Author Topic: Looking to get new gear. Input please.  (Read 9924 times)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2016, 10:49:38 PM »
Luap, my gear is Neo. I have a two piece set up, the jacket being a Suzuka model, which is heavier than my wife's Imola model. Bought it when I got the Breva in early 2004. Made of Cordura, armoured and was waterproof for many years. Now I apply a coating every now and then which keeps it pretty watertight. Was very thankful for it when we hit a large oil slick and slid a very long way. Got a couple of holes in it but did it's job and still pretty good. Comes with a quilted inner for cold weather. Never used the trouser inner and don't usually bother with the jacket liner either.

Cost a few hundred $NZ at the time but have never regretted it.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2016, 05:22:26 AM »
Aerostich.   Not inexpensive but might be the last suit you ever buy.  My last one was 13 years old and I only gave it to my nephew because it was no longer waterproof.  He'll never ride in the rain.  Otherwise it was near perfect.

Peter Y.

Just a side note Peter: It is pretty easy to retreat the material to be waterproof again. I have done it with success more than once, so I can repeat the results.

Luap, I see you would like the Stich but it is too expensive. If I added up what I spent on less expensive things trying to find what works, I could have bought the Stich in the first place and been money ahead, since that is eventually what I ended up with. (Just food for thought.)

John Henry

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2016, 05:42:26 AM »
I see Aerostich recommend Nikwax products to clean and waterproof their clothing. This product was invented in England years ago and is brilliant for reviving old waterproof clothing.

http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline wyrtyr2

• Hatchling
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2016, 05:44:22 AM »
Stitch for sure.  Their customer service is great, and the suit is a serviceable piece of riding equipment.  BTW, I have a men's 44 long and a women's 38 reg in Hi-Viz I would sell realistically and a 46 2pc Darien also- blue black pants.  I have been a AeroStitch rider since 1989.  I live 70 miles from their factory/showroom, and know Andy personally.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2016, 05:44:22 AM »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2016, 05:47:49 AM »
Luap,
I wear an Aerostich Darien Jacket and sometimes the pants for 3 seasons.  Very nice jacket with lots of storage, protection and ventilation when you need it.   But when the summer heat arrives I start wearing a mesh jacket, the Darien is warm in the heat.  But I still use it if I am taking a long tour type ride for days at a time.  My friends that wear the Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece suits tell me it gets a little too warm if the temps are over 80.

This and maybe John H's posts are closest to me.

I started wearing Stich in the 90's. Wound up with 2 Darien jackets for years and finally sold the first one to a board member here a few years ago. I still wear the other and the pants when weather is appropriate (cold and/or wet).

I've had 2 smaller offs in them without a scratch on me and barely one on the Stich. I've arrived at rallies in day long pouring rain as dry as possible. I've slept in it.

I did start wearing a mesh jacket in the summer some years ago as it is definitely more comfortable in temps 80°+F But I've also be drowned like a river rat a few times that I chose the mesh and didn't also bring the Stich along.

I see people who are happy with less expensive gear from competitors, but I always wonder if they are as good or would hold up as well and as long.

I may go buy a second Darien (the Light) this year if I can justify it.

I've never tried the ice in the pockets trick in the summer, but maybe I should.

I would probably consider the 1 piece Roadcrafter if I commutted or toured more. But you can't beat the Darien for flexibility.

And the FWIW, I do occasionally hear reports of people in 1-piece suits (Stich or other brands) complain about zipper leaks at the crotch. One nice advantage about the Darien is the 3/4 length jacket provides extra crotch protection acting like a train flap over whatever riding pants you've chosen.

YMMV, but I'm glad I chose Stich all those years ago.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:51:17 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2016, 06:16:18 AM »
This one would be perfect if I could pull the liner out...
http://www.revzilla.com/product/firstgear-thermo-1-piece-suit

That's what I use from October through April. It has no armor though.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2016, 09:05:41 AM »
I'm a big proponent of 'stich two-pieces. Ride in summer w perfed leather Vanson britches and the 'stich top. Both in cooler weather.

Watch eBay - barely used units come up for sale frequently - they wash easily.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2016, 10:16:33 AM »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2016, 11:38:54 AM »
I bought a Joe Rocket Survivor a couple years ago and it has all the features you mentioned.  The only complaint I have is the main front zipper is not a douple-pull type, so for a "rest stop" you have to unzip it all the way down.  Everything else about it is great... waterproof, warm, removable insulated liner, good visibility if you get the non-all-black one, and comfortable.  Price is in the mid $300 area.

Been looking for a one piece waterproof suit!

Thanks, Joe Rocket Survivor looks like the ticket. NO, I'm not going to spend over 1k for a stich!  :boozing:

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2016, 11:46:15 AM »
Motorcyclegear.com is closing out all the first gear  TPG one piece suits for 299.00. Originally 699.00.
Supposed to be waterproof. MCN did a comparison couple of years ago and liked it. I have limited experience with the one I got for Christmas so can't give much feedback

Thanks, may spring for the TPG!

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2016, 11:56:19 AM »
Stitch for sure.  Their customer service is great, and the suit is a serviceable piece of riding equipment.  BTW, I have a men's 44 long and a women's 38 reg in Hi-Viz I would sell realistically and a 46 2pc Darien also- blue black pants.  I have been a AeroStitch rider since 1989.  I live 70 miles from their factory/showroom, and know Andy personally.

PM sent!  :thumb:

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2016, 12:21:24 PM »
A 'Stitch just sold for 350 over on ADV rider.  There are several for sale.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline lost

• New Egg
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2016, 12:33:50 PM »
I was looking a the one piece at[ jacksonracingcomau] which was about $ 460.00 plus freight from AU. Looks great but a long way to go to change size if it's off. It looks really easy for old farts to get on and off. Most of the suits make me look like a turtle on it's back when trying to put the pants on. Would love to see one in the flesh. They have some videos that make it look really nice. I may have my brother pick one up for me the next time he is in AU.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2016, 12:35:07 PM »
A 'Stitch just sold for 350 over on ADV rider.  There are several for sale.

Link? Size 44L  :boozing:

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2016, 12:37:30 PM »
I was looking a the one piece at[ jacksonracingcomau] which was about $ 460.00 plus freight from AU. Looks great but a long way to go to change size if it's off. It looks really easy for old farts to get on and off. Most of the suits make me look like a turtle on it's back when trying to put the pants on. Would love to see one in the flesh. They have some videos that make it look really nice. I may have my brother pick one up for me the next time he is in AU.

lol - got a size 50 euro full leathers (15 years old), they must have shrunk hanging in the closet!  :boozing:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 12:38:25 PM by Cool Runnings »

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2016, 12:41:48 PM »
The march 2016 Rider mag has a pretty positive review on a "Rev'It Cayenne pro" jacket and pants. But still over $900 for both.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2016, 12:48:54 PM »
The march 2016 Rider mag has a pretty positive review on a "Rev'It Cayenne pro" jacket and pants. But still over $900 for both.
GliderJohn

dang, could do a nice trip for 1k.  :popcorn:

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2016, 01:35:52 PM »
I have a Klim jacket (not a real fancy one) and an Aerostitch Darien. I prefer the Klim--I think the details are a little nicer.

Rich A

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2016, 02:03:33 PM »
I got an Aerostich suit last year.  Thought about it and worried about it for several years before I finally pulled the trigger.  I had been riding for years previously with cheapo equipment.  My opinion thus far is that the Stich was expensive, but worth it, and I should have done it sooner.  Like my wife sometime says when I over-analyze things, "It's not a life decision".

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2016, 02:51:58 PM »
Another possible angle to save a bit of money with Aerostich is to look for stuff they put on sale after it's been at one of their pop-up sales. I picked up a Transit suit a couple of years ago at significant savings. It looked like it had never even been out of its plastic bag. Dunno if they advertise those online; I picked mine up at the store.
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2016, 06:26:21 PM »
They go quick on ADV.

I looked at the Aerostitch size chart, knew what I needed, and then kept checking.  Took my a few weeks to find size I needed and color I could live with.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2016, 04:28:54 PM »
Not exactly a one piece, but I did just pick up an excellent condition Tourmaster Intake 2 from ebay for $9.  Not a whole lot to lose.  My current tourmaster jacket is dead anyway.

I'm also eyballing a tourmaster one piece...you never know.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

oldbike54

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2016, 04:38:57 PM »
 9 bucks ????? Dayum

Dusty

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2016, 04:40:39 PM »
9 bucks ????? Dayum

Dusty

That's what I thought too.  Hehe, get lucky every now and then.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2016, 05:06:08 PM »
Aerostitch is nice; I was in their shop last week looking at pants.

Local fellow Guzzi rider wore 'stich for years, now wears Klim. I think I have to agree with him, Klim has moved on and makes a better product but holy moly the prices! And they are made in China so you gotta wonder where the bucks are going.

Roadgear came to the Datil rally a coupe years ago; first outfit that had pants for my long legs (the main reason I go with two piece outfits as no one makes a one piece that I fit in, being mostly leg.....). But now Aerostich makes a pant that will fit, with better positioned armor so I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on their Darian Light pants. That said, the Roadgear pants and jacket have kept me dry in gully washers and all day rains, no complaints there. I'm on the second set of pants after I crashed the Griso and ruined the first pair. They worked well.

I'm jacket rich right now and tend to use a First Gear kilimanjaro jacket as it fits very nice and vents better than the Roadgear unit. Lighter fabrics though, I think the Roadgear would fare better in a get off. Both are very warm and waterproof.

If First Gear and Roadgear are any indications, very nice gear can be found for less than Klim or Aerostich prices. Performance may not match, but I bet approach 95% of the top shelf gear. I have Tour Master boots, while nice I use my Sidi's 90% of the time and have never had a good reason to look at their pants or jackets.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2016, 06:59:23 PM »
Not exactly a one piece, but I did just pick up an excellent condition Tourmaster Intake 2 from ebay for $9.

Along those lines, my daughter just bought a pair of leather sport  type riding pants from Cycle Gear.  I found them on on closeout, list $219.99, now $39.97, and phoned her.  The catch is they're available only in XS.  Fortunately, according to the sizing chart, that's the size she needs.  Woo Hoo!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:18:13 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

HardAspie

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2016, 07:42:03 PM »
For what it may be worth, like that and ten dollars will buy me some sort of latte thingie, I will need new gear soon and an thinking:

Helmet: HJC CL 17 white. Had one for the scooter. DOT and Snell 2010 full face decently vented

Jacket: I would like perforated leather, possibly AGV

Vest: Moto Air airbag

Pants: a pair of perforated leather to go over my jeans

Boots: Carolina makes a nice engineer boot but I just saw an ad for Highway 21 that look like they have serious soles

Gloves and rain gear: undecided

HardAspie

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2016, 07:53:51 PM »
Cheap is good!

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2016, 08:14:59 PM »
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

HardAspie

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2016, 08:37:01 PM »
Aye, free is better!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here