Author Topic: SD-TEC clutch plates quick question  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
SD-TEC clutch plates quick question
« on: February 22, 2018, 10:06:57 AM »
So I'm wanting to replace my 43 year old clutch and hub with this kit here:

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4766

Mgcycle mentions "The plates in these kits are currently running approximately 8.3mm thick, which is a little bit thicker than the 8.0mm normal thickness." and I was wondering is this is anything at all I have to worry about, accommodate, adjust for elsewhere etc. I imagine it probably performs different and hopefully better than the oem plates right?
2019 V7 III Stone " Murci "
1975 850T " Guzziaughtsix "

jwinwi

Re: SD-TEC clutch plates quick question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 10:38:56 AM »
Just make sure the adjustment screw in the actuation arm (on the back of the trans) is long enough to get full disengagement before the arm contacts the trans.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 11:34:39 AM »
I have used those plates in four later models bikes with not real issues.

One oddity that I encountered in all cases, is that about 100 miles after you 'break them in', so to speak, you need to make a pretty significant cable adjustment. I suspect that the friction material just has a few burrs on it that are getting cleaned off.

Other then that, they appear to be a great product.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 12:01:30 PM »
As MG Cycles' blurb states, there can be issues on some bikes. Several times I've needed (to make) a slightly longer clutch pushrod to achieve full disengagement of the clutch, no matter how far the adjuster screw was threaded in. My advice would to be to buy the "Alternate clutch out body, double o-ring, slightly longer" along with the plates.
http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193&products_id=4793
That takes care of the extra thickness issue and the extra o-ring helps prevent leakage from the throw-out bore.

If you buy their springs too: http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193&products_id=351 there can also be an issue with the clutch dragging  when used with the SD-TEC plates. With the slightly thicker plates, I believe they can become "coil bound" and won't allow complete release of the clutch. I've found it necessary in a few instances to grind or sand ~ 1 mm off of one end of the springs. 
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 12:01:30 PM »

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 09:18:52 AM »
Excellent stuff here, thank you

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 08:15:43 PM »
 I put them (plates and springs) in my 87 LeMans and am really happy with them. When I first started the bike up, the clutch wouldn't release and I thought I'd done something wrong. All of the adjustments were totally slack, yet the clutch wouldn't release. I decided, what the hell, and did a test ride with it that way, and within a few miles it was fine, no problems since.

Like Wayne said, a pretty significant cable adjustment was needed shortly afterwards.

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 03:18:19 AM »
As MG Cycles' blurb states, there can be issues on some bikes. Several times I've needed (to make) a slightly longer clutch pushrod to achieve full disengagement of the clutch, no matter how far the adjuster screw was threaded in. My advice would to be to buy the "Alternate clutch out body, double o-ring, slightly longer" along with the plates.
http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193&products_id=4793
That takes care of the extra thickness issue and the extra o-ring helps prevent leakage from the throw-out bore.

If you buy their springs too: http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193&products_id=351 there can also be an issue with the clutch dragging  when used with the SD-TEC plates. With the slightly thicker plates, I believe they can become "coil bound" and won't allow complete release of the clutch. I've found it necessary in a few instances to grind or sand ~ 1 mm off of one end of the springs.

Should I buy new springs you think? Mine appeared perfectly fine when I went through there, had a 4 decade patina of course

Offline Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 06:17:28 AM »
Thirty,  do you have a clutch alignment tool?
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 08:46:59 AM »
Thirty,  do you have a clutch alignment tool?

I do not, mgcycle is currently sold out on their variety too I think

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 09:03:38 AM »
Should I buy new springs you think? Mine appeared perfectly fine when I went through there, had a 4 decade patina of course

There is a minimum free length spec. for the clutch springs (just from memory it's 28 mm?). If they measure up to this spec., then I reuse them sometimes.

An old clutch hub with suitable spacer, bolt and washer works perfectly to align and compress the clutch. That's all I've ever used.
Charlie

Offline Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 05:28:23 PM »
I do not, mgcycle is currently sold out on their variety too I think

If you can wait a couple days and are willing to get the shipping I can get you one.  I designed one to be 3D printed.  Have several on hand.  So far, I'm the only one to use it.  Tested it about 30 times.  It works well.  I'm looking for someone else to try it out and give some feedback.
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here