Author Topic: Falcone Nuovo valuation  (Read 7741 times)

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
Falcone Nuovo valuation
« on: February 17, 2018, 05:32:34 PM »
A friend of mine has a 1972 Moto Guzzi Falcone 500 Nuovo in pretty mint condition that he's wanting to sell, but hasn't a good idea of what they're worth these days.  It doesn't appear there are any for sale nationally (that I could find), so I'm wondering whether anyone here might have a good idea.  All thoughts are appreciated.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Falcone Nuovo valuation
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 05:38:45 PM »
Detailed pictures and a detailed description/history would help.

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 05:48:05 PM »
There is one for sale in the US.  It is dark blue and located in Marin County just north of San Francisco.  It pops up on Craig's List about every 90 days then fades away then reappears.  Rinse and repeat.  He has asked $13K for it but I've never heard anyone bite.  It is pristine.  It is not listed now, so should reappear soon.  Keep an eye on the San Francisco Bay Craigs List.

The Nuovo never commands the same price as the older, traditional Falcone.  I don't know why.  It is a fine bike in its own way.  Just ask Nick Adams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwqdAhFzsf0

BTW, just to be pedantic, it should always be referred to as Nuovo Falcone (words in that order in Italian).  Never nuevo (Spanish) or novo.  And both words are THREE syllables each; new-OH-VOH fal-CONE-eh

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 05:50:56 PM by pehayes »

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 06:01:13 PM »
Thanks Patrick.  Yeah, 13k may be a bit rich for one of those.  I'm pretty sure my friend isn't expecting nearly that much for his.  And Rodekyll, I'm working on getting the pictures.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 06:01:13 PM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 07:27:43 PM »
are you buying it? if not, where is it located?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 09:06:30 PM »
No, I’m not buying it. It’s in the Los Angeles area.

Offline dsrdave

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 03:47:35 AM »
I've had interest in one and have been following prices.  Again price is very dependant on condition and how motivated the seller is.  I think 5-8k is realistic.
2-850T, 2-1000 convert/hacked, V11 sport, V50, centauro, '97 sport 1100, '71 V7 ambo, '76 850 Lemans,CX100,"83 LM III,1000SE, '91 LM V, '07 Griso, '53 super alce,moto parilla, zigolo, Lodola 175, Lodola 235,  '07 norge, '67 stornello, 57galletto, Nuovo Falcone, stornello ISDT, 52 Airone sport

Online huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 04:16:11 AM »
in europe they fetch 4-5000 euro , so you've got to be pretty desperate  to pay 13.000 dollar...
Having said that there arent that many for sale in the US..

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 06:03:05 AM »
in europe they fetch 4-5000 euro , so you've got to be pretty desperate  to pay 13.000 dollar...
Having said that there arent that many for sale in the US..

Right. Lots of them for sale here in Germany and Italy, of course. 5000 Euros will get you a fully equipped, fully restored example. Plenty for less than that, in lesser condition.

I had an appointment to look at one, which I would have bought, for 3500 euros. But it sold a day before my appointment.
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 07:39:36 AM »
The Nuovo Falcone is on an upflight!

lol

Please also be aware that there are two very different versions of this mighty bird.  The Militare (Military) version with the short roundish tank and single instrument is much more plentiful and typically the version most seen.

Guzzi also made a Civile (Civilian) version in much fewer quantities. The engine and running gear is primarily the same for the two bikes.  However, the Civile is trimmed out differently with dual instruments (tach and speedo) as well as a long narrow gas tank. Except for the last year of the Civile production, the livery was a red frame with white tank/fenders.  In '74 the red maroon tank and chrome fenders were featured in that last year of production for the Civile.

The Militare is likely seen in Olive Drab Green, dark blue, gray or other military or police-specified coatings.  A slew of these were on the European market a few years ago as surplus from the Yugoslav or Serbian army.

The Militare soldiered on for about 2 more years from the end of the Civile with a tarted-up tan livery (for civilian appeal) that they called the Sahara.

The Nuovo Falcone was never imported into the US. It wasn't even officially imported into UK.  It was a continental Europe offering that now resides with most examples in Italy and Germany.

They are very rare in the U.S. Nick in Canada along with yours truly are the only two regular riders of these machines with which I am familiar. Nick has a Militare and I have a Civile.

You can do a websearch and find many accounts on this forum and others from me and Nick.  Nick, has done several video clips that really capture the essence of riding a NFalcone.

We have an active and rich forum for the bikes on Adventure Rider that covers owner musings along with technical topics.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/guzzi-nuovo-falcone.849445/

There is also a website managed by a Scottish friend and fellow rider in UK that contains a lot of information.

http://nuovofalcone.createaforum.com/

There is also a Guzzi singles group on Google.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/guzzi-singles

Pricing??  That's hard to ascertain, especially in North America.  The $5-8k offered by someone else sounds reasonable for a Militare.  I'd add a premium for a Civile but I am prejudiced :)

My 1974 Civile (original paint)

White Civile ('69-'73)

Pristine militare

Sahara

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 01:14:35 PM by leafman60 »

Online huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 09:42:13 AM »
in europe the civile is not very sought after, i know a couple for sale, that have been for sale for some time
for example:

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/motoren/motoren-moto-guzzi/m1228723116-moto-guzzi-falcone-1973.html?c=8c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr
nicely restored , rebuilt engine
would make a nice ride.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 10:53:10 AM »
in europe the civile is not very sought after, i know a couple for sale, that have been for sale for some time
for example:

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/motoren/motoren-moto-guzzi/m1228723116-moto-guzzi-falcone-1973.html?c=8c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr
nicely restored , rebuilt engine
would make a nice ride.
ha
I'm not sure any of them are VERY sought after!

I think that will change with time.  Maybe not.

People who like this kinda of stuff are aging and ... dying off  : (

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 07:12:41 PM »
So here are a couple of pics he just sent to me.  My friend is the original owner, the bike has 23,000 km on it from new, and it was repainted in the original color in 2002.  He says it starts with one kick.  He asked me to help him sell it, so I'll be posting it in the swap meet soon.

[/url]
[/img]

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:22:59 PM by stmike »

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 07:21:53 PM »
Leafman, I really appreciate all the information.  Some interesting reading there.  I knew this'd be the place to come to find out more about these machines.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 07:24:18 PM »
So here are a couple of pics he just sent to me.  My friend is the original owner, the bike has 23,000 km on it from new, and it was repainted in the original color in 2002.  He says it starts with one kick.  He asked me to help him sell it, so I'll be posting it in the swap meet soon.

[/url]
[/img]

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 07:25:21 PM »

[/url]
[/img]

That is a Civile model that has been given a generous dose some kind of red paint but it is not an original color for the bodywork. They really got carried away with that paint. Everything is red.  My guess is that it was originally one of the white ones with a red frame.

That front fender is out of whack too.

If you give me a VIN, I can probably tell you the year produced.  I doubt it's a '74 unless somebody has painted the chrome fenders.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:38:35 PM by leafman60 »

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 07:38:26 PM »
That is a Civile model that has been given a generous dose some kind of red paint but it is not an original color for the bodywork. They really got carried away with that paint. Everything is red.  My guess is that it was originally one of the white ones with a red frame.

That front fender is out of whack too.

If you give me a VIN, I can probably tell you the year produced.  I doubt it's a '74 unless somebody has painted the chrome fenders.

I'll find out more about the color.  His father was a dealer for these back in the day, so he may have gotten it as a special order??  I'll let you know.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 07:40:59 PM »
I'll find out more about the color.  His father was a dealer for these back in the day, so he may have gotten it as a special order??  I'll let you know.

I highly doubt it was a special order.  Somebody probably just did a quickie paint job and made everything red, including the stands and the rear shocks.

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 07:42:08 PM »
I just texted him about the color, and here was his response:
"It was made for Bob Blair ZDS corporate red is original with a leather seat only one that was made at the factory"

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 07:47:04 PM »
I just texted him about the color, and here was his response:
"It was made for Bob Blair ZDS corporate red is original with a leather seat only one that was made at the factory"

I'm very skeptical but anything is possible, I suppose.  Maybe Carlo Guzzi's niece painted it herself.

Wrong decals too.

Only one like it for sure!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:48:37 PM by leafman60 »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 07:51:39 PM »
It may be a good bike for someone.

I would be careful .  Anyone interested should look it over closely and try to check the condition of the valves. Sometimes they wear in the guides.

Where is this bike located??

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:53:05 PM by leafman60 »

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 07:52:53 PM »
Truly, this friend is very reliable and I believe what he says.  I recently helped him sell a Ducati 750 GT, and the bike was stunning.  The buyer continues to be very happy with it.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 07:54:38 PM »
I am not saying that he is not telling what he knows but what he has been told raises doubts for me.

Just sayin.

Where is it?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:55:31 PM by leafman60 »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 08:03:16 PM »
I am not saying that he is not telling what he knows but what he has been told raises doubts for me.

Just sayin.

Where is it?

No, I’m not buying it. It’s in the Los Angeles area.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 08:32:42 PM »

Sorry.

I read that wrong. 

Was wondering more specifically.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 08:34:11 PM by leafman60 »

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 10:41:42 PM »
Sorry.

I read that wrong. 

Was wondering more specifically.
Right now it's about 150-200 miles north of me; however, my buddy will be bringing it down in his truck to leave it in our clubhouse, which is in Montrose near the base of Angeles Crest Highway.  About two weeks from now.

Online huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 01:59:50 AM »
looks like a parts bin special to me,  possibly by the importer? who knows.
 never seen a NF fitted with borrani rims, or chrome plated spokes.
having said that , would make a nice ride as it is , or a easy restoration.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 06:32:38 AM »
looks like a parts bin special to me,  possibly by the importer? who knows.
 never seen a NF fitted with borrani rims, or chrome plated spokes.
having said that , would make a nice ride as it is , or a easy restoration.

ditto

Yes, I noticed the rims too.

Like Hubert (Huub), I also think it could be a good rider or basis for restoration. 

We're just pointing out some non-standard/stock characteristics of the bike.

I certainly cannot say for sure, I'm not a mystic seer, but my guess is that someone had a deteriorated Civile with bad paint and rusted wheels and they did a makeover.  Replace the rims, paint everything red, use what decals available. The exhaust all looks new too.

I cannot imagine that the factory is responsible.  Even if they did a special color for someone, I don't think it would look like this.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 06:41:32 AM by leafman60 »

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 08:47:06 AM »

Selling a bike without a price tag is not easy.
I am sure he has a price in mind... but maybe he hope he could get more?
If he’s trying to get as much as possible he should put it on eBay and let the auction determine the price.

Nice bike I think he might get 5 k for it?
Not sure I am not an expert.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2018, 08:20:32 AM »
For perspective, this 1962 Falcone sold at MECUM in Vegas in Jan. for $16,500....and I thought that was a reasonable price given the condition... :thumb:  It was a nice example...

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here