Author Topic: Chopping a rear fender  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Psychopasta

• Gosling
Chopping a rear fender
« on: February 20, 2018, 09:44:05 PM »
Hey Guzzisti,

I want to chop some length off the rear fender of my bike. What's the best way to do a good job of it and get a nice finish on the new edge?

- Pasta
V50 Monza 1981
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone Special 2023
Honda Goldwing 2019
Aprilia Tuareg 660 2023
Ancient A65 Bitsa, in pieces

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Chopping a rear fender
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 09:50:47 PM »
What bike?

I'd try to preserve the edge by cutting the forward edge and rotating the fender, if possible.  Otherwise I'd cut it on a line and trim it with fender molding. 

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 10:49:35 PM »
Install the fender, tie a marker to a string, hold one end at the center of the axle, swing an arc with the marker while making a mark on the fender side. Use the same length on each side to make it even.   This will give you a profile that matches the wheel. Decide a length for the back, blend the radius's to your liking.  Use the skill saw with a fine tooth blade to cut, finish edge. I used automotive trim over the edge on mine.  There are several choices.  Door edge trim, heavy u channel and thin rubber u channel.  I used the thin rubber u channel in black on silver paint.

Offline Psychopasta

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 11:04:18 PM »
V50 Monza 1981
Honda Goldwing 2019
Aprilia Tuareg 660 2023

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 11:04:18 PM »

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 07:51:42 PM »
Here is what I have done on quite a few occasions with painted metal fenders.

Mark the shape you want to cut on the fender. Tape off the saved part of the fender with vinyl electrical tape, several overlapping layers back up on the fender. This is like making a stick on template. Get a Dremel or equivalent with thin abrasive metal cutting blades and carefully begin cutting. Just score the fender next to the tape, and then repeat making the cut a  little deeper each time. Make sure you leave the edges of the fender to cut all the way through till last, as this will keep it in tact till the end.

Important, the reason I use the vinyl electrical tape it to gage heat. The abrasive wheel will generate heat and damage the paint. Go slow, very slow so the tape doesn't start to melt. That will prevent damaging the paint. Next use fine sand paper to smooth the cut edge being careful not to get onto the outer paint. Once smoothed, remove the tape and touchup the exposed metal edge from the cut with a similar paint.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 07:59:06 PM »
Here is what I have done on quite a few occasions with painted metal fenders.

Mark the shape you want to cut on the fender. Tape off the saved part of the fender with vinyl electrical tape, several overlapping layers back up on the fender. This is like making a stick on template. Get a Dremel or equivalent with thin abrasive metal cutting blades and carefully begin cutting. Just score the fender next to the tape, and then repeat making the cut a  little deeper each time. Make sure you leave the edges of the fender to cut all the way through till last, as this will keep it in tact till the end.

Important, the reason I use the vinyl electrical tape it to gage heat. The abrasive wheel will generate heat and damage the paint. Go slow, very slow so the tape doesn't start to melt. That will prevent damaging the paint. Next use fine sand paper to smooth the cut edge being careful not to get onto the outer paint. Once smoothed, remove the tape and touchup the exposed metal edge from the cut with a similar paint.

Good^^^ but with a pneumatic die grinder^^^
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Psychopasta

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 10:27:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful.

I would have thought a Dremel was the tool for the job, but GuzzistJohn suggests a pneumatic grinder and Orange Guzzi suggests a SkilSaw, which seem to me much more powerful and, erm, brutal. Am I just being a wuss?

- Pasta
V50 Monza 1981
Honda Goldwing 2019
Aprilia Tuareg 660 2023

Offline mrrick

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 12:27:23 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful.

I would have thought a Dremel was the tool for the job, but GuzzistJohn suggests a pneumatic grinder and Orange Guzzi suggests a SkilSaw, which seem to me much more powerful and, erm, brutal. Am I just being a wuss?

- Pasta

Yes.  Chain saw will save even more time.   :evil:

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 02:19:44 AM »
An abrasive wheel on an angle grinder or band saw would be my choice.  I wouldn't use a reciprocal saw like a jig saw or sawzall.  They're hard on sheet metal.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 05:51:03 AM »
 I have "bobbed" many fenders using a variety of tools over the years...As mentioned I would roll the fender forward and cut the leading edge if possible..This cutoff blade in an electric angle grinder does do the job...It does leave a burr and takes finesse to cut a slight curve as you cut around side edges..and an angle grinder in the hands of an inexperienced user will not leave a pretty cut...Practice on scrap metal of about the same thickness...A very fine blade in a sabre saw can also do the job and some may find it easier to make a nice cut...Again, practice..

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 06:02:26 AM »
Cut with tool of your choice a smidgen long of the line, make a wooden chalk to clamp fender in vise or down to a bench and hand file to the line. This will avoid overheating the metal and give you better control of the final finish of the edge.     Or chainsaw, I take it you don't ride in the rain.  :grin:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:05:32 AM by lucian »

Offline Psychopasta

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 08:57:25 AM »
Chainsaw it is, then!
V50 Monza 1981
Honda Goldwing 2019
Aprilia Tuareg 660 2023

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 04:55:50 PM »
Chainsaw it is, then!

If that's the weapon of choice, might I recommend a Stihl 030 of the same vintage as the fender.  I've slain many a tree with one, and the fender isn't any stronger than a Doug fir.   :whip2:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here