Author Topic: NGC - Kind of a "Guzzi" firearm  (Read 2193 times)

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
NGC - Kind of a "Guzzi" firearm
« on: September 07, 2018, 08:49:05 PM »
A varmint rifle custom of an 1885 Winchester High Wall, probably done in the late 40s or early 50s. Bought this at a pawn shop offer price about 15 years ago from an aquintance in need of cash. Not all that practical but cool. .219 Donaldson-Wasp with a Unertl 8X. 29 grains of H-4895 propellers a 50 gr. bullet at 3,400 fps.

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: NGC - Kind of a "Guzzi" firearm
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 09:09:26 PM »
pretty cool, I like the scope , why 2 triggers? it doesn't look like a double barrel, hard to tell in the pic.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 09:16:34 PM »
From fotoguzzi:
pretty cool, I like the scope , why 2 triggers? it doesn't look like a double barrel, hard to tell in the pic.
These are "set" triggers. If you just use the front trigger it is more or less like a trigger on a single trigger rifle but if you first pull the rear trigger it "sets" the the front trigger so instead of requiring a few pounds of pull it it only require a few ounces of pull, think "hair" trigger. Makes for more accurate long range shooting.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline craigclu

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 05:05:39 PM »
How well does it shoot?  I used and loved Unertl scopes back in the day.  I recall phoning the Unertl number once.  A lady answered and said, "John's in the garage".  It was a small operation at that point and I believe this was John Jr.  He was very helpful and friendly to talk to.  A Unertl was something of a commitment as the front mount was brazed to barrel.  The long scope allowed rather simple optics to show clear images with virtually no parallax. There was a simple logic to the exterior adjustments that seemed sensible to operate, too.
He who is without oil shall cast out the first rod...”-Detonations 5:72.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 05:05:39 PM »

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 05:30:05 PM »
From craigclu:
How well does it shoot?  I used and loved Unertl scopes back in the day.  I recall phoning the Unertl number once.  A lady answered and said, "John's in the garage".  It was a small operation at that point and I believe this was John Jr.  He was very helpful and friendly to talk to.  A Unertl was something of a commitment as the front mount was brazed to barrel.  The long scope allowed rather simple optics to show clear images with virtually no parallax. There was a simple logic to the exterior adjustments that seemed sensible to operate, too.

It does 3/4 inch groups at 100yds, with two touching holes out of three much of the time. Not exceptional by today's standards but was exceptional for it's time period. The scope has some chips around the edge of the lens and the vertical crosshair is kind of wavy but keeps perfect zero and is very clear so I can live with that. One can get them rebuilt which I may do someday. They are still very desirable scopes.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 05:32:01 PM »
A little off subject.  Back 10 yr. or so the Air Force sent my daughter to Iraq she had never real shot any kind of weapon be for AF.  Well they sent her to  Ws.for 5 wk. combat training.  When they sent the group with my daughter.  She held the rifle a littel unconventional when shooting but at 350 + yards 1/2 in. group.  That night her AF officer came to her and told never to shot like that agein or they would taker her away from him.  Next day back at the rang she shoot all over the target.  But if you want to see how she was holding her weapon.  See how long rang sniper hold a rifle now days. It will blow your mind.Rudyr

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 11:37:06 PM »
Nice one, John.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 08:59:33 AM »
Here is what I expected to see.

MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Delta425

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 03:10:30 PM »
A little off subject.  Back 10 yr. or so the Air Force sent my daughter to Iraq she had never real shot any kind of weapon be for AF.  Well they sent her to  Ws.for 5 wk. combat training.  When they sent the group with my daughter.  She held the rifle a littel unconventional when shooting but at 350 + yards 1/2 in. group.  That night her AF officer came to her and told never to shot like that agein or they would taker her away from him.  Next day back at the rang she shoot all over the target.  But if you want to see how she was holding her weapon.  See how long rang sniper hold a rifle now days. It will blow your mind.Rudyr
Not sure if you meant she shot a 1/2" group at 35 yards or a 12" group at 350 yards, but I KNOW she did not shoot a 1/2" group at 350 yards.... unless she fired but one round....

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 11:31:10 PM »
Target groups can get SMALL with modern target rifles.   My standard Rem.243 BDL does 3" groups at 300 yards with no sweat , even less in calm weather.   I don't have a "Center-Fire - Target rifle" , $$$  , match ammo makes a BIG Difference too .
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 06:21:11 AM »
My daughter is 5’4” at the time and was firing a M16 she said it had a stander laser sight.  She said when she was shooting she said she could hear the rang officers talking (they were standing by her) look at the barrel is level.  She said dad each time I shot the rifle jumped an I to get back on target she hit it multi times at 350 yards + 12 mm group, she didn’t know she was doing any out the ordinarie,  until that AF officer came to her an told her what rang and group she had shoot( she said that she had heard people talking at the chow that evening about a girl shooting so good at rang that day, she didn’t know it was her).  She is in supply and has now been in 12 years and married an one daughter.  No weapons in her home but 9mm pistol I gave her last year.Rudyr

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 07:13:47 AM »
With our new gun laws (and more promised) it's probably now considered an assault rifle in NJ.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Delta425

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 07:16:31 AM »
My daughter is 5�4� at the time and was firing a M16 she said it had a stander laser sight.  She said when she was shooting she said she could hear the rang officers talking (they were standing by her) look at the barrel is level.  She said dad each time I shot the rifle jumped an I to get back on target she hit it multi times at 350 yards + 12 mm group, she didn�t know she was doing any out the ordinarie,  until that AF officer came to her an told her what rang and group she had shoot( she said that she had heard people talking at the chow that evening about a girl shooting so good at rang that day, she didn�t know it was her).  She is in supply and has now been in 12 years and married an one daughter.  No weapons in her home but 9mm pistol I gave her last year.Rudyr
Well, the ROs were messing with her.  Have been around M16s for over 40 years (USMC and other) and if she shot a 1/2" group at 350+ yards, THAT is a world record.  And, yes, there are a few shooters in the world and a few rifles in the world that will shoot groups like that, but the standard, military-issue M16 will not.  Hell, VERY FEW high end AR15s (LWRC, Les Baer, etc.) will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards.  I know, I know - "one ragged hole" - hear that every day, and is, 99% of the time, total BS.  Anyways, I wouldn't be telling that story about your daughter to real gun people as you will be the laugh of the town if anyone actually thinks about and pays attention to what you are saying.  Not calling you a liar, just saying you are telling something that is not true.

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 08:26:44 AM »
 :popcorn:
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 08:12:47 PM »
A varmint rifle custom of an 1885 Winchester High Wall, probably done in the late 40s or early 50s. Bought this at a pawn shop offer price about 15 years ago from an aquintance in need of cash. Not all that practical but cool. .219 Donaldson-Wasp with a Unertl 8X. 29 grains of H-4895 propellers a 50 gr. bullet at 3,400 fps.

GliderJohn

Yeah, that's cool.       :thumb:

Not everything has to be 100% practical.
I also have some odd firearms.

:cool:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 08:15:26 PM by kballowe »

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 06:25:03 PM »
Somebody's telling stories out of school...

My daughter is 5�4� at the time and was firing a M16 she said it had a stander laser sight.  She said when she was shooting she said she could hear the rang officers talking (they were standing by her) look at the barrel is level.  She said dad each time I shot the rifle jumped an I to get back on target she hit it multi times at 350 yards + 12 mm group, she didn�t know she was doing any out the ordinarie,  until that AF officer came to her an told her what rang and group she had shoot( she said that she had heard people talking at the chow that evening about a girl shooting so good at rang that day, she didn�t know it was her).  She is in supply and has now been in 12 years and married an one daughter.  No weapons in her home but 9mm pistol I gave her last year.Rudyr
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Delta425

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 08:25:24 AM »
Somebody's telling stories out of school...
I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say that the ROs (Range Officers) were SERIOUSLY messing with her..... And, she fell for it.  Anyone who has been around guns even a little bit would be suspicious of this story.  I told this story to my 13 yo Granddaughter (pretending that it was believable), and she looked at me and said "Pap, are you sure that is true"?  Now, it's true that she has been shooting since she was 4 and the last 4 years with an AR, so she has an idea of the capabilities in a lot of guns.  Plus, she is around some of my buddies who let who shoot a lot of other guns.  But, she is 13 and an adult told that story, and she wasn't quite buying it.  Anyways, I will contend that the ROs had a great sense of humor.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here