Author Topic: Selling a motorcycle to a faraway buyer. How to protect thyself (NGC)  (Read 1133 times)

Offline BSABEN

• Hatchling
I have listed a motorcycle on Facebook and have an interested buyer. I am in Michigan and the buyer is in New Mexico. He is stating that he will paypal the money if i send an invoice.

Does this seem like a legitimate way to proceed. If the money appears in my account is there still the possibility of retraction? I would not send the bike without having the money in my account.

I'm just trying to figure if i should proceed or sell for less local

Any experience is appreciated

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
I think there are cases where Paypal can reverse a payment, I don't know under what circumstances but even after you withdraw the money they can still charge you and your left owing it.. do a lot of research before proceeding.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

canuck750

I have sold and bought motorcycles from / to USA ~ Canada. I would suggest asking for a bank wire transfer and have your bank confirm receipt of deposit. It’s a cheap way to be assured of payment. I once accepts PayPal deposit but I have been told it can be faked

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
There is a scam that goes on here in Australia were the buyer pretends to work on a gas rig and can't come and see the bike but will send a truck to pick it up. They want to pay with paypal also. I have been approached several times in the last 12 months. Sometimes about 10 minutes after the for sale ad has been placed. It must work for them on occasion cuse they keep on trying. :copcar:

Wildguzzi.com

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
Have you had a phone conversation with the person?  That is a quick way to determine if it is a scam in the works or a legit buyer ... the scam guys never contact you again when you suggest a phone call. 

How is he going to get the bike?  Is he using a shipper to get it?  Many professional shippers can work out an escrow account ... that should make a buyer feel better as well as give you some comfort/protection. 

I would not do paypal. 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
If you determine it's not a scam (which it sounds like it might be), take only a non-refundable deposit of $500 via Paypal, to avoid their fees, then the balance via a bank wire transfer or certified bank check. Make it clear that the bike will not move one inch until all funds are received and clear your bank!
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
An escrow service is an alternative.  I've bought and sold high ticket items long distance that way.  In my transactions the buyer sends the money to escrow.  Escrow verifies funds and holds the money until the buyer is satisfied with the item, and then releases the money to the seller.

Offline JBBenson

• New Egg
I recently used this service when I sold my Aprilia to a buyer in Minnesota, sight unseen:

http://www.shippingmasters.com/services/

Was pretty easy and everyone felt better about the sale.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
If you do PayPay do it as a friends and family transaction and not a regular or business transaction. As soon as the money hits you account transfer it to your bank account and you safe. PayPal cannot retract F&F transactions.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
Cash.
Every bike I have sold long distance was picked up by a service that brought the cash to me when they picked up the bike. In one instance the cash was fedex-ed to me.
Scammers would have a very hard time getting the cash back from me. In fact, no scammer will make a straight cash deal.
Cash.

Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Selling a motorcycle to a faraway buyer. How to protect thyself (NGC)
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 01:20:35 PM »
If you determine it's not a scam (which it sounds like it might be), take only a non-refundable deposit of $500 via Paypal, to avoid their fees, then the balance via a bank wire transfer or certified bank check. Make it clear that the bike will not move one inch until all funds are received and clear your bank!
This
 :1: :1:

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 08:35:35 PM »
An escrow service is an alternative.  I've bought and sold high ticket items long distance that way.  In my transactions the buyer sends the money to escrow.  Escrow verifies funds and holds the money until the buyer is satisfied with the item, and then releases the money to the seller.

I bought my V7 from across the country using an escrow service, but in truth, it worked out only because both of us were honest.
I've heard of corrupt escrow services too.

A fly and ride might be an interesting option.  I thought about it, and kind of wish I did it, just for the adventure. 
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline BSABEN

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 08:41:25 PM »
Fly and ride would be interesting indeed. Its a 1972 Triumph. If this guy is willing to fly to Michigan and ride it to New Mexico i would consider him certifiably insane and thus the contrat to sell probably would be binding :thumb:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here