Author Topic: Rideapart on MG's Future - and On Rubbish Models  (Read 23421 times)

Offline Kristian

• Gosling
Rideapart on MG's Future - and On Rubbish Models
« on: June 15, 2018, 12:09:19 PM »
In support of my militant stance on MG's lazy lineup, populated by some rubbish models (V9, MGX-21) and others with poor execution (V7s, little power, cheap suspension, dodgy build), here's Rideapart on the very same issues. This is all done out of love for the brand, mind you, and serious disappointment regarding where it's headed. My repeated fear is that MG is becoming a lifestyle accessory brand that makes cutesy city runabouts. Tough for a brand that used to make terrific roadburners.

Please. If you have any of the aforementioned models, great if you love them. That's OK. I don't . That's OK too. The hope is to get MG fans fired up to make demands.
https://rideapart.com/articles/lets-tell-moto-guzzi

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Rideapart on MG's Future - and On Rubbish Models
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 12:24:37 PM »
I'd rather have an older, pre-computer, model than any new model with dodgy dealer support. I personally know 4 people who bought new Guzzi's in the past 5 years that are no longer riding Guzzi's. One fellow spent $17,000 on a new bike out the door. Some people expect to be able to ride it without having to trailer it back to the dealership the same day with less than 200 miles on it. Out of the remaining 4, 2 used lemon laws and 2 traded it in to the dealer on something besides a Moto Guzzi. All of these people have hundreds of thousands of miles on Guzzi's. 3 are now on Harley's because of the aftermarket and dealer network. The other 3 now ride Honda's.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 12:27:09 PM »
In support of my militant stance on MG's lazy lineup, populated by some rubbish models (V9, MGX-21) and others with poor execution (V7s, little power, cheap suspension, dodgy build), here's Rideapart on the very same issues. This is all done out of love for the brand, mind you, and serious disappointment regarding where it's headed. My repeated fear is that MG is becoming a lifestyle accessory brand that makes cutesy city runabouts. Tough for a brand that used to make terrific roadburners.

Please. If you have any of the aforementioned models, great if you love them. That's OK. I don't . That's OK too. The hope is to get MG fans fired up to make demands.
https://rideapart.com/articles/lets-tell-moto-guzzi

What's the writer of the article on about with the Stelvio with "electronics that don't work" and "overheating on a spring day"?

I'll bet he's never ridden a Stelvio; he's just repeating urban legend.   If he wanted to romp down on a Stelvio, he could at least do it about something real like flat tappet failures.    I've never had any real trouble with the electronics on the bike, and it runs as cool as any Guzzi in any sort of weather or traffic.

I don't think the writer knows much about Guzzis, and most of what he says about "styling" is just opinion anyhow.

Lannis

"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 12:34:40 PM »
What's the writer of the article on about with the Stelvio with "electronics that don't work" and "overheating on a spring day"?

I'll bet he's never ridden a Stelvio; he's just repeating urban legend.   If he wanted to romp down on a Stelvio, he could at least do it about something real like flat tappet failures.    I've never had any real trouble with the electronics on the bike, and it runs as cool as any Guzzi in any sort of weather or traffic.

I don't think the writer knows much about Guzzis, and most of what he says about "styling" is just opinion anyhow.

Lannis

I agree.

The writer is correct in some of his points, but the Stelvio overheating comment makes him lose credibility.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 12:34:40 PM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 12:40:48 PM »
It's all about the crap most riders don't need on a motorcycle these days. One reason I retired, I don't want to be a dash mechanic. They won't listen they sell Aprillia's & scooters. Way too many electrical glitches.

The new crap won't be around in 50yrs like my (REAL) V7 is today, it's sad.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 12:52:59 PM »
It's all about the crap most riders don't need on a motorcycle these days. One reason I retired, I don't want to be a dash mechanic. They won't listen they sell Aprillia's & scooters. Way too many electrical glitches.

The new crap won't be around in 50yrs like my (REAL) V7 is today, it's sad.

Unfortunately, I've gotta agree with you, Steve. I'm definitely part of the problem..but my older bikes are repairable indefinitely. Why would I want a new one? They are just a rehash of the old ones with electronic problems.  :evil:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 12:55:53 PM »

Moto Guzzi
                                        Established 1921
                             Going out of business since 1922

Dusty

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 01:00:26 PM »
Is Guzzi dealer support better in Europe?

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 01:04:24 PM »

Moto Guzzi
                                             Making electricians out of Riders
                                                             Since 1921

-KR-

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 01:37:45 PM »
Stelvio overheating? Fuel erupting lava style from a MGX21 tank? front end lifting at 80mph? Why have I never heard of these issues?
NO mention of CARC, Norge, and a passing mention of Griso,   when he contradicts the previous 6 paragraphs and calls it a valid competitor in a current segment of the market.  huh?

This is trolling. straight up.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 01:58:11 PM »
 ^^^

Yep .

Dusty

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 02:31:20 PM »
I was going to go look at the '18 V7 IIIs tomorrow, but after reading posts by the Guzzi experts trashing the brand and the V7s I might just have to stick with my Yamaha FZ-07 and it's performance and reliability and just put up with the cheap plastics and crappy chain adjuster.

Maybe I will trade the V7 Cafe Classic in on a nice reliable Sportster.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 02:48:27 PM »
 I'd like to see some new bikes with a more sporting edge as welL.   That being said my 11-year-old CARC bike has been nothing but utterly 100% reliable and I expect it will continue to be for years to come.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:58:03 PM by bad Chad »
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 02:52:36 PM »
My repeated fear is that MG is becoming a lifestyle accessory brand that makes cutesy city runabouts. Tough for a brand that used to make terrific road burners.

That die was cast the day Piaggio took over.   

Offline Kristian

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 02:55:15 PM »
I'd rather have an older, pre-computer, model than any new model with dodgy dealer support. I personally know 4 people who bought new Guzzi's in the past 5 years that are no longer riding Guzzi's. One fellow spent $17,000 on a new bike out the door. Some people expect to be able to ride it without having to trailer it back to the dealership the same day with less than 200 miles on it. Out of the remaining 4, 2 used lemon laws and 2 traded it in to the dealer on something besides a Moto Guzzi. All of these people have hundreds of thousands of miles on Guzzi's. 3 are now on Harley's because of the aftermarket and dealer network. The other 3 now ride Honda's.

A true horror story, one amply supported by your personal knowledge of the facts in it. MG should really take note.

oldbike54

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 03:13:11 PM »
A true horror story, one amply supported by your personal knowledge of the facts in it. MG should really take note.

Seems you have an ax to grind . Maybe this isn't the best place for that .

Dusty

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 03:30:18 PM »
(Deleted)

You know what? F-It. No point.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 03:45:20 PM by Toecutter »
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 04:01:47 PM »
Maybe it's the Luddite in me, but I don't want a motorcycle that has:

a) a solid-state electronic instrument panel that can't withstand rain and can't be repaired

b) an engine management system that is manufactured in lots of hundreds, rather than hundreds of thousands

c) throttle-by-wire

d) plastic bits where metal is called for;  ie., sensors (Chrysler/Jeep is guilty here, too)

e) a dealer network that is here today, gone tomorrow, back again somewhere else next month (maybe)

About the only thing I want on my MilleGT that I don't have is an electronic ignition system that is crank-triggered.
1990 MilleGT

beetle

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 04:28:12 PM »
I have a strong urge to write something gleefully brusque, bit I think Toecutter's right. What's the point?

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 04:28:59 PM »
I have a strong urge to write something gleefully brusque, bit I think Toecutter's right. What's the point?

:grin:
Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 04:34:38 PM »
Hey!! How did you get that beating a dead horse emoticon to work?  :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu
 :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Steve Scott

• Gaggle Hero
  • Ride, Fettle, Repeat
!
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 04:56:04 PM »
'Had to go back and check the date on this thread. I think I read the same stuff when I bought my (then new, now 135,000 mile) Y2K Jackal 20 years ago. :laugh:
'79 Morini 500S
'00 'Guzzi Jackal
'67 Teisco ET-440
Spring Grove, PA USA

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 05:01:17 PM »
Indeed, the year has moved on, but the "I want a bike from 1976" hasn't!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

pete roper

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 05:22:14 PM »
RBW allows much finer control of fueling and thence emissions than a conventional system and like it or not that’s where the world is heading. If you want big twin cylinder engines, especially air cooled ones, then it’s going to be needed.

As for things like dashboards? I think I’ve replaced three in twelve years.

It’s not the *New* stuff that generally lets the side down. It’s the obsolete designs and crappy, cheap componentry. I’m really glad that people are happy with their V9’s and the like, really, but I couldn’t be and judging from the sales figures few others are likely to be either.

beetle

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 05:41:44 PM »
Hey!! How did you get that beating a dead horse emoticon to work?  :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu
 :smiley:

It's a secret.

:evil:

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 05:43:08 PM »
I feel a bit like a traitor, but I just put down a deposit on this bike (well, one that looks like that bike):

Why?

Comfort over long-distances at high speed
Weather protection
Power
Water-proof panniers
Panniers that open and close easily
No head buffeting (at least for my height)
Being able to field telephone calls while riding is a plus (my helmet setup is not great for that)

I love my Norge, but it is just not up to the task at hand. Its element is 40-60 miles per hour, on twisty, scenic roads. I need an Autobahn stormer for my 300-mile, 80 MPH roundtrip commute.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 06:15:30 PM »
Seems you have an ax to grind . Maybe this isn't the best place for that .

Dusty

Which rule does this break?  All I see is agreement with someone else's post.

oldbike54

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2018, 06:55:09 PM »
Which rule does this break?  All I see is agreement with someone else's post.

Huh ? Read back over the entire thread .

Dusty

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 07:09:56 PM »
I feel a bit like a traitor, but I just put down a deposit on this bike (well, one that looks like that bike):

Why?

Comfort over long-distances at high speed
Weather protection
Power
Water-proof panniers
Panniers that open and close easily
No head buffeting (at least for my height)
Being able to field telephone calls while riding is a plus (my helmet setup is not great for that)

I love my Norge, but it is just not up to the task at hand. Its element is 40-60 miles per hour, on twisty, scenic roads. I need an Autobahn stormer for my 300-mile, 80 MPH roundtrip commute.

Sure hope you are working 24 on 48 off. 4 hours a day commuting would get real old.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2018, 07:12:03 PM »
Rideapart was started by Wes Siler.  He was a narcissistic tool but it was a free site and had a ton of good content.  He left in a huff and the site exploded with ads while content quantity and quality plummeted.  It�s usually not worth surfing because it�s mostly clickbait.  Guzzi has made some mistakes.  God knows I had trouble with my 1200 Sport but I�m excited about the V85 because I see it as the basis for the next generation of models.  A standard or 1000S styled bike with that power train would absolutely end up in my garage.  I will buy one new.  Despite having a ton of trouble with my Sport, there�s a California Touring in my garage right now.  I�ve at peace with the fact I�m going to end up broken down on the side of the road with it someday.  Oh well.  It�s an Italian motorcycle built in an antiquated factory by a bunch of weirdos.  What the hell else would anyone expect?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here