Author Topic: 2015 Indian Scout merged threadfest  (Read 102107 times)

Offline NorthernProducer

• New Egg
Re: 2015 Indian Scout merged threadfest
« Reply #300 on: August 23, 2015, 06:41:08 PM »
NorthernP, it may help if you know that Aaron has two Scouts that he and his wife have already ridden across country.

Yes, I noticed he indicated he had a Scout.  My experience was targeted to those that have been speculating about the Scout and might appreciate getting some feedback from an actual owner.  Note, I've been riding for 55 years and on several brands and feel I can offer some honest feedback.  If I can add some balance to the "cheers" given the Scout from some of the motorcycle magazines, then I guess that adds some "fairness" to the general observations we see in print and on the forums. 

No offense to Aaron is intended and I'm glad he and his wife enjoy their Scouts.
USAF '67-72

Guzzi-less for the moment

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #301 on: August 23, 2015, 07:20:04 PM »
Wow, 30's for fuel, something strange there.

Anyway, experiences are what they are. Sorry yours hasn't made you happy, and I heard about paint issues-though ours are beautiful, and both are early bikes-and you don't have to look hard on this forum to find folks with Guzzi problems, too. Again, problems I've never had.

Funny thing, I've met lots of Guzzi and Scout owners now, and neither bunch has issues, only the people I know from the internet in both cases.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #302 on: August 23, 2015, 07:24:34 PM »
To be clear I'm not indicting you or your experience. Thanks for sharing.

Ironically, as both a Sportster and Guzzi smallblock enthusiast I hear much of your objections as "same old" for the market segment (entry level product).  Well, Harley paint is usually a benchmark for excellence and their accessories are usually quality and available. But owners bitch non-stop about the suspension and brakes. And as a Guzzi owner I'm used to bitching about poor assembly.

Still it's good to go into anything with as much data as we can get.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 07:26:24 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #303 on: August 24, 2015, 08:09:21 AM »
NP brings up something I forgot-
Shortly after getting my Scout I noticed something odd on the left shock. I pulled the lower mounting bolt and found the shock was not mounted straight-the lower eye was away from the swingarm by the thickness of an M12 washer.

Both our bikes got the washer and the suspension became much more smooth.

I did post this note to the Scout forum, as some people had leaky shocks, and even a few bent ones. I also sent a note to our dealer.

Best check this if you buy a Scout. If you bottom the suspension with this condition, you will likely damage the left shock.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #303 on: August 24, 2015, 08:09:21 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #304 on: August 24, 2015, 08:22:42 AM »
So this morning (with the announcement of the 2016 Harley model changes/upgrades) we've learned that after 58 MODEL YEARS Harley has FINALLY upgraded the SUSPENSION on the SPORTSTERS!

(I mean, they've made a few little changes here and there before but hopefully this is a little more meaningful).

Basically they went to all new shocks, and new cartridge forks. And they are for the FIRST TIME EVER (I know this is pathetic, but baby steps) actually supplying a spanner that goes under the seat for shock adjustments.

I mention it only because of this talk on the Scout suspension and the fact that I can't think of an entry-level product where people don't bitch about the suspension and often upgrade it: Sportster (we'll see if that's still true), Bonnie, V7 series, etc.

(And FWIW, I think it was 2014 when they finally added ABS and upgraded the brakes again to larger calipers and master cylinders).

I have to wonder if pressure from manufacturers like Indian isn't behind some of the motivation to address these things!

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #305 on: August 24, 2015, 08:34:57 AM »
Sportster 1200S had really nice adjustable suspension, front and rear. 

Nice that the whole line is getting an upgrade, though.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #306 on: August 24, 2015, 08:43:48 AM »
Sportster 1200S had really nice adjustable suspension, front and rear. 

Nice that the whole line is getting an upgrade, though.

Yes, well aware of that model, so did the XR and more importantly XRX, but those were short lived flashes in the pan.

I'm talking about across the line. And I'm not under the impression these new components are at the level of the 1200S or the XRX, but they should be better than what was there...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #307 on: October 05, 2015, 06:24:58 AM »
So-10,000 miles in, on two Scouts.

No issues of any kind at all. OEM tires still fine.the leather-trimmed bags (on mine especially) are showing some weathering.

The seats look like new. Never a stall, stumble or anything else, and the performed fine from sea level  too over 10,000 feet, with consistent MPG over 50.

Since learning how to lean my body in during cornering, I have only dragged the pegs on low speed maneuvers, and I was pushing it a bit yesterday. Interestingly my friend with a Cali 1400 has the same experience!

Suspension remains adequate and only suffers from expectations of bikes with more travel. It is so much like a vintage bike!

We traveled quite a bit this year, and even did quite a bit on dirt/gravel recently. My very own adventure bike!

This has been quite a year, maybe I'll write more in another thread. I just wanted to make an update for the Scout-curious.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #308 on: October 05, 2015, 07:04:48 AM »
So-10,000 miles in, on two Scouts.

No issues of any kind at all. OEM tires still fine.the leather-trimmed bags (on mine especially) are showing some weathering.

The seats look like new. Never a stall, stumble or anything else, and the performed fine from sea level  too over 10,000 feet, with consistent MPG over 50.

Since learning how to lean my body in during cornering, I have only dragged the pegs on low speed maneuvers, and I was pushing it a bit yesterday. Interestingly my friend with a Cali 1400 has the same experience!

Suspension remains adequate and only suffers from expectations of bikes with more travel. It is so much like a vintage bike!

We traveled quite a bit this year, and even did quite a bit on dirt/gravel recently. My very own adventure bike!

This has been quite a year, maybe I'll write more in another thread. I just wanted to make an update for the Scout-curious.

:thumb:  Thanks for the report!

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #309 on: December 15, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »
I sat on a scout at the NYC bike show
there is nothing that I like about that bike
I did like the Royal Enfields though
talk about demographics!

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #310 on: December 16, 2015, 01:14:16 PM »
I bought a "1st Run" 2015 Scout and took delivery in December.  The engine is the best feature and the rest of the bike suffers from a weak suspension (too stiff shocks and too soft forks), Kenda tires that just didn't perform for me, POOR paint, questionable build quality (had to go over the bike to tighten quite a few fasteners), pricey accessories that are just now becoming available...the windshield I tried was returned because of poor fit and added turbulence (the aftermarket is now catching up), disappointing gas mileage which turns the bike into short trip machine (remember Sportster peanut tanks?), a brake system recall...I could go on, but I wrote a full review for the Indian forum if you want more details.  The experience was so disappointing that my wife cancelled her order.  If Indian is on your shopping list...my advice is to focus on the Chief's.

Polaris mismanaged the whole launch and on more than one occasion, the CEO (Scott Wine) admitted they screwed up...an interview for the Wall Street Journal last month admitted the paint issue was because the new paint system they installed did not include the required final paint drying station.  The tank fabricators were tasked with painting the tanks...horrible, paint missing, flacking off, fish eyed, thin to no clear coat.  Funny, he expressed his surprise that motorcyclists were so particular about the paint!  They also had a national search for a suspension engineer that hopefully will replace that person that messed up the Scout's suspension spec's.  I could go on, but I think you probably get a sense of how one owner/rider judges his Scout experience.

I have a 2015 Griso that is my preferred ride...it will ride circles around my Scout on the challenging roads in my part of Tennessee.  I estimate that for the funds necessary to address the Scouts "issues", you would have more than enough $$$ to buy a Griso.  I'm considering dumping my Scout at this point while they are still in demand.

Interestingly, I see MG posts on both the Indian and Victory forums to a generally positive response.

Ride safe!

Another example why I don't buy any new or  used bike until I ride it first.  :bow:

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #311 on: December 16, 2015, 05:48:48 PM »
I really have to chime in here-we have 2 first run Scouts, best bikes I've had.

The above Scout owner was also posting his experiences on the Scout forum-most complaints originated from late delivery.

The first shipment had a few examples of paint issues and a possible missions talked circlip on the rear master cylinder. They stopped delivery until they were fixed.

My wife's bike was one of the very first-no issues. Mine was held until May-no issues.

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #312 on: January 10, 2016, 03:39:47 PM »
Just saws these pics of a sweet-looking slightly customized '15 Scout.   It looks like just a seat change and some paint.   IMHO, it makes good looking bike even better!

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #313 on: January 10, 2016, 04:13:25 PM »
Newly opened local dealer has sold so many Indians already that it looks like a Harley dealer in his used bike area.  :grin:
Charlie

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #314 on: January 10, 2016, 05:16:59 PM »
Just saws these pics of a sweet-looking slightly customized '15 Scout.   It looks like just a seat change and some paint.   IMHO, it makes good looking bike even better!

And seat
And floor boards
And pipes are coated too right.

Are those stock bars?

But yeah, like it.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #315 on: January 10, 2016, 08:22:42 PM »
That is one sweet looking Scout!
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #316 on: January 11, 2016, 06:30:27 AM »
Except for the pipes and paint, it's all stock/dealer accessories. That may be the factory option seat, or one of the "usyal" accessory makers. Boards are Aeromach.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #317 on: January 26, 2016, 09:25:52 PM »
My local dealership just built this custom Scout.

Cool stuff.  Polaris really has something with the revitalized Indian marque.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #318 on: January 26, 2016, 10:54:45 PM »
Scout Faux Tracker

Pike's Peak Derivative

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #319 on: January 27, 2016, 06:05:29 AM »
There's a national Scout custom competition being hosted on the Indian website, dealers are entered from the world.

My dealer has the official Indian blue Scout with the girder fork and Jeep tires. He's built some others including a "military" version to go with his restored Army Scout 741.

Offline Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #320 on: February 13, 2016, 11:31:18 AM »
Has anyone ridden a Scout back to back with a Cal 14?

M
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #321 on: February 13, 2016, 11:59:33 AM »
Yes, a year ago.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #322 on: February 13, 2016, 12:46:22 PM »
Has anyone ridden a Scout back to back with a Cal 14?

M

Back-to-back, no.

But interesting question in that aside from maybe style, ergos, and maybe power-to-weight ratio they're pretty different bikes.

Or started another way, there is a pretty big difference in size/mass and maybe suspension and brakes.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #323 on: February 13, 2016, 03:37:47 PM »
Yes, I have. Different, the Cal feels more sophisticated, a more dampened feel to the way the bike moves. Both nice bikes.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #324 on: February 13, 2016, 04:52:21 PM »
Haven't seen ONE new Indian yet.

From a insider, "Polaris can't keep up with demand"?

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #325 on: February 13, 2016, 05:26:38 PM »
If you aren't looking for one they may not stand out from a distance.

Offline organfixsing

• Hatchling
« Reply #326 on: February 13, 2016, 05:43:26 PM »
I notice in the video about the wall of death the original Scout motorcycles were not a feet forward job but a bent knee job.

Cheers

Brian  :grin:
If you remove the wings of a fly, does that make it a walk?

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #327 on: August 15, 2016, 08:11:24 AM »
Quick update related to the mousehole in my wife's bike-

Besides all the humor in looking at the big hole chewed into the filter ( 6 mice dead so far now btw) there is a recall on all Indians for a reflash.

She had hers done, I rode over this past Saturday and had it done while I waited. Though I didn't think my bike needed anything, seemed about the same as any other FI bike..
But apparently I was wrong. Wow-the new map feels like a really well sorted carbed bike. The original issue was that some bikes would get a hunting idle when hot, but in addition the new map got rid of any snatchy feeling at whatever. Nice work.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here