Author Topic: General sportbike windscreen design, LeMans IV specific  (Read 627 times)

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
General sportbike windscreen design, LeMans IV specific
« on: June 25, 2018, 08:18:22 AM »
There is a recent post where the question is how to re-direct the windblast off the LM IV windscreen to the particular rider's chest, rather than his neck:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=96580.0

I'm new to riding a LM IV, so riding in to work today I tested where the windblast coming off the top of the stock windscreen was flowing with respect to my helmet, by feeling with my left hand over the windscreen @ 70-80 mph (that bike seems like it has a sweet spot @ 80).

The blast feels like it's directed exactly at my faceshield. Is this normal?

I do not experience "buffeting" like I have before behind a troublesome barn-door windshield on my Cal II where your vision gets blurry (fixed that problem), and I can turn my head no problem, as if the flow hitting my helmet is smooth, and my helmet is behaving like a spherical shape.

Do you guys who ride sportbike variations of the LM IV take steps to modify the windscreen, or your riding position, to get the windblast OVER your helmet? In the link above, the attempts to get the blast lower on the chest, in my case, would still leave my head in open airflow, but I'm wondering if the helmet roar would be reduced from having the direct blast hitting my face.

As it is now, I was thinking of adopting the practice of earplugs, just wondering if I should experiment with different windscreens.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
Re: General sportbike windscreen design, LeMans IV specific
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 08:54:13 AM »
Earplugs in the helmet is probably a good start. I've been following these LM4/5 windscreen threads, never realized these were an issue until lately. Seems cutting the ducktail off the windscreen would make thinks worst by bringing the airstream down instead of over the head, though sounds like that is the solution for some? Have you tried playing around (maybe temporarily remove) the side/tank spoilers and then test it again at that same speed? Something is causing the airstream to be pulled down in that spot too soon instead of behind the person. We need an aerodynamics guru on this one. I bet some side flow holes or slight bump-out or in on the fairing or something along those lines would redirect that airstream away from wrapping in front of the head, but that's a lot of windshields and fairings to cut and test aimlessly That low pressure zone needs increased maybe?

Edit: Maybe try a different helmet?: https://tinyurl.com/y7e8f9zc

Edit 2: This is what I was thinking. Slits or holes on the bottom side of the Lm4 fairing. Of course, a wind tunnel would be a great tool for this one  :wink:

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 09:08:25 AM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: General sportbike windscreen design, LeMans IV specific
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 05:20:27 PM »
Cutting off the lip made all the difference on the AeroLario.
As it is now, I was thinking of adopting the practice of earplugs, just wondering if I should experiment with different windscreens.
No matter what you do.. adopt the earplug practice. Trust me on this.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here