Author Topic: Bar end mirrors for 2016 V7II Racer  (Read 2334 times)

Offline hody166

• New Egg
Bar end mirrors for 2016 V7II Racer
« on: September 15, 2018, 03:29:41 AM »
Hi all,   I am looking to put a set of bar end mirrors on my V7II racer.   A bit of searching has shown that there may be a few pitfalls with this idea.   So before I go any further, I thought I would ask around.   You know, 'a stitch in time saves nine', and all that crap :) :)  All ideas / comments welcomed and appreciated.   Cheers.  Don

Offline Strada

• New Egg
Re: Bar end mirrors for 2016 V7II Racer
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 03:34:27 AM »
What are you thinking might be some of the pitfalls?
I have bar end mirrors on my '13 V7R. I'm totally happy with them.
On the other hand I've had normal mirrors on other bikes that I've been equally happy with.
For me it's had more to do with the (optical) quality of the mirror than where it was located as to whether or not I was satisfied.

Offline Strada

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 03:37:04 AM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 07:49:56 AM »
I did ebay Napoleon bar end mirrors on my Cafe Classic and there were no negatives.   
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 07:49:56 AM »

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 03:17:16 PM »
Over my period of ownership of the V7s, I've had various mirror configurations. The original mirrors gave a great view of arms & shoulders, so I first went to bar ends. I found the CRG Hindsight & LS to be brilliant - note that the originals seem to be of a more robust construction than the copies I've tried, and all the parts are replaceable. By moving the switch blocks inboard 10mm the mirrors can be mounted on the handlebar. Buttons with the 10mm groove to hold the mirror are an option - just screw into the threaded inserts with a 6mm socket head bolt - and prettier bar ends made from billet, grooved appropriately, are available with some searching. In the end I couldn't adjust to the depth perception the convex mirror gave - vehicles behind that looked to be far away, were in fact right up my cloaca.

The Napoleons were better - not convex, so a better view, and cheap enough that chopping off the insert end was not a problem. But I found that over time, and hard use, most didn't seem to last long. Usually the ball at the end of the arm (not adjustable) would loosen, and start moving in the wind.

Bar ends give a great view, not only of traffic in your rear, but also of your luggage. A comfort when touring. Although you do have to move your head a little more to use them.

I now use a Rizoma Radial Sports with adapter in the RH mirror slot on the brake lever bracket (RHS for us Imperial types who ride the correct side of the road). Gives good vision behind & minimal vibration. Some people don't like the blue tinge, but it work OK for me. Expensive. So until recently, I had a Napoleons Baren in the LHS. (See photo). The Napoleon's arm bends when the mirror hits the ground first when the bike falls over, and sometimes it can't be straightened. No replaceable parts, so it means a new one - or, as I discovered, replacing the original mirror (in a box for 7 years) works just fine on the low-set Laverda style bars.

The V7S with the Rizoma on the right, and my last remaining Napoleon's bar end on the left. Note the bar end button on the RHS still remaining.

The V7 Classic, with the Rizoma on the right, and the Napoleon on the right ( before the last spill). Now there's the stock mirror in that position, but as the Laverda bars are set low & wide, the view past the arms & shoulders is excellent.

I'd recommend you get some cheap mirrors of various types from eBay & experiment, before investing in the higher priced alternatives. But do go with one of those better ones eventually. Quality, especially in mirrors, is much more satisfying & easier to live with.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 03:24:45 PM by malik »
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline hody166

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 08:42:00 PM »
Thanks for all the comments.  My main concern about this process is selecting mirrors that will fit with the existing bar end weights in place, and not require me to have to move the existing grips inward; if you follow.   Or at the very least, get a set of bar end weights that enable the mirrors to be added to them- perhaps these http://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-cnc-bar-end-mirror-sliders/   Anyway, I will just keep looking around and weighing (excuse the pun) up my options :)

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 03:35:49 PM »
Those from Guzzitech look to be fine. A more refined version of the Corsa Italia (UK - now out of business) original. I have come across others who have machined a groove in the stock weights to fit their mirrors (Guzzi content).
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 11:53:57 AM »
CRG. Put 'em on my V7, never looked back (pun entirely intended).

Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 01:47:28 PM »
Can't comment on installation procedure on a V7 but I have experimented with 3 or 4 different brands and the Napeoleon are the best I've seen yet.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Strada

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 02:06:31 PM »
CRG. Put 'em on my V7, never looked back (pun entirely intended).

You should look back with them. You might change your mind. ;)

I had CRG's on my bike before I changed to the Rizoma mirrors. While the CRG's are high quality construction the optical quality of the mirrors was less than desirable. It didn't help that the lenses were slightly convex. While that gives a wider angle of view it also decreases the depth of view. I've found it more important to have depth of view. I can easily adjust my head to scan a wide angle but cannot correct for a shallow depth of view offered by a convex lens (plus the quality of the lens was not as high as on the Rizomas).   

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here