Author Topic: Southern Indiana riding?  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
Southern Indiana riding?
« on: September 21, 2018, 11:09:51 AM »
To early to be sure but may have the opportunity to re-locate to the Franklin, southern Ind area next year from western Nv. Rode the Appalachians for 35 years prior to here. In a nutshell, what's the riding like? I'd appreciate "full disclosure." 😃🏍Thanks!

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Southern Indiana riding?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 12:22:22 PM »
Not as good as the Appalachians..  but not horrible down south. John Croucher, paging John Croucher.. JC to the courtesy phone, please.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 01:22:52 PM »
As a 'recent' transplant to Indiana, I can tell you it'll take some time to find the roads. but they're there. Franklin is really suburban Indy. Accent on 'Suburb'an (although the old downtown is really very nice). But things start getting interesting south of there in Brown county. The problem is everyone in Indy and northern Indiana knows it. If you can get on the roads when traffic is lighter, they're wonderful. Continuing south and west, and into Kentucky, there are lots of nice roads. It ain't Appalachia, however.

2 weeks back, I did a 200 miler with Handy Andy. This was Labor Day weekend, Sunday. Somehow he manged to keeps us on roads all day where we hardly saw any other vehicles, and the roads were in decent condition and pretty innersting riding. Probably the single best day of riding I've had in the state. This would generally be roads west of Indy between Crawfordsville and Terre Haute. I was stunned.

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 03:10:58 PM »
From Franklin, take I 65 south to 58, just south of Columbus. Follow it to Bedford, then take 450 towards Loogootee. From there, take your pick to get south to the Ohio river. Most of the good roads are down there. Maybe John will chime in. He knows that area well. I used to ride east and south to Rising Sun. 262 is good, as are many roads in that area. In Indiana, you have to be near rivers or creeks (pronounced "cricks") for the best riding. The southern third is best.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 03:10:58 PM »

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 03:33:43 PM »
The glacier 10,000 year ago scoured Indiana to the lime stone.  It came 2/3 of the way across the State from the north.  The norther 2/3rds are glacial till/gravel round rocks. (there is massive amounts of gold under the the glacial till) The southern 1/3 was the melt water area.  Water soaked through the limestone and dissolved it.  The lime stone caved in causing valleys.  Then the wind from the west blew alluvial soil in to cover the bare limestone and karst valleys across the State.  So in Southern Indiana, you are not going down a hill, you go into a valley and you do not go up a hill, you come out of a valley.   Elevation changes of 300 feet are rare.  Most of the agrarian roads are blacktop.  Very few gravel roads.  They follow the cricks as they say up north.  There are several scenic highway routes in the southern half.  I ride mostly county roads.  And there is always Southern Ohio and Kentucky.  Eastern Kentucky is a hidden riding treasure. Any road in Kentucky west of I65 is an adventure. 

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 03:35:34 PM »
And, I forgot to mention, The Kentucky Rally.  Best Guzzi Rally in the Nation.  In the Heart of Bourbon Country.  Just a short ride from Franklin. 

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 03:55:12 PM »
And, I forgot to mention, The Kentucky Rally.

It's a good one. I've been trying to make sure the new to me G5 is ready, so Dorcia can enjoy riding in Ky.  :thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 04:20:51 PM »
It's a good one. I've been trying to make sure the new to me G5 is ready, so Dorcia can enjoy riding in Ky.  :thumb:

Really glad to read this. I may be able to ride with you since you'll have the wind on your chest, and a pillion. If I can break away Thursday (big IF) I'd like to do 227 a time or two on Friday. (that's the newly paved road north out of Stamping Ground) No idea what the plans are for Saturday, of course, and I'd hate to miss that road.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 04:48:09 PM »
Really glad to read this. I may be able to ride with you since you'll have the wind on your chest, and a pillion. If I can break away Thursday (big IF) I'd like to do 227 a time or two on Friday. (that's the newly paved road north out of Stamping Ground) No idea what the plans are for Saturday, of course, and I'd hate to miss that road.
  127?

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 04:58:36 PM »
  127?

227 turns east off of 355, and is curvy goodness..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 04:07:54 AM »
A favorite of mine is Hwy 421 south from Madison, IN on the way to the KY Guzzi Rally.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline handyandy

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 11:41:24 AM »
135 south of Nashville, sr43 south of Spencer.

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 10:34:08 AM »
Thank you for your responses. Time will tell.

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 11:21:03 AM »
227 turns east off of 355, and is curvy goodness..

I coming to the rally just to ride 227.  Looks like a ride up from the river bottom, cross over 127 and a short trip east on some county roads will start me out on the south end of the curvy section, turn north on 227  and end at 127 for a ride back to the rally. 

Looks like the rain will be out of here by Wednesday.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 01:18:15 PM »
A nice loop from the rally site is north on 127, east on 607, north on 227, north on 127, west on 227, south and east on 355, south on 127 back to the rally.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 03:15:02 PM »
127 to 607 then either north or south on 227 is really twisty and loads of fun. Last time I rode 227 all the way from 22 down to Stamping Ground, it wore me out!

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline scottydogg

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 07:01:31 AM »
If you can catch 450 from Bedford, it's quite a nice ride down to Shoals.  From there, you can swing east on 150, through Paoli, and catch 135 north at Salem.  It's an especially nice ride in the autumn.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here