get turned green. Quite a contrast between the old seat and new!

Between the shot gun pellets, dent and rust inside, I figured a new tank was in order. Likewise, the old seat was totally worthless. Other than that, I am trying to use as much of the original parts as possible trying to clean and shine them as well as I can. I want to keep it's history and patina, but still look pretty decent. So far, it is cleaning up pretty well. I sure appreciate all the help and advice I have gotten from you all so far.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2017, 03:55:31 PM »
 :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2017, 04:22:55 PM »
That's an amazing amount of progress in a short time; it would be in MY shop, anyhow!  Good work.

Lannis

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2017, 04:37:23 PM »
Saibeid I am with Lannis on this,you have accomplished a lot in a very short period. You must have made this the #1 priority on your list. Or is your shop home to tiny elves that work at night? At this rate you will be ridding by June or July. Amazing and impressive.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2017, 04:58:14 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb:
Charlie

canuck750

« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2017, 06:38:29 PM »
Great progress :1:

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2017, 09:56:24 PM »
This is great. It really makes me want to find an old bike to restore.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline lti_57

• Directly above the center of the Earth
  • Gosling
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2017, 04:05:21 PM »
Wow Si i knew you were working on it But had no clue the pace
Great progress, looking forward to seeing it soon.
It found a good Home.

2007 Guzzi Griso
1992 BMW K75

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2017, 12:29:40 AM »
If given the chance, I'd have bought the bike. But I think it went to the right place - it's impressive how quickly it's coming together. Well done!

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2017, 01:25:45 AM »
 :1:

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2017, 11:49:05 AM »
Looking great Simon.  Very cool.
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2017, 06:06:14 PM »
One of the best posts in recent times. Like a good novel, and you involved us from the very start. Thanks and great going, somewhat of an inspiration !!

twowings

« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2017, 06:08:38 PM »
You guys that make a bike rise from the dead have my unending admiration...wish I had the garage space and the money 'cause I have the time...enjoying the progress!  :bow:

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2017, 09:33:20 PM »

anonymous photo upload

I restore loopframes and always had a hard time with those exhaust nuts... some of which I could just not remove. Messed up a few heads in the process. Then, I had a special took made that turned it into an easy proposition: This is a beast of a wrench that is designed to be pounded on with a hammer. I always cut the exhaust pipes, but, if you wish to save them you can cut the tool so that it fits over the pipe. I have been using the same tool for upwards of 30 or so heads and have never failed to remove the nuts quickly (well, some are not so quick, but they all come off). Contact me with your name and address if you still need to get those nuts off, and I will send you one of these tools.   Lee Davis
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2017, 06:13:58 PM »
     Thanks for the offer, Lee. I managed to get the header off awhile ago.
     With springtime"s arrival , I have been busy with other things, so have been working mostly on small things for the last month or so on the bike.  Got the swing arm cleaned up and painted and the bearings renewed. Also cleaned up and painted a whole bunch of small parts. I finally started in on the wheels. The old tires were so hard,I had to remove them with a sawzall and bolt cutters. I have new bearings ready to go in, but have a lot of cleaning to do first. Both Borrani rims have a dent. The rear is worse than the front. Does anyone know how to straighten them? Or does anyone know  of someone who can do it?

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2017, 06:41:44 PM »
Woody's Wheelworks offers straightening.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2017, 03:24:21 AM »
How's it going? I guess progress stopped for the summer.
1972 V7Sport. Owned by me since 1978.
1972 V7 700cc ex Vigili del Fuoco?
1954 BSA M33

Read my blog at www.racingrhino.wor dpress.com

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2017, 07:54:08 AM »

anonymous photo upload

Wow -- wish I knew about this when I buggered mine up getting them off the Eldo.   Thankfully, my machinist was able to repair threads in the head.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here