Author Topic: Best rear drive spline lube?  (Read 3763 times)

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
Best rear drive spline lube?
« on: September 10, 2018, 12:56:45 PM »
Greg Bender's website has a lot to say from a lot of people about rear drive spline lube, but a few of them are NLA. Honda Moly 60 has changed to Moly 77 it seems, Amsoil 5th wheel grease is discontinued but NLGI #2 is now recommended; GD-525 is NLA, and Permatex 5th wheel grease is only sold by the box of 300+ for over $300.

Anyone want to provide their recent preferred lube?
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Best rear drive spline lube?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 01:02:46 PM »
I was under the impression that it's not so much "lube" as "water proofing"... am I wrong?
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 01:03:03 PM »
Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 01:21:47 PM »
What Charlie sez.. tenacious stuff, won't fling off.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 01:21:47 PM »

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 01:27:39 PM »
I bought a tube of what Charlie says a couple of years ago, and think its a lifetime supply. That stuff is so sticky, you wont believe its actually a grease, and not a glue! 

It is still there on all the splines after 7000+ miles, when doing a tire replacement. Its the only stuff I have tried that stays put that way.
I have used the permatex 5th wheel grease( black stuff) in a spray can, and it does not remain on the splines like the Wurth. :thumb:
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 01:44:58 PM »
I bought a tube of what Charlie says a couple of years ago, and think its a lifetime supply. That stuff is so sticky, you wont believe its actually a grease, and not a glue! 

It is still there on all the splines after 7000+ miles, when doing a tire replacement. Its the only stuff I have tried that stays put that way.
I have used the permatex 5th wheel grease( black stuff) in a spray can, and it does not remain on the splines like the Wurth. :thumb:
Rick.

Yep, I tried the highly thought of Honda moly. As Pete says, I fart in it's general direction.  :smiley: It was gone in no time.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 01:46:02 PM »
OK then! What Charlie sez!
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 01:49:50 PM »
Yep, I tried the highly thought of Honda moly. As Pete says, I fart in it's general direction.  :smiley: It was gone in no time.

Funny, after I wrote the original post, I researched the Honda stuff, found a Valkyrie Cruiser site where a guy said he wrote a pointed letter to Honda, and they actually replied and said yes, the stuff WAS junk (I'm sure in a very polite and respectful Japanese way), and Honda doesn't even use it.

I'll go with what Charlie sez. Makes sense.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Peter949

• PeterCaliII
  • Hatchling
  • 84 Cali II
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 03:55:25 PM »
Would the 'Wurth' spline grease that Charlie recommends work well for the clutch spline on a California II ? 

Peter

1984  Cali II
Aprilia 125 Sportcity Scooter

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 04:45:07 PM »
Gonna have to get me some of that Wurth stuff. Sounds like a good investment. I've used Valvoline with Moly, and it's more like soft butter, but black (not to be confused with real butter)
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 04:50:15 PM »
Would the 'Wurth' spline grease that Charlie recommends work well for the clutch spline on a California II ? 

I don't use any grease there.

Charlie

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 05:11:14 PM »
I use chain lube in the spray can.  Spray everything a couple of times a year.  I have a MAGNI swingarm with several moving parts.  The drive shaft it open.  I can get to all the splines and the cardan joints have grease fittings. 

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 05:28:53 PM »

I bought this stuff 30+ years ago and still have most of it left. Tenacious to say the least :evil:
     https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kluber-Staburags-NBU-30-PTM-Assembly-Grease/123330176803?hash=item1cb70d2723:g:s6oAAOSwTmtaFc35
    Not cheap either.

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 07:14:58 PM »
I'm w/Charlie, mostly. I have used Honda moly on U joint & main shaft splines for many years. Some that go way back w/bmw airheads will recall the 'red stuff', for the purpose. It was as clear as cherry jello. It was used for years by the cognoscenti and factory. My belief is that they broke traditions in small ways when introducing the K series bikes. They actually put down power. bmw lube choosers either didn't get it, or more to the point some bean counter said; 'this will work'. They smeared on what had to be lubriplate. My new '93 K75S wouldn't change gear, except on back lash. Pulled the drive line and found a feathered, petal shaped cream (of lubriplate), radiating from the splines of the  clutch disc. A Honda mechanic friend suggested their answer, Honda 60. It didn't fling off any of the splines. Worked great 'til the real problem was discovered. That's for another day.

5th wheel grease? OK. It's sticky. I'd much rather have something a bit more refined for spline lube. Think about it. No tolerance, temperature or compatibility requirements. It's cheap as s***. It goes on over road grime.
No one ever cleans a 5th wheel. They steam off the grit/grease on the rare occasion work needs to be done on or near it.  5th wheel grease is likely worse than its predecessor: IOW = Bear grease.  R3~   

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 07:18:59 PM »
Rink Rat: Thanx for the name. Starburags was the manufacturer of the red jello I was speaking about.  R3~

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 03:07:39 AM »
I have a Guzzi riding buddy that uses chain lube in a spray can on his splines,  I have helped him do tire changes / checked the splines on his bikes, and the chain lube seems to stay put pretty good. He used some Bel Ray stuff in a blue/white can.
 If I didnt have the Wurth  sticky stuff, I think a good quality chain lube would be my second choice , in this application.
I also would not put any grease on the clutch hub.  I believe It would make an abrasive paste with the clutch dust, and eventually you would have a real  gummed up mess in there.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline timax

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 03:52:08 AM »
Brake calliper grease is high in moly also.  Their is another  aeroshell product and some gun grease that some of the BMW guys like. If you look on the "Bobs the oil guy" forum there is a thread devoted to it. Some of those guys even make their own using a lithium base stock with molly powder. Penrite and many others are really low percentages of moly.
Only a lame , underpowered piece of shit V7ll with a fake scrambler makeover  not really worthy of a Guzzi badge but its mine and i love it!

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 10:28:27 AM »
I have been using Red-Line CV-2 on my Airhead trans and final drive splines for a very long time, along with the RL- HD Shock Proof in the tranny

Offline Madtownguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 05:26:41 PM »
Randy S.
98 V11 EV
05 HD Electra Glide Classic
Madison, WI

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 05:42:26 PM »
I use Flamingo Maxima EP. Pretty thick stuff.

http://www.askflamingo.com/grease.html

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2018, 08:38:32 PM »
I tried Honda Moly 60 paste. It was gone in a short time. Worthless, especially at preventing corrosion.

For years I then made a mix of Moly 60 and PJ1 chain lube. Then painted that on the splines. That worked pretty well, but still went away.

Now I use stuff that a friend of mine at a machine shop got me. It must be a version of the Wurth stuff that MG Cycle sells. It is more like glue.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Mr Revhead

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2018, 03:43:57 AM »
Weird, the Honda 60 stuff I have works great on the splines of my CX500. Checked after 20k and still plenty there.

If I didn't have assces to that, I'd look for a CV grease. Sticky, and works good in high pressure. Someone mentioned NLGI2, that's just plain normal grease.

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2018, 05:41:02 AM »
BRP (Evinrude/Johnson) Triple Guard Grease.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2018, 08:45:32 AM »
Since I'm in the middle of re-working the final drive on my 82 Goldwing, I'm looking for some top-notch spline lube.

I ordered the tube from MGCycle. I'm expecting that will be a lifetime supply for myself and my motorcycle buddy Mike. I've got two shafty bikes, my Guzzi and the Wing. Mike has a Ural sidecar rig with the 2wd setup. Should be three good platforms to test this on.

Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline Fontain25

• Hatchling
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2018, 09:52:20 AM »
What Charlie said is the stuff. I also use it to "glue" valve keepers in place to assist in reassembly.

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2018, 07:20:59 AM »
Got home last night and my tube of Wurth had arrived.

Tip o' the helmet to the fine folks at MGCycle, they know how to pack things!

It took me a solid two minutes to get down to the tube... and a good knife.

From the outside in:

USPS Flat Rate box that had packing tape around every seam and joint.
Box was filled with packing paper to keep things from shifting.
There was a heavy poly bag that was taped closed with packing tape. Cut that free and unwrapped it.
Discovered there was a second heavy poly bag, also taped closed. and I don't mean a couple strips of tape, both bags were completely sealed.

Once I managed to cut my way through all the packing material I was holding an absolutely perfect tube of grease.

So, kudos to MGCycle, for the bast packing job I think I've ever seen!
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here