Author Topic: When did you know it was "yours"  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
When did you know it was "yours"
« on: March 22, 2018, 03:07:19 AM »
How long did it take, or what had to occur, before you knew your bike could never "belong",
to anyone else?
I can only think of two bikes in my line of about forty, that will always be "mine", even if I sold them.
The first one is a Suzuki GT 750 and was always referred to as Pete's water bottle.
Second is my Norge, it will never be for sale because it's worthless due to the kilometres and I'd have to get an offer many times it's current value.
Even then I wouldn't let it go.
There's been Triumph Daytona 955 i's, MV Agusta F4 SR's, Ducati Darmahs, and a plethora of stuff in between but sold them without a pang when I spotted the next one...
Funny really, because I could live with the fact if it let go in a shower of shit and corruption, but would be devastated if it was stolen.
It will always be "my" bike.
Do you or have you had a similar relationship with former or current machines ?
First one 1978

Second one 2007

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 03:31:07 AM by Huzo »

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
Re: When did you know it was "yours"
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 06:58:32 AM »
There are also two for me with a possible 3rd in the running.

First was a Sachs/DKW 125. It was my first 'real' enduro bike that I rode and races all over the place. Very reliable and capable machine if a little heavy and slow.

Sold it on to get a proper street bike which is my 2nd - CB400F. This one stole my heart and never gave it back. I lost it to the realities of being a young father indeed of a (gasp!) mini-van. I still get a little weepy when I think about it.

The possible 3rd is the V7 III I just purchased. After barely 200 miles I'm smitten with it's balance and personality. It has the potential to become my all-time favorite - time will tell.

The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 07:07:46 AM »
 You have the equation bassackwards , the motorbike really owns you , not the other way 'round  :laugh:

Actually I am not truly sentimental about any machine , I love what they can do , the people that ride them , and the adventure of riding , and have given many a motorbike a "pat on the tank" for being "a good girl" , but after all , they are only a machine .

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 07:13:06 AM »

russian photo hosting site

Can't see myself ever selling this old beater as long as I can still throw a leg over. The old machine has just provided me with so many good times.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 03:17:10 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 07:13:06 AM »

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 07:33:21 AM »
Like Huzo, I have owned and ridden >33 bikes in 50 years, and in the end...we are all "just caretakers" of these fine machines, (IMHO). 

However, if there was one, it would have been my first, at age 14....1965 Yamaha YG1-K, 80cc, two-stroke Rotary Jet.

I saw this "nut & bolt" restored example, exactly like the one I had, in Ontario, CA about 10 years ago, and the owner was asking $6,000 for it...which meant it really was NOT for sale.  Nice little tiddler, however!  :1: :thumb: :cool:

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 12:42:18 PM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 07:42:20 AM »
My Vintage is my favorite, but my �74 Norton Interstate and my �60 BMW R60 were cherished companions also. I found plenty to love in my other bikes, but these three were special.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 08:09:30 AM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 09:15:04 AM »
I've had a lot of really nice motorcycles that I really enjoyed over the last 48 years (I'm shaking my head in disbelief just looking at that sentence!).

I've felt really at home on some of them, enjoyed some more than others, but I'm afraid I'm incapable of being faithful to one bike for very long.   

I met a guy last year on the road that had an R75/5 that he'd owned since new that had just turned over 500,000 miles.   I (of course) asked him all about it and he was glad to tell me.    He'd done most all of his own maintenance to it - the top end, clutch, rear drive, etc had all been reworked one or more times, but the crankshaft and cam were original.

He was as comfortable with that bike as if it were a soft old shoe, could repair anything on it on the road; and I must admit I envied his loyalty and stick-to-it-evness.    I'd love to be that comfortable with a bike, but through my riding life I've had different things that drove me - the desire for a big fat Electra-Glide, the desire for a hard-edged sport bike, a sport tourer, or just a whim of some kind.

I think it's great when people can do that, but it's not in my nature, and it's too late to change now!

Lannis
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:16:10 AM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 11:59:11 AM »
"Sworn to fun, loyal to none."  'Bout sums it up fer me.   :bike-037:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 12:42:06 PM »
My one and only. My true love. My soul mate.... my CB750 was mine when she first fired up after years of neglect. Every part I mined from the boneyard, every roadside adventure, and twine-and-wire fix made us closer. Then it just kept getting better... the new wring harness, the new electronic ignition system, every improvement, just a little tighter together. I couldn't sell her now if I had to.

And the CB350. My dad bought her in 1973 from a kid that rode from California to the Yukon, and wanted to offload it when he got there. Dad bought it for $200 at the time. It went with us everywhere for my entire childhood til I left home. It was the very first motorcycle I ever sat on, ever went for a ride on. I recall sitting behind my dad, elated and terrified at the same time, staring directly sideways as the trees whizzed past. The year I left for university, Dad sold it. My folks moved towns a couple years later. Seven years later, I was out for a walk in my folks new hometown, and saw bars sticking out being a bunch of cardboard boxes in a guy's garage, and me being me, I approached him to ask what he had back there. He said "an old Honda", so I pressed him a bit on it. Said he wanted to get rid of it, never rode it, and it was taking up space. We uncovered it, and there it was... faded metallic maroon paint, flat decades old rubber, and layer of dust a mile deep. My dad's 350. I went home, pulled out some old papers, and checked the numbers, and it was confirmed. So I bought it off him. $250. 7000+ original miles on the ODO. It's never being sold.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 12:45:23 PM »
I bought this beat up old thing from the local paper in March 1978

It was my only transport and took me everywhere. Other bikes have come and gone but this one always makes me smile and I'll never get rid of it. I've rebuilt it twice but never fully restored it. I've done 160,000 miles on it and it had 75,000Km on it when I got it but the odometer didn't move. I've posted photos before of how it is now.

1972 V7Sport. Owned by me since 1978.
1972 V7 700cc ex Vigili del Fuoco?
1954 BSA M33

Read my blog at www.racingrhino.wor dpress.com

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 01:12:38 PM »
Yeah but there is a time when you just have to move on.

How do you figure? Want to move on, maybe. But have to move on? No. As long as the bike you've bonded with continues to serve you well, parts are available and you (or someone else) can keep it running, why would you "have to"?

My own "keeper" is my '69 Ambassador, purchased in '97 with 36,360 miles on it from the second owner. I've put 75k miles on it now and it's still the best bike I've ever owned. It's not fast or pretty, but it is very reliable, comfortable, easy to maintain and enjoyable to ride.

For the first 100 miles or so, I wondered why the heck I bought it though. Coming off of a '89 Mille GT and '86 Morini 350 K2 (both bought new), it seemed to be much older than it was and not much fun to ride. Eventually, I learned how to ride it the way it wanted to be ridden and by 1000 miles I knew it was a keeper. 
Charlie

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 01:18:54 PM »
I've sold them all but the current stable, dozens of them, so apparently not yet. I'm just a 'hoe.  :laugh:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 02:01:06 PM »
The moment I saw Anni's photo online I was in trouble. :drool:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:26:21 PM by Guzzi Gal »
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 04:53:05 PM »
It has to be my 73 Eldorado... In my opinion, Charlie, sums up loopframe ownership the best

"For the first 100 miles or so, I wondered why the heck I bought it though. , it seemed to be much older than it was and not much fun to ride. Eventually, I learned how to ride it the way it wanted to be ridden and by 1000 miles I knew it was a keeper. "

I remember years ago, when I first got it , I was here asking questions, like "why is the shifting so industrial?" etc, and someone, here more wise advised me "It will teach you how to ride it, just give it some time"

That is the best advice! A Loop will grow on you, and they have a special way of becoming "keepers" for sure!
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 05:04:20 PM »
People "adopt" animals, stuffed toys, highways . . . why not bikes?  You could have a formal agency with the power to vet and qualify/disqualify "guardianship" to the families that submit their profiles for approval.  There would be rules of course for the care and treatment of the bike, the worthiness of the applicant to host the bike, and the bike would have rights under the rules the same as a gerbil or goldfish does.  Periodic inspections of the bike and premises would be required, and the agency would have the power to remove any bikes from any environment that was not considered safe, healthy, and stimulating.  I can see an entire industry and bureaucracy developed to support folks' emotional attachements to machinery.

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 05:27:38 PM »
I've ever only purchased one motorcycle with the intention of selling it, and that was only to help clear out a friend of the family's garage when her husband died. I've let a few go because I had to, but the last one like that was in 2000. I've kept everything since. (but for that fun-to-ride but hated '77 Sportster)

They're 'mine' as soon as I lay eyes on them.

Garage is gettin' tight tho...
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 05:32:34 PM »
My Eldo - never going anywhere, too many memorable miles together

but after acquiring my third Panther after a 45 year hiatus, the other Guzzis better watch out  :undecided:

Nick

canuck750

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 05:36:58 PM »
This one, once I had it sorted in 2014 I really bonded with it

Not fast, not terribly smooth by modern standards, but I like it better than any other vintage bike I own or have owned.

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 06:31:25 PM »
People "adopt" animals, stuffed toys, highways . . . why not bikes? 

I'll confess, I anthropomorphize those things that evoke great enjoyment.   :kiss:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 06:32:48 PM »
40 years ago in a few weeks, owned loads since but this is , has always been, will always be, my transport. Something clicked April 1978
This just back from shop

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 07:06:24 PM »
I'll confess, I anthropomorphize those things that evoke great enjoyment.   :kiss:

I've had the same bike since 1978.  It's outlasted my marriages.  It's been around longer than my kids, dogs, or other possessions.  On and off it's been my only transportation for a year or more at a time, and it has a conservatively-estimated 200k on it.  I keep it up -- it's ready to cross the continent tomorrow.  But it's not a member of the family.  It's not a pet.  It's a motorcycle.  I knew it was "mine" when the DMV gave me the title.

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 10:01:56 AM »
They've all been "mine" or I wouldn't have bought 'em in the first place!  Current ride is a 2016 Stone II.  My past favorites have been a 1957 Triumph Thunderbird, 1968 BMW R-60, and a 1976 Honda GL 1000 Wing.  Each of those served me very well.  Happy with my Guzzi and plan to look at the new Enfield twins when they're available.

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 06:23:20 AM »
This one, once I had it sorted in 2014 I really bonded with it

Not fast, not terribly smooth by modern standards, but I like it better than any other vintage bike I own or have owned.

That's a beauty Jim.......... I have never owned or ridden a loop but look forward to the day.

Ciao

Offline 73eldorado

• Theres a fine line between tough and stupid
  • Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2018, 09:43:45 AM »
1973 Eldorado, every time I ride it I love it a little bit more. It brings a smile to my face every time I look at it and it will never be sold.

1973 Eldorado
1981 Lemans
2006 Hayabusa
1978 Suzuki GS 1000
1997 Honda XR400

Offline Clydeman

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2018, 12:42:47 PM »
I never kept one long enough to bond with it. I do wish those two new early 70s Nortons ( Yellow 750 Combat Commando, Black 850 Interstate ) were still in the garage. 

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2018, 04:00:20 PM »
I've LMAO many times and always have a huge grin when on the Daytona and the '77 LM. The latter sold a year ago. I still have a sore a** from kicking myself. I drove big trucks for millions of miles. Once I'm really comfortable with all the senses relative to riding /driving and plenty of trust after lots of 'uninterrupted' miles, we're good to go anywhere. However, I never name them.
   R3~ 

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2018, 01:29:01 AM »
My Vintage is my favorite, but my �74 Norton Interstate and my �60 BMW R60 were cherished companions also. I found plenty to love in my other bikes, but these three were special

I don't know why, but I LOVE that Beemer..!

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2018, 07:25:42 AM »
Great Stories...

For me there are two.  The first started in 1979 when the Local Yamaha dealer had it's new batch of XS Series bikes.  400, 750, 1100.  I fell in  love and determined I'd own one. I had a 2 Stroke Suzuki 500 at the time, and a slew of others through college, but in February of 1986, I was looking through the paper, and saw a 1979 XS1100 for sale. I went and bought it and the rest is history 127K miles, and the motor hasn't been opened since 25K check of valves.... Over the years I have a cross threaded spark plug, and leaky valve guide seals make initial startup if it sits more than a month makes a smoky mess, but other than that she is still a great bike.  I retired it from daily riding duties in 1996, but still kept it in perfect running condition before I put it in storage (havent seen it in 3 years), and though it still handles like King Kong, I love the beast. I've had dozens of bikes over the years, but only one other has said "you are mine" with the same authority.

That would be the GRiSO..... I've told the story before, but after 8 years on an FJR 1300 as my primary ride, and the Army bouncing me all around the US necessitating the storage of my older classic bikes, I was BORED with riding and thought I had outgrown riding. At 50+ I thought it was just part of life. But not wanting to give it up, I decided to 'downgrade' to a naked sport standard, something to pop around town, short fun rides, etc, and easier to tuck away in the corner of a garage than a full dressed Sport Tourer with luggage, top case, etc. So I started shopping in the 4K range.  Saw a pic of an 07 GRiSO in craigslist, and liked that it was unique...... Went to MI in Seattle, oogled a bit, and Dave threw me the keys.... I turned right on Aurora Ave, and by the time I hit the bridge was saying "how the #&#^ have I never ridden a Guzzi before"  Sure the power was 1/2 the FJR, but the rest was addicting. I went back, rode home, and found that the GRiSO was "IN" me. Called that next day, made the deal, and havent look back..... Between April and July I had ridden 3000 miles, after averaging 2K a year the 3-4 years prior on the FJR. The JOY was back.  I like the Norge, but the GRiSO is special....

I'll Never sell the XS1100 or the GRiSO.....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 07:29:08 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2018, 11:14:22 AM »
My Vintage is my favorite, but my �74 Norton Interstate and my �60 BMW R60 were cherished companions also. I found plenty to love in my other bikes, but these three were special

I don't know why, but I LOVE that Beemer..!

It was a sweetheart...never let me down. It wasn’t very powerful, but could maintain 70mph as long as I could and was extraordinarily comfortable. I rode it all over Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico back in the nineties. Once, I ran into a guy at a rally who had a white one that was otherwise exactly like mine. They had to check our VINs to determine which was the oldest bike at the event. It was mine, but the other was only two digits newer! I sold it to the same fellow I bought it from...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2018, 11:23:42 AM »
Well, the CB350 is *Mine* because it's only been owned by two others.. the second being my father, since '73. And it won't be owned by another, until such time as I deem someone worthy of becoming it's caretaker.

My '72 SOHC CB750 became mine when it first sputtered to life after years of neglect. Everything past that just cemented the bond. Every roadside breakdown as I got it sorted, every ratbike fix in those first couple of years, the ignition wire fire at 120 km/h, the trailer plug ignition switch repair in the gas station parking lot. The years brought a new electronic ignition, new wiring harness, new switches and master cylinders, new suspension front and back... an endless amount of upgrades and fixes. This is MY bike, and nobody will ever love it the way I do. Not a boast, just a fact.

The V7? Is getting there. Slowly. I'm getting pretty attached to it.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here