Author Topic: Project - Expert Assessment?  (Read 1382 times)

Offline OlDogface

• Hatchling
Project - Expert Assessment?
« on: September 25, 2016, 06:43:43 PM »
Hi all,

I am a new member of the 'Guzzi tribe. I recently purchased a 2013 V7 Stone with 357 miles on the clock. I've thrown my leg over several dozen bikes, owned a couple of Honda's, but this was the first MG I have ever ridden. I was hooked within the first mile and bought it later that day. So, from a brand familiarity perspective, I'm still learning about the bike and the MG line.

My primary wrenching experience is with diesel engines: Army equipment, farm tractors, a couple of old VW's. I have no direct motorcycle wrenching experience beyond oil changes. (Did I mention I owned Hondas?) Anyway, I would like to get to know my Guzzi better by learning a bit about her elders. This bike is a current CL offering in my neck of the woods: 

https://york.craigslist.org/mcy/5773573897.html

I am 82.3% confident I can sort out the engine issues. The "sticky clutch" issue is far more worrisome to me. I don't know a single thing about the "Convert" transmission guts. I have learned, from reading posts here, that from an operator's perspective this transmission is similar to GM Powerglide. So, to cut to the chase, in your expert opinions, is this project bike approximately worth the quid required or is it best avoided? I'm interested in a recondition to ride-able motorcycle rather than a restore to original condition....just a bike I can rescue and eventually resell for about what I would have in it.

Thanks!
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

For every fact there is an infinity of hypotheses.
 ― Robert Pirsig

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Project - Expert Assessment?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 08:56:24 PM »
It's been discussed here before.  In my opinion there's enough of it to work with and most of it is original.  He's got spares enough to get you started.  If you're after a project and a hands-on education, it's probably worth about that -- but I'd want to see it in person to make a final call.  In really good trim they can be worth close to 3x that, and it will be a break-even proposition or close to it when it's 'done' (are they ever?). 

In the pecking order of geese, the Convert is an odd duck.  There were very few made and from the flywheel bolts back the drive and power trains are unique.  It is not ridden like a 5-speed because you don't shift.  So it's not the traditional motorcycle experience -- certainly not the typical Guzzi riding experience.  But those who like them are quite adamant about the natural superiority of the Mighty Vert:  Does nothing really well except throw miles out the back, but it does it forever -- 1 up, 2-up, tugging or towing.  Coast to coast.  All day.   :thumb:

I wouldn't sweat the sticky clutch.  It's not a 'clutch' in the traditional sense and is not used in normal operations.  Some folks disable it altogether.

Offline LeRoy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 09:04:32 PM »
The price looks pretty fair, especially given the minor repairs done, new tires, a good spare gas tank and other issues.

These bikes can, however, eat into your budget with surprises and unknowns. An example on this bike is the "sticky clutch" issue. That could mean something deep within the bowels of the transmission. Perhaps this won't be expensive in terms of dollars but it's definitely an expenditure of time and learning which may challenge or exceed your capabilities. Or it could be a bad clutch cable or something similarly simple. Along the same lines, things like "the bike did run when it arrived..." are a red flag. Hope for the best; plan for the worst.

On the good news side of the ledger, I would expect that if you got the bike for the asking price or less, you could part it out at a decent profit it you found yourself in deeper than you wished.

If it was nearer to me I'd already own it.
LeRoy (Bob Sharp)
Rochester, MI  U.S.A.
'86 LM 1000 (since new in '86)
'79 V1000 G5 (as of '08 and since sold)
'76 V1000 Convert (since Nov. 09)
'83 1000SP (as of Oct. 15)

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 12:17:34 PM »
The price looks pretty fair, especially given the minor repairs done, new tires, a good spare gas tank and other issues.

These bikes can, however, eat into your budget with surprises and unknowns. An example on this bike is the "sticky clutch" issue. That could mean something deep within the bowels of the transmission. Perhaps this won't be expensive in terms of dollars but it's definitely an expenditure of time and learning which may challenge or exceed your capabilities. Or it could be a bad clutch cable or something similarly simple. Along the same lines, things like "the bike did run when it arrived..." are a red flag. Hope for the best; plan for the worst.

On the good news side of the ledger, I would expect that if you got the bike for the asking price or less, you could part it out at a decent profit it you found yourself in deeper than you wished.

If it was nearer to me I'd already own it.

:1: :1:
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 12:17:34 PM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 03:44:14 PM »
WARNING - Old Guzzis have a way of working their way into your heart.
A convert is a very special beast.
You have the expert opinion already.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 05:21:04 PM »
being a 76 it should have the heavy flywheel, I'd want to confirm that since the sheet metal FW could break or already be so if you can't see the bike running. a new FW will be costly if you can find one, they are specific to Convert, nothing else like from a 5 speed will work.
also might be wise to inspect the u-joint/drive shaft, it's a single part and if the splines are worn out or the joints are it will again be very expensive.  same with the splines on the rear drive input..

Heavy FW next to a 5 speed fw from an EV

sheet metal FW after strengthening  the center by brazing with tabs added to run the EV motor..

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 05:27:49 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline OlDogface

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 05:32:16 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I'll try to contact the seller and go take a look this weekend. If the price and condition are right...maybe. I was really looking for something needing mostly cosmetic and/or engine work. Great point that, at worst, I could probably part it out for near cost.

Can someone please explain to me again how I went from girl next door Hondas to possibly getting acquainted with my 'Guzzi's crazy inlaws?
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

For every fact there is an infinity of hypotheses.
 ― Robert Pirsig

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 05:58:21 PM »
From the description, the clutch is the big non-engine/cosmetics issue the bike has.  As I said above, the clutch is not used in normal operations.  Once you get your head around that you'll understand why as long as it's not slipping, the clutch doesn't matter.

As far as that goes, as long as it's not popping out of gear, neither does the gearbox.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here