Author Topic: Track days for those of a certain age  (Read 4135 times)

Lcarlson

Track days for those of a certain age
« on: May 02, 2016, 10:01:02 PM »
Lime Rock Park in northwestern CT is, at long last, opening itself to motorcycle training schools. I've long thought that track experience would be excellent training, but there's never been anything convenient in this area. So, I'm signed up for a September track day, my first. Thing is, though, while I don't really feel any different than I always have as a rider, I'm 68 years old. I wonder if this is a good idea. And I hate the idea that I even have to consider this.

oldbike54

Re: Track days for those of a certain age
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 10:08:47 PM »
 Of course it is a good idea , never too old to learn  :thumb: Have fun  :bike-037:

Dusty

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 11:44:15 PM »
It sounds like great fun, we need a full report.

I have thought of doing track days but don't you need full leathers for that?
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline mgmark

• Hatchling
  • Those schnitzengrubens can wear you out.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 11:53:56 PM »
Sign up for the beginners group. Track days for the most part are very safe. Just don't ride over your head and you'll have a great time.
1984 LeMans > 1985 LeMans + 1978 LeMans > 1989 Lemans > 20 years later, 1985 Lemans > 1980 SP1000
2019 Triumph T100 Bonneville

MGNOC #11062

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 11:53:56 PM »

Lcarlson

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 11:57:48 PM »
It sounds like great fun, we need a full report.

They offer full leathers for rent, but I'm not sure they're required.

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 06:47:19 AM »
I signed on for Jon DelVecchio's "Street Skills" track day:  http://streetskills.net/

He is a member of this group.

I hope to do Lime Rock as well.  Leathers were purchased inexpensively on Craigslist.

If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 06:49:23 AM »
They offer full leathers for rent, but I'm not sure they're required.
I would rent them if doing a track day. they will save your skin if something were to happen.
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500
bunch of other stuff that is long gone.

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 07:34:18 AM »
Lime Rock Park in northwestern CT is, at long last, opening itself to motorcycle training schools. I've long thought that track experience would be excellent training, but there's never been anything convenient in this area. So, I'm signed up for a September track day, my first. Thing is, though, while I don't really feel any different than I always have as a rider, I'm 68 years old. I wonder if this is a good idea. And I hate the idea that I even have to consider this.

I have four years on you and I would sign up if the track was located closer to me.
Bob
We have freedom of speech, as long as we don't say to much.

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 07:43:55 AM »

I wonder if this is a good idea.

It's a great idea!  In the novice group, you'll be riding with newbies on sport bikes and usually a few other experienced riders on standards.  Your R1150R will be great - I guarantee that you'll have fun, you'll learn something (if you are open minded and ask lots of questions), and that you'll pass many of those newbies on sport bikes.  Look at my avatar, even the Stelvio is a hoot on the track!

I recommend the leathers even if they allow textile.  Try to get as much instructor time as possible.  The school I've been to a couple of times has an instructor follow you for a few laps then pull in to give you some feedback.  I did that for two or three sessions throughout the day, really helped me work on body position and looking through the corners.  Don't be afraid to get your butt off the seat, positioning is very important.

Hydrate and eat healthy starting early, you'll be tired by the end of the day.  I trailered the bike once and rode it there and back once;  1.5 hours home through Houston traffic in June heat was a bit much, but it's really no problem to ride to the track, take off mirrors and tape it up, and show the youngsters how it's done!

Have fun and post a pic afterwards.

Tom
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 07:51:46 AM by toma nova »
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 08:50:08 AM »

Not usually.  At many track days they will simply require full coverage "motorcycle jacket and pants", which can be textile.  Full Face Helmet.  Gloves.  Motorcycle Boots.  They'll also usually require a back protector.  Every sanctioning group is a little different.  Some may require leather in the "Advanced" or "Race" class, while allowing textile in the "Novice" or "Street" class.

Some require removal of mirrors, lights,  and license plate.  Some will simply let you tape over them.  Every organization is a little different, and it can be different from Beginner to Intermediate to Race.  It's worth checking the rules beforehand, so you can have your bike and your gear prepped for the day...

I prefer leather at the track, but if I was going to a trackday where it was going to be hot, I'd consider textile.  Most of the trackdays I've attended have been in the spring or fall, so temperature was not a problem.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:53:55 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 08:56:44 AM »

It's a good idea.  Sign up for the "novice" or "street" class.  If you prove faster than the others in that class, many organizations will let you move up to "intermediate".  You're there to learn about yourself and your bike.  It's not a race.  Ride your own ride and focus on what you're doing.  I've learned a lot at track days about limits and control. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:34:37 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Lcarlson

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 10:24:36 AM »
[quote author=toma nova link=topic=83237.msg1314446#msg1314446 date=1462279435  Your R1150R will be great - I guarantee that you'll have fun, you'll learn something (if you are open minded and ask lots of questions), and that you'll pass many of those newbies on sport bikes.  Look at my avatar, even the Stelvio is a hoot on the track.

Tom
[/quote]

You don't think I should take the Cali?

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 11:00:06 AM »
go for it.  Check the rules.  Most allow for armored textile and DOT helmets.  Some will have you to prep the bike by removing mirrors and and taping the lights.  All will inspect the tires and the general mechanic of the bike.

The last one I did just went for the minimum, textile gear and a bike inspection with no special prep.

I am planning to do my first "high speed" on Friday at Hallet but on 4 wheels.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline samfrank

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 01:14:02 PM »
I recently completed the YCRS (Yamaha Champions Rider School) out in Tucson. Having never done a track day I was a bit nervous. But as an experienced rider it was great. And at 64 I was not the oldest taking this school! They do a summer program in New Jersey. It is a bit pricey as I rented everything from riding suit, all gear, and Yamaha R6 track bike. I had to switch to a FZ-09 the second day as the clip-ons gave my wrists havoc. It was a great learning experience and I can't remember a time when I had more fun!! You'll love it!
1973 Eldorado
2013 Norge - moving to Arizona to live with John.
2015 Yamaha FJR1300

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 03:15:39 PM »
I recently completed the YCRS (Yamaha Champions Rider School) out in Tucson. Having never done a track day I was a bit nervous. But as an experienced rider it was great. And at 64 I was not the oldest taking this school! They do a summer program in New Jersey. It is a bit pricey as I rented everything from riding suit, all gear, and Yamaha R6 track bike. I had to switch to a FZ-09 the second day as the clip-ons gave my wrists havoc. It was a great learning experience and I can't remember a time when I had more fun!! You'll love it!

Can you tell us a bit more about this school in Tucson? My son may be interested.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Lcarlson

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 05:18:13 PM »

I'm thinking that renting a track bike would make sense too. The outfit running this one uses Ninja 300s and 650s, which are basically faired standards.

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 05:25:09 PM »
So, I'm signed up for a September track day, my first. Thing is, though, while I don't really feel any different than I always have as a rider, I'm 68 years old. I wonder if this is a good idea. And I hate the idea that I even have to consider this. 

As others have said -- "Go for it!".  I think it's a great idea.  I only wish there was a similar opportunity near me, and I passed 68 years of age more than a decade ago.  You don't have to be the fastest rider out there and the experience will certainly help you in your future road riding.

Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 09:24:58 PM »
Do it do it do it!  :thumb:
And as kirby says use your bike, the one you know. I would advise a good tune up and change the brake fluid and pads! The track will kill them quick if they aren't in good nik.
Hunter
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 09:25:46 PM by Idontwantapickle »
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline tonyduc

• Gosling
    • Staccato Cycle
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 01:02:38 PM »
I signed up for the May 30 track day at Lime Rock with TPM (Team Pro Motion). are you doing this with a school or organization like TPM? TPM requires leathers but at the beginning level it can be two piece zip rather than one piece. Also, look into the bike prep rules, at beginner level there's no drain plug or filter wiring, but all lights must be taped over or removed. Did a track day 8 years ago with Kevin Scwantz, now I got the urge to do this again.

Tony
2011 Stelvio -white
1976 T3
1996 Ducati 900ss CR
2017 Yamaha XT250
1966 Ford Bronco

Former
1969 Ducati 450 SCR
1984 California II
07 Honda VFR
71 CL350
08 Ducati 848
05 Ducati M620
80 Yamaha XS650
73 Suzuki TC100

Lcarlson

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 02:42:23 PM »
I signed up for the May 30 track day at Lime Rock with TPM (Team Pro Motion). are you doing this with a school or organization like TPM? TPM requires leathers but at the beginning level it can be two piece zip rather than one piece. Also, look into the bike prep rules, at beginner level there's no drain plug or filter wiring, but all lights must be taped over or removed. Did a track day 8 years ago with Kevin Scwantz, now I got the urge to do this again.

Tony

I'm also doing TPM. I'm leaning toward renting one of their track Ninjas, and guess I'll have to rent leathers too. I'll be interested in your impression.

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 02:51:16 PM »
I'm also doing TPM. I'm leaning toward renting one of their track Ninjas, and guess I'll have to rent leathers too. I'll be interested in your impression.

I would also recommend taking one of your own bikes. Learning a new bike might take half a day. Part of the experience is learning the limits of your bike. Their Ninjas might have way more brake then you are used to and you could easily lock up the front early on. End of your track day.

Pete

Offline Bud

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 07:10:05 PM »
I've done 3 track days in the past and you will have a great time !  The first time I was nervous as hell and it was a lot to take in. All three were on a 05 750 gixxer, the first in New Hampshire and a couple of years later 2 at Thompson. I can tell you that a track day will humble you and make you realize how much technique there really is to going fast. You will probably pass a lot of big egos on the track as well. The second track day was very good as I took the info from the first track day and focused on that and was riding with confidence after the second session.( Still very slow but felt good!) I would definitely rent the leathers, boots and gloves. A couple of guys went down and good gear makes a huge difference. I went in the novice group all three times and wasn't getting run over by anyone. I took all three with Penguin and the instructors were excellent. I took my own bike because I didn't want to have to spent 1/2 a day getting used to a rental. The Custom seems a bit large so your BMW might be better. My son takes his modified Miata to Limerock and I went last year to watch him. Thompson had some guardrails that made me nervous and I know Limerock has a lot of guardrails as well but it depends in how they guard then, air fence etc. The best tracks have large run offs for mistakes, BE CAREFUL.

Offline samfrank

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 06:55:41 AM »
Can you tell us a bit more about this school in Tucson? My son may be interested.
Rick.

The folks who run this are part owners and have all been on the "podium". There is classroom work and track time. More time on the track. The track is in Wilcox AZ. Very good student to instructor/student ratio. They put us in small (2,3,4) groups when on the track. Somehow they can figure out skill level. All I can say is it was very well run and professionally done. I recommend googling YCRS. Their website is very informative.
1973 Eldorado
2013 Norge - moving to Arizona to live with John.
2015 Yamaha FJR1300

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here