Author Topic: 2001EV Performance enhancements?  (Read 3730 times)

Offline drburt

• Hatchling
2001EV Performance enhancements?
« on: June 22, 2018, 04:56:04 PM »
My 2001 EV is the only Guzzi I've ever ridden (except for the quick/forgotten much about/didn't gas it much/ trial a friend's brother let me take a few years ago in his neighborhood on his older EV).
I'm satisfied with the performance of my 2001 EV, but I'm just curious if it could be better.

I have the cables for GuzziDiag but have never tried to use it.
Don't even know if it would work on my model.
Don't see any maps on http://www.griso.org/ for 1100 Cali EVs.

Are there multiple maps out there for better performance?
Is anything available or needed to make the 2001 EV perform better?

Inquiring mind wants to know.
Thanks,
Brent

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: 2001EV Performance enhancements?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 05:35:13 PM »
Not a whole lot of stuff out there for the 15M   unless you have a Sport.  They were using power commanders then the Europeans cracked the code to get in ECU but most were riding newer stuff w/CARC.  So that's why. BUT I know Beetle may be up for the challenge. He did a nice one for a Vintage, it's got twin plugs so real similar.
Doesn't hurt to ask him.
I went a different route, I needed an ECU so I bought a MyECU from Cliff in AU. It's totally adjustable.

I enhanced my EV w/open pipes & airbox and was plenty of extra zip.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 05:46:28 PM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline drburt

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 08:37:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply Steve.
I just read that the 15M itself can't be remapped without burning a new eprom.
Did you use aftermarket pipes that are already "open" (without being too loud, my preference).
What did you do to open the intake?

Thanks,
Brent

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 08:53:05 PM »
Just Mistrals for an EV. Airbox top has 2  2 1/2" holes in it and a K&N. It isn't all that loud.

Read this---

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=96648.0

Beetle just made one, same ECU that you have, same bike but a hydro, 15M is programmable.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 08:59:26 PM by guzzisteve »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 08:53:05 PM »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 08:51:21 AM »
My Vintage has a 15M. I got my ECU reflashed by GuzziTech. Also, Beetle (a forum member) has a comprehensive variety of 15M maps. The prices are reasonable and the bike runs perfectly with Mistral H-pipe/Classic silencers, and a modified airbox. I wouldnt say that the bike is more powerful, but it has a wonderfully linear throttle, a sonorous report, and no popping when decelerating. A reflash really makes a nice difference on a bike with a lean factory map and is essential if you make exhaust/intake modifications.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 09:38:16 AM »
At one time there was a Power Commander for the 15M. I suspect NLA now. I had a PC put together by Todd at Guzzi Tech for the earlier CPUs (8?) on my '98. At the time there were maps for the Harley TPS (less expensive alternative) and some type of after market exhaust. I was running Dunstalls on mine along with a K&N and Harley TPS. It made a significant boost in the mid range and with no popping and way better gas milage than the two chips I had tried, Moto International, and Joost's Misano chip. Both of these richened the mixture but barely improved driveabilty and killed gas mileage, usually in the mid '30s. With the PC I was getting mid '40s so it was a win win all around.
BTW back then everyone was saying to get around the poor low end driveabilty you have to keep the rpms above 4k. With my setup it would putt along at 1.5-2k rpms no problem. Mine felt and ran like a Harley motor.

Pete
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 09:43:48 AM by PeteS »

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 09:48:06 AM »
Did you use aftermarket pipes that are already "open" (without being too loud, my preference).

Is the 2001 a 15M, or a P8, ECU? The 15M can be remapped. The P8 need a prom.The P8 is a huge box under the seat. The 15M is a small box under the left side cover.

I think on the intake side it will be hard to beat that large stock airbox.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 09:50:10 AM »
 Same motive unit as my Jackal , that series of FI and ignition mapping was pretty well sorted at the factory . Mine has Staintunes with a stock crossover , and honestly I have no idea whether the ECU has been altered at all . The old thing runs fine , it takes a 2 valve Lemans or a 4 valve anything in good fettle to really outrun it . Yeah , there might be a Shetland lurking in there somewhere , but unless you are willing to start experimenting it probably is gonna be elusive .

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 12:16:13 PM »
Consider non-engine performance enhancements.  Tires, suspension, and aerodynamics can be improved. 

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 01:10:16 PM »
That stock air box is loud as it is. Put some holes in and you might not be happy!
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 06:50:31 PM »
That stock air box is loud as it is. Put some holes in and you might not be happy!

On mine, I used a 1 holesaw and put 3 holes on the airbox top. In these holes I put Uni filtered vents. This holds the noise to a dull roar and keeps detritus out of the filter while opening up the breathing to match the Mistral exhaust. The sound is wonderful without being excessively loud.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 09:11:45 AM »

Thanks,
Brent
Brent, I'm trying to increase my knowledge of all this mapping and ECU aspect of motorcycles as that's the future of motorcycles so enlighten me, what's an "EPROM"?

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 09:32:35 AM »
Brent, I'm trying to increase my knowledge of all this mapping and ECU aspect of motorcycles as that's the future of motorcycles so enlighten me, what's an "EPROM"?

Eprom is a programable memory chip. Once programmed it can't be alterered. EEproms can be reprogramed. Eproms are old school today. Most of the 90s era Guzzis had eproms. I think the '99 Bassa was the first with the 15M computer which could be remapped to a degree. The EVs and Jackals carried on a few more years with their ancient 8 bit computers with eproms.
Eprom chips are usually in sockets so a new eprom could be programmed with a different map to replace an existing one. Getting it right for specific engine configuration is not easy and few were correct.

Pete

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 09:36:56 AM »
I used to change eprom chips in the P8 and the 16M in the day w/you had a selection.
There are other things that work, I did some testing and gave info to Techlusion w/they were in Navada.  All it is is a fuel box, changes the pulse rate of the injectors. It does not change timing or any signals from the other sensors. I have good luck using it.  For open pipes it just adds some more fuel.

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 09:38:51 AM »
Eprom is a programable memory chip. Once programmed it can't be alterered. EEproms can be reprogramed. Eproms are old school today. Most of the 90s era Guzzis had eproms. I think the '99 Bassa was the first with the 15M computer which could be remapped to a degree. The EVs and Jackals carried on a few more years with their ancient 8 bit computers with eproms.
Eprom chips are usually in sockets so a new eprom could be programmed with a different map to replace an existing one. Getting it right for specific engine configuration is not easy and few were correct.

Pete

Jackals all had the 15 M , as did the 2000 + EV's . Just to clear this up .

Dusty

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 10:00:23 AM »
I think the '99 Bassa was the first with the 15M computer which could be remapped to a degree. The EVs and Jackals carried on a few more years with their ancient 8 bit computers with eproms.

The Jackal and Bassa had the 15M early on. The EV switched later. I suspect they were using up the old P8 parts.

I have a box full of eproms and a programmer for the old stuff. Even a UV lamp to erase the chips.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 10:08:09 AM »
I'd think you'd need to port the heads, install larger valves, racier cam, perhaps lighten and balance the rotating assemblies, intake and exhaust mods and remap the whole business.  You might get another 10-20 hp.

Or perhaps you might just purchase a Sport or newer performance engine that will fit the 5 speed. Or perhaps upgrade to a 6 speed and go to a lower rear end?

In fact, changing the rear end gearing might be the simplest and cheapest way to get more grunt.   
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 10:12:45 AM »

Pete

Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory   :laugh:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 10:17:19 AM »

Is anything available or needed to make the 2001 EV perform better?

Inquiring mind wants to know.
Thanks,
Brent

a 7:33 gearset for the bevel box.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 10:19:06 AM »

wait?  what?    :wink:

(see above)
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2018, 10:57:39 AM »

Pete
👍 kind of the same thing as adding a SIM card to your MP3 for more room to add more songs?

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2018, 02:16:33 PM »
👍 kind of the same thing as adding a SIM card to your MP3 for more room to add more songs?

SIM card in an MP3?

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 06:56:20 PM »

:1:

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2018, 10:39:19 PM »

No, more like changing words in a paragraph.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2018, 11:25:56 PM »
wait?  what?    :wink:

(see above)

I guess we can agree to agree!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Mr Revhead

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2018, 01:57:19 AM »

If I was going to spend a grand on my EV this is what I would do. From all I've read it transforms the bike. I just can't justify the cost! Yet...

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2018, 08:27:01 AM »
fotoguzzi posted his dyno graph on this thread. If I had a bike with a 15M I would start here with what he did to his bike.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=96695.0

My experience is with the earlier P8 computer but if his runs as well as mine did you won't need to change the rear drive.

If you need more power than this then it would be cams and headwork $$$$$$ but at that point I'm not sure its worth it.

Pete

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2018, 07:41:50 PM »

The Jackal and Bassa had the 15M early on. The EV switched later. I suspect they were using up the old P8 parts.

I have a box full of eproms and a programmer for the old stuff. Even a UV lamp to erase the chips.

'98 and '99 EV's had the P8. There were no EV's imported for 2000. The "01 EV's came with the 15M.

John Henry

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here