Author Topic: 68 Ambassador WILL NOT START. I've tried everything...  (Read 6255 times)

gittbox

68 Ambassador WILL NOT START. I've tried everything...
« on: June 27, 2016, 01:42:57 AM »
Hello All,

I built my bike from the ground up, feel I know it pretty well, and am a competent amateur mechanic, so am puzzled at where I presently find myself... Totally mystified! I've timed the valves twice, set the static timing multiple times, removed and reinstalled the distributor, installed new points, cap and rotor, condenser, you name it and I bet I've done it. The generator pulley is a replacement (the original was missing) but according to Guzziology the TDC and static timing marks on it are correct for the Ambassador. I've got spark, compression, fuel, air, but the engine will not fire, just builds compression and sprays a mist of fuel out of the carbs.  The point gap is correct, the plug gap is correct, the engine is behaving as though it is off time, but I have no idea how that can be possible! I'm missing something really obvious or really obscure. I've taken my time and gone very carefully through the valve timing and static timing procedures. Everything seems to check out, the valves open and close when they're supposed to, the distributor is in the right position, but NO JOY. Any suggestions anyone might offer would be most welcome. Besides wanting my bike to run, I am extremely curious about what could be keeping it from running, because as far as I can tell it ought to fire right up. Thanks for reading.

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 68 Ambassador WILL NOT START. I've tried everything...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 03:57:26 AM »
     Thumb in sparkplug hole while bringing crank up to top dead center will make sure crank is on the compression stroke while timing. Only thing that comes to mind.
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline EldoMike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 05:47:37 AM »
Sounds like cam is out of time...did you have the timing gears off?

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 07:18:38 AM »
    make sure crank is on the compression stroke while timing. 
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 07:18:38 AM »

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 08:43:21 AM »
The first thing I do is run a simple test to see if the problem is fuel or spark (assuming you have decent compression). To do this, I shoot some starting fluid on the air filter (or directly into the cylinder thru a spark plug hole, obviously then replacing the plug). If the engine won't run that way, the problem is electrical--and that includes timing.

Rich A

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 09:35:12 AM »
and sprays a mist of fuel out of the carbs.
There's the clue. This should not be happening. Does it pop or burn the fuel at all?
If it is blowing back through the carbs then most likely the cam timing is wrong as Mike stated.
Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 09:46:45 AM »
Sounds like cam is out of time...did you have the timing gears off?

Did this bike run before rebuild?  To blow fuel out of the carburetor the the intake is not closing on the compression stroke.  I know that is overstating the obvious.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 10:21:00 AM »
Which side is number one? It is numbered fore to aft, not left to right
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:47:08 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 12:01:53 PM »
Did you try the other tdc?

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 04:03:50 PM »
It's something really simple,
Crossed plug leads
Firing on wrong stroke, I assume you are getting a nice fat spark, if not lack of condenser perhaps
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 08:12:07 PM »
Fuel spitting, most likely the cam timing I would guess. But before tearing the engine apart.....

When you put the marked pulley on the crank, did you set the TDC mark with the LH cylinder at TDC with the valves closed? or did you do it with the RH cylinder? LH is the correct one to use.

Also, might want to check the distributor to make sure the narrow lobe is opening the points on the fire stroke as well as the wires to the correct side.

Good luck!!
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

gittbox

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 11:37:12 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. The bike probably hasn't run since the eighties, I found it in pieces in a garage. The timing gears have been out, flywheel has been off, crank has been out, etc. on one occasion I got a little pop from the engine, while I was cranking the starter and advancing the distributor. I've set the timing on the compression stroke, LH cylinder, a few times now. The narrow lobe on the distributor is opening the points for the left cylinder. I'm thinking the cam timing is off, and I have to go in and set it again, but I've already done it twice, with no positive result. I used the procedure outlined on ThisOldTractor. I'll try it again and see how it goes.

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 02:09:12 AM »
You say the spark, timing and fuel are good and have triple checked the timing.

Just a shot in the dark, but.. Is the battery fully charged? Also, could it be flooding? With the air filters off, turn on the fuel valves and see if fuel is flooding the carbs. If you are trying to start with the choke/enrichener lever on, try it without. My old bikes have never needed the choke. The only one that does is the BMW when cold.

Let us know more as you go!

Good luck,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 06:57:14 AM »
Being mystified is not going to help an engine run.  If you have installed all the parts correctly there should at least be something on fire by now.  I like to check compression to insure valves are closing. I like to ignite some fresh raw fuel on the plugs to prove ignition. I like to use a straw in the sparkplug hole to prove the TDC marking I am using for the timing.  With compression, ignition and fuel something will happen even if things are not quite right.  Mike

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 07:19:48 AM »
Check your exhaust valves, if you have rolled it over with the heads on while checking/ changing valve timing. The piston chases them and will bend very easily if the cam timing is out and they kiss the piston. It won't start with bent exhaust valves, don't ask me how I know about that mistake :cool:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:12:49 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 08:45:40 AM »
An easy way to check valve timing, they will rock at TDC on the exhaust strobe, that is the exhaust is still closing while the inlet is starting to open at TDC
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 04:56:34 PM »
Somewhere in my foggy memory I remember someone on the old Loop list having a similar problem. Turned out they were looking that the left cylinder from the front wheel not left cylinder as sitting on the bike. Often times the hardest problems have the simplest solutions. hope yours is.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 05:28:56 PM »
Good Point
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 08:11:23 PM »
Somewhere in my foggy memory I remember someone on the old Loop list having a similar problem. Turned out they were looking that the left cylinder from the front wheel not left cylinder as sitting on the bike. Often times the hardest problems have the simplest solutions. hope yours is.

-AJ

Easy way to remember: Destra (right) = driveshaft, Sinestra (left) = starter.
Charlie

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 11:30:32 AM »
Or.... D is Dis side and S is 'Snot Dis side. Distributor is on Dis side
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 08:39:18 PM »
You could loosen the bolt holding the distributor and move it to see if you can fire the engine.  If it happens then it'll confirm that your timing is off.  Very short increments.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

gittbox

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 10:52:39 PM »
Hello All,

I remember when I figured out that right on a motorcycle is the same as starboard on a boat; I had some work to do over at that point. I think I'm in the clear as far as mixing up left and right is concerned... However!!! It is entirely possible that while initially (and, incorrectly, on account of mixing up port and starboard) setting the valve timing I bent my exhaust valves. I for certain remember contact occurring between the piston crowns and the valves.  The carbs could be flooding as well... My friend who sold me the bike never uses the choke, and his Eldo starts right up, I've seen it in person. I'm running 29mm VHB carbs, I think the originals were SS1s. What would be causing the flooding? I haven't been able to find any really good explanation online of how to set the mixture screws for the initial startup of a rebuilt Guzzi engine, I set them three full turns out from the bottom on the advice of a BMW-owning pal. Maybe this is a factor... Of course, there is also still the possibility of the timing being off somehow. I'm going to spend a chunk of Independence Day thinking and wrenching, I'll let you all know how it goes.

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 11:06:36 PM »
If you bent valves you won't have sh*t for compression.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

gittbox

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 11:19:07 PM »
What's an acceptable reading on the compression gauge for a 68 Ambassador?

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2016, 07:15:13 AM »
It's doubtful both exhaust valves kissed if you were running it over by hand. Look for a difference in pressures. 150 psi is nominal. If you have new rings expect lower pressures. Add a bit of oil to cylinders to rule out the rings.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2016, 08:16:00 AM »
I think you must start over checking each system.  Empty the carbs and leave them dry. Check Compression on both barrels. Throttle open ignition off.  Check that your spark is at the right time and will burn fuel. I like to turn the engine by hand with a finger in the spark plug hole until air pushes, then use a straw to find TDC. Move that piston to the timing mark.  Check timing marks and then check distributor. Rotate the distibutor and you should have a spark as you move it back and forth. Once that is proven, then add a bit of fuel with squirt bottle and make it fire off. Then add fuel to the carbs and if they are the problem at least you know the rest is good.  By proving each system you should either find your problem or have a running bike.  Mike

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2016, 09:17:21 AM »
The carbs could be flooding as well... My friend who sold me the bike never uses the choke, and his Eldo starts right up, I've seen it in person. I'm running 29mm VHB carbs, I think the originals were SS1s. What would be causing the flooding? I haven't been able to find any really good explanation online of how to set the mixture screws for the initial startup of a rebuilt Guzzi engine, I set them three full turns out from the bottom on the advice of a BMW-owning pal. Maybe this is a factor... Of course, there is also still the possibility of the timing being off somehow. I'm going to spend a chunk of Independence Day thinking and wrenching, I'll let you all know how it goes.

If the carbs were flooding, you'd know it. Gas would be dripping out somewhere. For initial mixture screw setting, I use 2 turns out for the left and 2 1/4 turns out for the right.

Plug wires: easy to get these wrong because what looks correct isn't. This photo illustrates the correct installation. Upper socket of the cap goes to the right cylinder, lower goes to the left - the plug wires should cross.

More information on VHB carbs here: http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_carburetor_rebuild_-__vhb.html
Charlie

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2016, 03:34:05 PM »
Do like Mike says. :thumb: Luckily it's a non-electronic bike.  Still has points?  That should be easy to sort out.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

gittbox

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2016, 11:59:28 PM »
So, I'm sitting on a plastic bucket, looking at my bike, which is without its mufflers, headers, and heads. It's the fourth of july, my neighbor is firing his sks, epic explosions are echoing across mystery bay, the barn swallows are dive-bombing me and crapping on my Guzzi, and I'm thinking maybe it's time to call a mechanic. I decide to put a 10 degree advance mark on the pulley, even though I'm not sure the stock mark is wrong, and try to re-time the spark. The exhaust valves aren't bent, compression is good in both cylinders, the engine won't fire with the carbs drained and fuel dripped in the spark plug holes, I'm just about at a stand. I get out the degree wheel and for some reason I stop and really study it, and my brain finally remembers what I learned in school many years ago! There are 360 degrees in a circle. The degree wheel is divided into four quadrants of 90 degrees apiece. I had been reading it like a metric scale, assuming a value of one hundred units per quadrant. I reinvented the wheel, which I have a tendency to do... I had to laugh man, all those hours of wrenching on account of having forgotten elementary geometry. I don't have a lot of spare time, but with any luck at all I'll be able to actually start her up on thursday. Thanks to everybody for their suggestions, chewing them over and working them through has, I believe, put me in the right state of mind to realize my mistake. I'm going to get a geometry textbook...

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 01:37:55 AM »
You've never learned anything by doing it right. That'll feel great when it fires! (And it will)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here