Author Topic: V7 Rear Wheel Removal  (Read 4906 times)

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
V7 Rear Wheel Removal
« on: November 13, 2017, 11:09:40 PM »
When I bought my V7ii Special I didn't think much about the rear wheel removal for simple tyre repairs or replacement. After reading the thread below I had a minor dose of the sweats and thought surely it's a simple job removing the rear wheel? Or is it not?

If anyone can add to the brains trust on rear wheel removal for tyre replacement that would be appreciated.

The best I've found is the well explained demo below. 
http://motoguzzimaintenance.wikifoundry.com/page/Breva+750+Rear+Wheel+Removal

V7c shaft/wheel thread.
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=93193.0

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: V7 Rear Wheel Removal
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 04:29:29 AM »
I use the first method, but I'll add that if you unbolt and pivot the shock on the left also you have more clearance.

I used the unbolt the rear housing method once to lube splines but then had the pinion pull out of the rear and was bummed (it was no big deal, but just not something I wanted to deal with).
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 08:25:59 AM »
I swing up LH shock and it comes right off, bit fussy w/rubbers but fine, I think the rear dr pull is really dumb. You don't need to do all that, it's 10min job.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 08:35:49 AM »
I swing up LH shock and it comes right off, bit fussy w/rubbers but fine, I think the rear dr pull is really dumb. You don't need to do all that, it's 10min job.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 08:35:49 AM »

Offline ramarren

• New Egg
  • Not Quite Anonymous
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 09:00:27 AM »
I pulled the rear wheel then the rear drive box on my new V7III Racer to check that the driveshaft splines were properly lubricated, since I'd heard a few reports of some being a bit dry from the factory.

• Put the bike up on the Abbas Superbike Stand to raise the rear wheel off the ground. (Use the 2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200 fitment kit with the Superbike stand, it's a perfect fit.)
  • Pulled both mufflers :: how complicated can it be? there are just four bolts.
  • Same for the left side suspension unit. The more access the better.
  • I made a little hanger out of a wire clothes hanger to keep the brake caliper from hanging on the hydraulic line.
  • There's just enough space to wriggle the wheel out without having to deflate the tire, and the stand gets it up high enough to give you some space. It's tight, but doable.
  • Once the wheel was out, it was just a couple off minutes to pull the rear drive and inspect the splines. They had enough lube on them, so I didn't think it necessary to pull the swing arm to check the u-joint splines. I added a little more lube.
  • With the wheel back in position to slide onto the drive pins, I fitted the cush drive rubbers that I'd coated with Vaseline. This makes them both slippery and a little sticky so it's easier to manipulate them.
  • Brake and spacer threaded in with no more than the usual fussiness. I lubricated the axle with some Vaseline too, it slid home easily.

The whole job took about an hour and a quarter end to end; I don't work fast, but it was fast enough.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:01:39 AM by ramarren »

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 04:07:02 PM »
So it seems no one here is doing the same as the first link I posted using the Breva as an example? It seems far easier than taking off both mufflers and the gear case/box. Unless you want to grease things while you're at it.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 04:32:24 PM »
I always use the method as in the first link. With perhaps a few minor variations. One of the benefits is to practice for the inevitable flat tyre on the road. I carry the appropriate tools & a spare tube, so when it happens, it's not such a big deal.

When I change out a rear tyre, I remove the final drive to lube the splines before replacing the wheel.

Note that with high pipes a la the Racer, the right hand muffler clears the axle & doesn't have to come off.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline ramarren

• New Egg
  • Not Quite Anonymous
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 07:43:33 PM »
So it seems no one here is doing the same as the first link I posted using the Breva as an example? It seems far easier than taking off both mufflers and the gear case/box. Unless you want to grease things while you're at it.

As I said, pulling off both mufflers is four bolts to undo ... it takes me all of three minutes.
I don't pull the rear drive to take the wheel off at all.

G

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 08:36:42 PM »
Sorry I misunderstood replies. Don't underestimate the power of poor sleep.

Posted elsewhere but here's another link to Sign216's excellent picture tutorial for removing the gearcase for those who want to.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sign216/5324450326/in/album-72157625569987011/

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 12:10:13 AM »
Sorry I misunderstood replies. Don't underestimate the power of poor sleep.

Posted elsewhere but here's another link to Sign216's excellent picture tutorial for removing the gearcase for those who want to.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sign216/5324450326/in/album-72157625569987011/

Thank you Motobug for the kind words.  I encourage all to join the yahoo group if only to access the stored files and links.  Joe.  See. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MG_750/info
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 01:11:26 AM »
Thanks for taking the effort to put it online.

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 03:50:15 PM »
Thanks for taking the effort to put it online.
Thank you Motobug for the kind words.  I encourage all to join the yahoo group if only to access the stored files and links.  Joe.  See. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MG_750/info

Second that! :thumb:...I am more or less hovering in the yahoo site for info all the time...heh

and Thanks Motobug for the original post and links!...into the archive it goes, and I like pictures :P
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here