Author Topic: Anyone here ever owned/ridden a chopper?  (Read 11803 times)

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Anyone here ever owned/ridden a chopper?
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2018, 08:47:45 AM »
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2018, 11:28:05 AM »
Many years ago I had a '70's Honda 500 4cyl with the forks about 6 over with stock rake. Also had a '56 Triumph that look a lot like RER's pic but with a stock front end with the chrome nacelles. So I would say it was more of a bobber.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline oldmxdog61u

• Gaggle Mentor
  • enjoy life...
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2018, 04:17:45 PM »

Sweet.
Enjoy life!
1985 lemans 1000 (gone)
1996 Sport 1100 (gone)
2007 norge (ahhhhh)
1984 yz250 (gone to museum)
1977 Cr125m Elsinore (sold)
1973 HD FX (back to my bro)
1974 Eldorado (grace)

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2018, 10:22:29 AM »
Can't believe no one's used the term "visceral" so far <shrug> I do like the bobber/chopper what ever you call it, nice work!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2018, 10:22:29 AM »

Offline F-22

• Hatchling
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2018, 10:47:28 AM »
I expected to see some cool Guzzi choppers, but I guess the wide engine does not fit well with such style (more of a cruiser).

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2018, 10:48:04 AM »
My first motorcycle was a Suzuki Savage, a 650 cc single that was a bit of a chopper. It rode pretty well, and I really enjoyed riding it.

Here's what mine looked like (but without the windscreen):
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2018, 11:51:19 AM »
When I first started riding I wanted a chopper. What I had was dirt bikes.  :grin: I guess I spent too much time reading chopper magazines and hanging around with old time riders. The central theme about choppers to me was that you build it yourself. This is mostly an illusion, since few people have the skills to extend a springer or girder front end, or fabricate a custom fuel or oil tank, construct a seat, do a proper weld on a frame.  SO, the magazines became a pipeline to supply suckers customers to the guys who could make those products. So many choppers are bolted together warehouse specials.  :embarrassed:  I always enjoyed seeing the home made bits that solved various problems, or provided some touch of originality or art. I had a "poor boy chopper" Triumph with an extended front end and struts for shocks. But it was pretty much unsafe junk, and I ran it into a utility pole,  :boozing: thereby fulfilling the prophecies of most everyone who knew me..... :grin:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2018, 12:16:45 PM »
I rode a couple in the '70s.  Both Yamaha 650s

Both had extended forks, one had a rake change and the other not.  The one that was raked drove OK, the other one, not so much.   Of course I was loaded at the time, so who knows?

Loaded?!  John, I'm shocked!!  :grin:
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2018, 12:39:38 PM »
When I first started riding I wanted a chopper. What I had was dirt bikes.  :grin: I guess I spent too much time reading chopper magazines and hanging around with old time riders. The central theme about choppers to me was that you build it yourself. ....

That's how I remember it when I was coming along.

1) Go to an LAPD or CHP auction (take a battery and some gas and a tire pump).   Do NOT bid more than $250 for a tired, worn out Duo-Glide panhead police bike; that would be a ripoff.

2) Strip it down to the frame.  Scale the dresser stuff into a lake or sell it for scrap.

3) Cut the frame join from the bottom up just behind the steering head, about halfway through so that it can be raked.

4)  Stick an 8' bar through the head, heat up the cut frame point, and (using the long bar to maintain alignment and keep it pointed "straight ahead") gradually bend it back the desired amount.

5)  Cut two triangular plates to reinforce the new head angle, and weld them on.

6) Get out the Bondo and "blend" all the joints and lugs so that they're nice and smooth.

7) Buy a junk springer front end from a pre-'49 Harley.   (If you can get an "XA" springer, so much the better; they're already 2" longer than stock).   Take two sets of Ford Model A wishbone radius rods (common junkyard parts) and weld them in place to extend the front end the necessary length.

8) Customize as desired.   A "jockey lid", forward controls, spool front hub, and Maltese Cross taillight are "de rigueur" for proper street cred.

9) Try looking as much as possible like a Dave Robinson drawing as you jam down the Ventura Highway ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2018, 12:59:13 PM »
That's how I remember it when I was coming along.

1) Go to an LAPD or CHP auction (take a battery and some gas and a tire pump).   Do NOT bid more than $250 for a tired, worn out Duo-Glide panhead police bike; that would be a ripoff.

2) Strip it down to the frame.  Scale the dresser stuff into a lake or sell it for scrap.

3) Cut the frame join from the bottom up just behind the steering head, about halfway through so that it can be raked.

4)  Stick an 8' bar through the head, heat up the cut frame point, and (using the long bar to maintain alignment and keep it pointed "straight ahead") gradually bend it back the desired amount.

5)  Cut two triangular plates to reinforce the new head angle, and weld them on.

6) Get out the Bondo and "blend" all the joints and lugs so that they're nice and smooth.

7) Buy a junk springer front end from a pre-'49 Harley.   (If you can get an "XA" springer, so much the better; they're already 2" longer than stock).   Take two sets of Ford Model A wishbone radius rods (common junkyard parts) and weld them in place to extend the front end the necessary length.

8) Customize as desired.   A "jockey lid", forward controls, spool front hub, and Maltese Cross taillight are "de rigueur" for proper street cred.

9) Try looking as much as possible like a Dave Robinson  Mann drawing as you jam down the Ventura Highway ....

Lannis

2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2018, 02:45:41 PM »

Hal Robinson, then.  Get 'em mixed up.

Either one!

Lannis
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 06:11:54 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline cognosticator

• New Egg
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2018, 06:04:05 AM »
Here is one of a few I had in the 70's, this was around 1979 and my last chopper.

Jerry Holland
2013 Griso 1200 8V SE

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2018, 08:28:15 AM »
Jerry,  Sweet bike!!
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2018, 08:41:37 AM »
Loaded?!  John, I'm shocked!!  :grin:

Back then when i got loaded it wasn't on very fine Colorado Malt Whiskey. 

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2018, 09:15:15 AM »
Yes. And the answer is "depends on how they're built". Some are rickety deathtraps, built by people who have no concept of geometry or fabrication. Some are fantastic. Which can be said of any custom vehicle, really.

Got one in the garage now, being built. The frame was built by CycleOne Manufacturing, front end is Harley, engine is SOHC CB750. 6" up in the downtubes, 4" out in the backbone, gooseneck gusset, 36 degree rake. Trail should, when all is said and done, be about 4.5".
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2018, 09:23:32 AM »
Never rode one, and maybe I won't, but I've seen some I liked and some that made me scratch my head.  Here's one I saw at the Kentucky Kickdown a couple of years back.  CB750 with chain frame and bars.  The thing wobbled like a bowl full of jelly.  Imagine peering around the side of the tank to ride it and all of the other scary stuff!  Skilled welder, no doubt. 

Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2018, 12:28:18 PM »
I’ve ridden a number of choppers over the years. All of them had atrocious steering, very little cornering clearance, a punishing ride, and some sort of ridiculous handlebar. They are very popular here, but none of them get further away than the local taproom...at least when under their own power. I think that choppers are not motorcycles in the same way that I have come to think of them. Instead, they are more an artistic interpretation for motorheads. I like good looking bikes, but not at the cost of mechanical competence.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2018, 06:51:57 AM »
Rode a rat BSA with at least a 10" extended/raked front and no front brake in the late 70's. This explains why I've never ridden, much less owned, another chopper.

I do appreciate the workmanship and even beauty of a well executed custom though...
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline lost

• New Egg
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2018, 01:18:31 PM »
I made and rode a chopped Duo Glide from Cleveland, Oh to Florida to CA and back. It helped to be young at the time but I rode it for 5 years then got some sense. At the time if riding an HD you needed to sleep with it to be sure it would still be there in the morning. Finally ended up with road bikes or sport touring. I would still be riding but last year I met the back end of a pickup and broke my neck. Am able to stagger around a little but not able to ride yet.

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2018, 05:56:59 PM »
Hang in there.   :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Motomoto

• New Egg
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2018, 11:57:43 PM »
If your chopper is uncomfortable it was built for someone else. Google El Diablo Run. Put it on your bucket list.

Offline scura283

• New Egg
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2018, 06:02:50 PM »
I built this one when the OCC chopper craze was going on, from an '02 Sportster that I purchase new.
Started as a standard red 883 with wire wheels.
The forks are Seeger Cycle 8" over tubes with an additional 13 degrees of rake, they use a ball joint on the lower tree
so you don't have to cut the neck.
I used a set of Softtail tanks, dash etc. The Harley guys usually take a second look trying to figure out what it is.
It rides way better than you would think, super stable and not at all floppy.

deactivate my account

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2018, 06:17:09 PM »
Uhh,
Anyone here ever owned/ridden a chopper?
That would be no. <shrug> Sorry, not my thing at all.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2018, 06:27:15 PM »
Earlier this month on my morning walk I happened across this Chopper parked on the side of the road.  The rider has his tools out working on its ignition advance weight springs.  Nice guy, younger than his bike.  I guess my point is, with an old school Chopper expect more wrenching than riding.

how to delete

Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2020, 08:22:14 AM »
I got a pile of complete worn out Shovelhead shite from a buddy for a cheap price and decided to build a chopper out of it.  It ended up being one of the most fun bike builds ever.   Since I always shoot for the museum quality, rivet counting type of restorations, building the chopper was a freeing experience.   

I was quite an  honor to have my chop selected to be in the Mama Tried bike show in Milwaukee right out of the chute.  Later that year I rode it to Detroit to see the Oily Souls bike show.  The bike ended up winning Best In Show - Ride In category out of hundreds of bikes.

I set this one up in the standard chopper hard core format;  jockey shift, suicide foot clutch, open belt primary, and  no front brake.  Since I was only going to a rear brake I wanted it to be reliable so I deviated from tradition and went with a disc.  You haven't really experienced motorcycle riding at its most elemental until you master a foot clutch, jockey shift bike.  It is a fun skill once mastered, but a bit intimidating until it becomes second nature.   An old fart like myself that can still handle a rigid frame, jockey shifter is kind of rare these days, at least around this area.

Try it, you will like it!!!   :evil:

Jockey shift setup shown here.

One of the best looking engines ever made, the Shovelhead

I have another chop project in the works, maybe 2 or 3.  :)  They are fun!!

WOW!  Came across this while doing a search.  WOW! 

So clean looking, with no wires on the handlebars.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline joe-dean

• New Egg
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2020, 09:10:27 AM »

1969 r69us I built in the 70's    650cc big bore kit 10 inch over Harley wideglide   21 inch front wheel.

BMW purist are still hunting me for building it.

Offline Siamese

• Gosling
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2020, 10:55:44 AM »
NO.  A thousand times, NO. 

Nor did I ever wear platform shoes, dance disco, watch Dynasty, or wear my shirt halfway open with gold chains.

What a horrible thing to do to a motorcycle.   

Offline thechief86

• New Egg
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2020, 11:19:17 AM »
I once rode a shovelhead sportster with 10 over forks and some wacky close together shorty antenna handlebars. That thing was terrifying.
It did sound cool though, after about 137 kicks and my buddy almost having a heart attack trying to start it, and it had great power.
Slow speed handling was nuts, it just wanted to fall over at any speed under about 40, and any lean angle would fight to yank the bars from your hand and bottom out on the steering stops.
It had character, but what a pile of crap, lol. We rode from Nashville to Chicago all in one day, Andy was on the shovel, and me on my Breva 750. He was ready for a drink long before we made it there, lol.
He would have traded his right arm for a ride home on a trailer.
A couple of days later, we did it again, but in the other direction. Once home, his bike sat for a month untouched. He really had to build up any desire to ride it after that.

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2020, 12:01:56 PM »
Been there done that still doing it! wifes BSA my Tri.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here