Author Topic: NGC Ipad pro users, I have questions  (Read 995 times)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
NGC Ipad pro users, I have questions
« on: September 22, 2018, 07:46:06 PM »
Looking at a 12.5" 1st gen Ipad Pro.. thinking about this instead of a new MBP. I understand you can't use external drive storage easily?  It's designed to use cloud storage (I guess)  which I don't want to buy into..
It sure is sleek to handle but not sure I would do more than couch surf on it. also some of the apps I use on my phone would be nice on a bigger screen.
will the gen 1 work with my older appleTV (gen 3) and also what's the connectivity to my MBP and Imac.. my laptop (2010 MBP hopped up and fast) is too old to use airdrop at least with the OS I use (10.10.5), don't want to up that either or I'll loose a few of my editing apps.
$500 for a 128G with cellular (but I won't use data) fair deal? worth the investment? thx.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

beetle

Re: NGC Ipad pro users, I have questions
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 08:22:46 PM »
I love my 1st gen iPad Pro. I use it for pretty much everything. I've not tried setting up external storage, but I imagine there's some sort of NAS that could be used. I use my Linux server to store everything, and Drop Box to transfer anything to the iPad if required. I've only used 22Gb of 128 on the iPad itself. I never sit at my desktop anymore, and use VNC via the iPad for anything that requires a 'proper' computer, including any Guzzi map related work. I access my music & video server through the iPad via a SSH terminal app, or directly with VNC and Kodi apps. I have an Apple TV 4th gen, so cant help there, but the app works for me.

Online jrt

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC Ipad pro users, I have questions
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 09:48:02 PM »
We use iPads pretty extensively at my school.  I think they are 'ok', but not a replacement for a MacBook.  On the one hand, they are great at consuming information- streaming music, movies, etc.  They are- from my experience- decent at manipulating data, like editing movies, email and that sort of thing, but I don't like them for creating content, like complex spreadsheets or powerpoint (keynote) presentations. 
Many of my students exclusively use iPads.  I do not. 
It sounds like Beetle has worked through some of the issues I find less satisfying, so maybe it is just me.  In any case, I would say the addition of the apple pencil is totally worth the hundred bucks that it costs.  That pencil just works, has a fine line, and is already integrated into many apps.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here