Author Topic: My first ride (or yours) on a Moto Guzzi  (Read 1529 times)

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
My first ride (or yours) on a Moto Guzzi
« on: June 24, 2018, 07:37:25 PM »
While Josie is in surgery / at the spa I want to tell a tale of the first time I rode a Guzzi.

At this time, it's around 1980 and I bought a wrecked and parked Guzzi from a gentleman in Sausalito who lived on a houseboat. He'd take the bike in exchange for a debt owned, and it resided under a Doughboy pool liner (look it up if you must) in a junkyard just off of Gate 5 (I dare you to find references) in Sausalito

He'd heard me talking to a customer about (youthful naivete) wanting a Norton or Harley basket case to revive. If you want further nostalgic notes search me in this forum. (NOTE: thank you forum master and mods)

Fast forward several months, I have taken my first true love ( Terri Fennelly, forgive me for adding this note to your internet print, but since you are a successful professional now I'm certain you can withstand it) to my friend's roommate house in La Mesa (and another footnote to Daniel Saum, old friend and household manager here).

So George Alvarez (footnote III, not sure if he is still with us), first person who ever let me ride his motorcycle and gracious gentleman when I stole it while he was out of town and rode/crashed it / rode it some more) and only inquired if I was okay, has a job at a dirtbike shop that has a sideline in old Guzzis for parts and offers some service on the side (Vey's is still around in some form or other).

So George and I tore the Eldo apart, even though it didn't need it, just because we were young and and he was a teacher at heart. I put 115K miles on that bike, and I owe it to George and Sonny Angel.

Where was I ? Oh yeah, Casamigos and Guzzis ... So I'm riding my first bike ( 1972 Honda 350 CL around Santee CA ( you know who you are ) and I pull up alongside a guy on an Eldo at a light. I'm 20 few, and I don't give a damn how old he is, he's my new hero. We go light to light, talking at each stop until I've followed him home, and we stand in his driveway and talk for an hour about the bike I have scattered in pieces all over the garage under the Panorama house (just large enough for two motorcycles or one British sportscar - MGB-GT to be exact)

Mostly George and I ruled the garage. Dirt floor, some benches - we paved the dirt floor with bottlecaps and motor oil to keep the dust down.

Oh yeah ... My first Guzzi ride. So after an hour of talk about linkage and such, the guy I followed home (sorry, can't remember your name, hope you see this post) asks me if I want to take his bike for a ride.

I, of course, am flabbergasted, dumbfounded beyond belief with an amazement beyond stupefication (Go ahead, I dare you to look it up - Clue: Journey To The Center Of The Earth)

I incrdulosely in... never mind, in disbelief say " but you don't even know me, why would  you let me ride your bike?"

He replies with " Well, I'll have your bike hostage while you're riding mine, and you talk like you are commited, so I dare you " or some language to that effect.

So I took his bike for a toodle around Santee, which in those days was the edge of civilization and far more rural than today.  When I brought it back he was disappointed that I'd not got it up on the freeway, since that where he said it really showed it's character.

All said and done, the day started out as a routine search for work ( you do recall riding around looking for "Help Wanted" signs, don't you?) and turned into my first lay, Guzzi-wise ).

TLDR - Rode a Guzzi
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 07:42:40 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: My first ride (or yours) on a Moto Guzzi
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 07:44:16 PM »
Good un Norman..  :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 11:03:43 PM »
I was on a ride up around NSW on my GSXR 1100 and stopped for some lunch.
A bloke pulled up on what I think was a Sport 1100, it looked like that black one that Medic Andy's got, and bugger me he blurts out.."D'ya wanna' take me bike fer a ride...?"
"Hell yeah says I, but what if I drop it..?"
"Nah bullshit" says the trusting (and not overly bright) individual.
"I'll take the Spewzuki, you'll be right, don't be pissweak"
I thought "Jeez, that was nice of me to offer the Suzuki".
But although cold just about all over, I began to feel the onset of a certain form of excitement that only a bloke at the early stages of arousal can attest to, at the prospect of piloting this lovely bike that was flirting with me shamelessly, part of me was glad I was wearing quilted bike trousers...! :embarrassed:
Well what was a poor boy to do ?
I was about to hand over the laundry list of do's and dont's for the benefit of my new aquaintance, but he seemingly had no need for such a fun destroying peice of literature, and in about a nano second,  leaps aboard the GSXR and disappears like a rat up a drainpipe, leaving me to ponder the intricacies of the Guzzi.
One tap on the starter and the (then unfamiliar) kick to the side had me thinking someone had stood on the rear 'peg to accompany me on the ride but we now know better.
The first impression when I "accelerated" down the road in a vain attempt to pursue my disappearing Suzuki, was that I'd jumped aboard something from a farming exhibition at a field days, no arm dislocating acceleration at 5,000 rpm, smelled of fuel, clattered like my Grandma's false teeth when she drops them in the glass before retiring for the night, I swear it seemed to have more bugs than a boarding house bed...
But...
The bastard felt ALIVE...! and although (by comparison) there was a complete absence of Michelin destroying acceleration, I really loved the steady shaking fluidity of the torquey motor and the visceral nature of the effortless rush.
I resolved that I would procure such a device at the next opportunity and 5 or so years later I did.
Although with the desire to see the other side of the world in the opposite hemisphere, gnawing at me incessantly, I thought a Red Norge would have to do instead..(that's worked out ok.)
The only thing I can't explain is why I waited so long, but I guess it was because I really needed to own a Triumph 955i Daytona, MV Agusta SPR, and Triumph Sprint ST 1050 in the interim.
But I now know I'll never buy another new, or nice second hand bike, that is not a Guzzi...
I'm addicted and I just don't care..
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 12:15:31 AM by Huzo »

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 01:41:45 AM »
Very late '70s

I was a very poor student sharing a house with other, motorcycle obsessed and penniless, university students. We all road second hand cast offs (RD400, CB400F, Kawasaki z900 etc).
The one acquaintance that didn't go to University and had got a proper job turned up with a brand new LeMans (850?). Compared to what we were riding this was a proper bike, all clip ons, fairing and an exhaust note to die for.
He wasn't one to let people ride his pride and joy (at least not we scum bags  :evil:), but the bike stuck with me and I briefly owned one a few years down the track before selling it to begin yet another University degree (don't ask  :weiner:). A Honda CX500 appeared and I thoroughly enjoyed my JApGuzzi . :thumb:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 01:41:45 AM »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 02:32:45 AM »
Very late '70s

I was a very poor student sharing a house with other, motorcycle obsessed and penniless, university students. We all road second hand cast offs (RD400, CB400F, Kawasaki z900 etc).
The one acquaintance that didn't go to University and had got a proper job turned up with a brand new LeMans (850?). Compared to what we were riding this was a proper bike, all clip ons, fairing and an exhaust note to die for.
He wasn't one to let people ride his pride and joy (at least not we scum bags  :evil:), but the bike stuck with me and I briefly owned one a few years down the track before selling it to begin yet another University degree (don't ask  :weiner:). A Honda CX500 appeared and I thoroughly enjoyed my JApGuzzi . :thumb:
Hmmm...Brookster.
Although I've no doubt you had the arse out of your pants at the time, that Zed Nine would be worth a quid now... :weiner: :bike-037:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 02:33:31 AM by Huzo »

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 03:08:53 AM »
Hmmm...Brookster.
Although I've no doubt you had the arse out of your pants at the time, that Zed Nine would be worth a quid now... :weiner: :bike-037:
As I remember it .... you would have had to spend a fortune on it then to get it to roadworthy never mind restoring it for today’s market.

I ran into a bloke from that era last weekend. He still has his Z1000. It still has all the racing modifications on it (extender breather on oil filler etc) he has ridden it for the last 30+ years and it still is very presentable. He told me that when he bought it he took the tank off it and used a second hand one for the first 20 years. The original tank now looks brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 03:19:11 AM »
Jeepers...!
In 1976 I was working at a servo to earn money to pay my Dad back for money he loaned me to pay a speeding fine.
I was at Uni at the time.
Anyway. In comes a reprobate called Bo, on a new Z1000 with a chain that needed adjusting so I showed him how.
I ended up working in a factory where he worked co incidentally and I convinced him to put the hard word on my sister which he did.
So after she opened her account she thought she may as well marry him 'cos she liked me and thought I needed a decent Brother in Law. We went everywhere together, him on the Zed and me on the GT 750 Suzuki.
His alcoholic brother had a Z1000 as well and gave it to Bo thinking he'd be dead soon from the piss, so he may as well have it, so now he's got two..
Bonus...!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:21:23 AM by Huzo »

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 04:43:24 AM »
That´s a simple one. 15 March 2013, when I got my new V7 Stone from the dealer. After 800 metres or so the right mirror got loose, and of course no fitting wrench in the toolkit (that was the first thing I added). It was cooold, but I was happy. And still am.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline beardog

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 08:15:36 AM »
 I had a honda Rune sold it and was looking for another different bike saw a Centauro on ebay and bought it. I didn't know much about them brought it home without a test ride or anything but a look over. Them somehow I meet Chuck S. from Elwood IN and he showed me how to do the valves and some other things. I have had many bikes but had never had anyone help me with other brands,  I was hooked and still am thanks Chuck he is a very smart and good man. I have two at this point but will always have a Guzzi I believe.
ride whenever you can
2003 stone� 
2008 1200 sport
2012 Yamaha super tenere
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour
2020 v85 tt
2005 Yamaha fjr
2017 Motus mst
2008 ktm super duke

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 08:20:28 AM »
I was familiar with Moto Guzzi before riding one but never rode one until the day I bought my T-3 and rode it 90  miles home. Was quite sold on it by the end of that 90 miles, still am for that matter. :thumb:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 08:58:50 AM »
The first time I heard a Guzzi sing and felt that lovely vibe in person was the day Anni was delivered.  I've been in love ever since. :thumb:   
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 10:08:02 AM »
May 2006.  I bought a used 2003 EVT from Union Cycle, and except for the short ride from the rear of the shop to my trailer I had never ridden the thing until I got it home.  That night Kim and I rode it over to Augusta, GA for dinner and the entire trip I was thinking, "what was I thinking???" It made terrible noises, the seating position was weird, and that BRAKE!  12 years and 80k later she's still going strong. 

Last year I had to choose between bringing the the EVT and the Griso up to N.Y. for the season and I finally settled on the EVT (even though I love my Griso).  It's the swiss army knives of motorcycles.  I'm thinking one day I'll add a hack :)

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline PhilB

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 11:03:12 AM »
I always liked them, and was impressed by the mileage some of them managed to rack up.  That always catches my attention, since I usually keep a bike for at least 80K miles.

I was riding a Ducati Monster at the time.  My dealer (Sonny Angel, In San Diego area) sold Guzzis as well, and on a group ride, somewhere around 2004, he was on one, and offered to trade bikes for a while.  It was a Jackal, I think.  I later testrode a Breva from his shop.  I live in NH now, but about 3 years ago I had a short work project back in SoCal, and his brother (who had been the mechanic at the dealership) loaned me one of his bikes for a couple months (pic below), and I got the chance to really grok the Guzzi rhythm.  Indeed that's exactly why I'm considering a Griso as one of the top contenders for my next bike.

PhilB

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:04:23 AM by PhilB »

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 12:26:54 PM »
In 1979, I was riding a Vespa Ciao moped, living with my girl friend, and had just started working at MIT. I got a loan to buy a white 1972 Eldorado ($1800?). To get the price down, they seller took off the windshield and bags. The first time I rode it, it was like whoa... torque...
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 12:47:30 PM »
Well, Norman.. believe it or not, the first Guzzi I rode was a pearl Bassa. I was stricken, and stayed that way.  :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 09:14:02 PM »
Time slips by doesn't it?  I remember looking at this bike on the showroom floor, left over as Guzzis tend to be, but brand new.  Not a bike like just this one, this bike  :grin:  it's since been owned by about three people I know or knew.

The first Guzzi I rode was in roughly 1984, a yellow T-3 with a single Mikuni carb.  Me and seemingly everybody else, it lived at the dealer perpetually unsold.  It ran horribly, I thought it was a complete mess.  The next one was a LeMans in 1987, complete with that 'real machinery' slight smell of gear oil and red/flat black Dellorto squirting Italian cool everything else.  It wasn't mine at the time but after a while and $1800 later we ended up having quite a history.  It has 100,000 miles on it now and I received the 2019 registration renewal in the mail today.  It rests on the reserve list, but I'm planning to do an end to end mechanical overhaul in retirement someday.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 09:31:57 PM by Tusayan »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here