Author Topic: Stelvio to Manila  (Read 5248 times)

Bottler

Stelvio to Manila
« on: February 13, 2016, 05:23:40 AM »
Hi Guzzistas,

I am moving to Manila in July for a couple of years and plan to take my Stelvio. Can anyone give any advice on the problems that might arise in getting the bike throug Filipino Customs etc?

Thanks

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Stelvio to Manila
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 07:52:49 AM »
Obvious answer is obvious, would it not be better to ask the Philippine embassy or appropriate govt department rather than taking random advice off the internet. Some SE asian countries have quiet heavy taxes on vehicle imports to protect the local industry.

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 08:33:28 AM »
Check the Asia forum on ADVRider.com for bike-specific info and Horizons Unlimited (hubb) for truck / general world travel stuff.  HUBB in particular has good info about customs, carnets, etc.

Keep us posted and take lots of pics of the Stelvio in interesting places!

Tom
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 09:00:28 AM »
 Yeah , check with the Phiippine authorities . Most countries have different sets of regs regarding short term and long term vehicle importation . Some even have regs stating you can't sell a vehicle in their country , it must leave when you do .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 09:00:28 AM »

Bottler

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 03:39:34 PM »
Yes the obvious is to check with the Philippine authorities, which I have done. What I was hoping for in posting this request was advice from someone who has actually imported a bike into The Philippines. There are concerns around delays on the waterfront and excess bureaucracy, these are the areas that I need more info on.

I will certainly get some photos here once the Stelvio is in country.

Thanks

Offline Hal

• Gosling
  • San Jose, California 2003 Stone 2004 Coppa Italia
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 04:33:44 PM »
There is a member here, I think the name is (pcoumbe) in Legazpi, city who imported from Australia.
I would be interested in what you find out. I think it may be very expensive.
If your staying in manila metro area I think you.'ll find the Stelvio too large. Traffic is horrendous!!
I.'ve been traveled in the Pi. Several times, I think I.d want a 250 enduro

Hal

Bottler

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 05:52:48 PM »
Thanks I have sent a PM to P Coumbe. I am thinking a V7 Scrambler might be more fun.

Cheers

Bottler

Offline Hal

• Gosling
  • San Jose, California 2003 Stone 2004 Coppa Italia
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 05:55:58 PM »
 :bike-037: I'll be there later this year. Wife I have place in malanday,Valenzuela.
When are moving?
Hal

Bottler

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 08:45:44 PM »
Hal,

I will get to Manila in July.

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 09:33:38 AM »
Philippine customs is beaucoup corrupt.  Take plenty of cash to expedite customs clearance.  If you don't, you'll be waiting a loooooong time to get your Stelvio.

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 10:02:43 AM »
Philippine customs is beaucoup corrupt.  Take plenty of cash to expedite customs clearance.  If you don't, you'll be waiting a loooooong time to get your Stelvio.
Don't know about now; but in the 60's this was absolutely CORRECT!!

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 10:20:03 AM »
My last trip there was in 2008.  Still shaking everybody down.

Bottler

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 05:10:59 AM »
Thanks for your advice, I'll let you how I get on

Cheers

Bottler

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 05:34:00 AM »
Careful.. Your bike will end up looking like this if you misplace it:

Nice tread on the "BMW" hack!

Can you imagine a front tire blowout with a loaded side car?

John

1983 Le Mans III
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 06:49:19 AM »
Don't know how things work in the Philippines, but in Mexico a local "fixer" has been invaluable to me. Try to find someone who knows or is related to a customs official. It can save you a lot of time and money. Have cleared emergency engine parts while standing in the parking lot of a Mexican airport. Another route is to contact a local import/export agency, there is one in every major port worldwide. Get a firm price on fees before signing anything. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 06:54:09 AM by clubman »
V7C (gone to a good home),'04 Coppa Italia (Oh my!), OSSA Explorer Street Tracker,'17 KTM 690 Duke, Monster 900S,  KTM 790S Adventure, Speed Triple 1050S (yow!)

danketchpel

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 01:19:12 AM »
Don't know about now; but in the 60's this was absolutely CORRECT!!
Yes, and the customs people in Manila are the worst. We try to go through Cebu as they are more reasonable.

The kicker is the taxes they'll hit you with. My suggestion is seriously consider how badly you want your Stelvio there. Personally I'd not take mine as it's not that well suited to riding in PI, to big, too hot especially sitting in traffic, and most of the riding is slower paced, say 40- 45 mph, 55+ for only brief periods and only outside the metro areas with clear traffic and suitable road conditions. Most of my riding has been down in the Visayas region on Cebu and Negros. I've been up in Luzon and Manila, don't care for it much, though I really want to visit the city of Vigan, pretty cool place, but way up north.

I'd rather have a 250-450 sized ADV or Dual Sport type bike myself. It will be much better suited to the roads and riding conditions.

Most of the time we go over we borrow a bike from one of my Wife's brothers to ride while we're there. But if we ever go over for an extended time I'll buy a bike there.

Bottler

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 04:39:25 AM »
Thanks for that, I am considering buying a bike up there, just looking at the numbers

Cheers

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 07:02:03 AM »
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline vf84pc

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 09:50:54 PM »
I lived in Manila (Taugig City) for several years. The import taxes will be Pricey, if you take the bike in through Subic bay you can beat the taxes but it is only allowed in the "Duty free zone" if you have any issues when riding outside that zone you will have legal issues. Will you visit before you move? I can send you to some people who will help you out with what you need to do.

Bottler

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2016, 05:02:13 AM »
After a few months of fart arsing around my Stelvio was delivered to my home today in Manila, The Philippines from Bungendore, Australia. This was after sitting on the docks in Singapore for a month and a few other issues. Anyway, the half a dozen delivery guys got the bike out of the crate and wrestled it off the truck and down to ground level without damage. It is a good thing labour is cheap here. I checked the bike thoroughly, no damage obvious.

As I had dropped the bike off at the shipper's facility in Australia in late June I thought the battery would be as flat as. Anyway, I put the key in, turned it and that reassuring set of coloured lights went around the dash. Hit the starter and yes, after 106 days in a big wooden box, the Stelvio fired up first time. Hopefully I'll get out on Saturday for a shake down cruise somewhere up north central Luzon.

I'll post some photos when I figure out how!

Cheers

Bottler :copcar:

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2016, 05:42:52 AM »
wow, well done!

and it was at my backyard for a month!
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Bottler

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2016, 10:51:28 PM »
Yesterday I rode the Stelvio from Manila up to the mountain city of Baguio, a traditional hill resort in The Philippines where the well off would go to get away from the heat of summer. It was also a major US military base up to the Japanese occupation in WW2, a trip of about 300 kms from Manila.

After discovering an oil leak at my first fuel stop, fixed by a couple of local mechanics who shortened the hose that delivers oil to top of engine, as it was frayed at the end, and replaced the faulty clamp, off I went. They fixed it for about $10.

Anyway I travelled all day in rain, through roadworks, errant livestock, and police checks and got into Baguio around 4pm. As I hadn't been on a bike for almost four months my rear end sure complained. A few beers and all was well. The Stelvio didn't miss a beat over road conditions that included tar, rocks, gravel, dirt and having to ride through two waterfalls. Yes on the road up the mountain two waterfalls fall straight from the cliff onto the road. That was a first for me.

My plan was to return to Manila today, however Typhoon Karen has other ideas, winds from 130-180 kph, plenty of rain causing landslides and at least five people dead from flying debris and drownings. So it is another night in a comfortable local hotel and according to the weather forecast the typhoon will be in the West Philippine Sea this evening. I will attempt the return to Manila in the morning.

Cheers

Bottler :copcar:

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2016, 11:46:07 PM »
To start with congrats on getting the bike there :thumb:

Be safe in the storm, take a extra day as needed.

With all the talk of import taxes.....Umm.... if you can say it on the internet (be safe).......Ummm how bad was it price wise?

And do send pics, the wife and I love pics from other places!!

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Bottler

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2016, 12:37:27 AM »
Hi Tom

There is an import duty of 30% on vehicle imports plus some Customs fees but those duties are waived due to my employment status.  I had to pay for the storage, shipping and delivery costs, still substantial, but it could have been a whole lot more. The Stelvio is great on the open roads but not fun going through the traffic in the cities and larger provincial towns. This is a fascinating country to tour around, I think it would be best to rent a bike here if on a short visit, or buy one locally if you plan to be here awhile.
I have seen several big bikes here, Ducatis, HD, BMW 1200 GS, Triumphs and Japanese makes, typically they take to the highways on Sunday mornings when traffic is usually light.

Latest update on the typhoon is that it should be gone early tonight, but right now it is massive.

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2016, 12:46:17 AM »
Glad to hear it didn't cost the arm and a leg to get to ride it there!!

Sounds like it's fun to ride on the open roads. Maybe time to buy a beater to do the city commute?

Have fun, be careful and post pics!
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Bottler

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2016, 04:01:36 AM »
Mate I am lucky enough to get a car and driver for the city commute, the Stelvio is pure self indulgence!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2016, 08:29:20 AM »
Good on you, getting it all done.

Having read your excellent report on "how it went", and especially after reading it, I'm pretty sure that if I were in your situation myself in future, I'd leave the Stelvio sleeping at home and buy a Chinese or other locally-sourced 175 or 250 and Go Native like everyone else buzzing around the roads!

Be careful ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2016, 10:29:24 AM »
Bottler,

Glad your plan succeeded, always some satisfaction in getting things done the way you wanted.

Dean,
Thanks for the Vigan video, interesting history.

Bottler

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2016, 01:52:53 AM »
Got back to Manila this afternoon, all good. The road from Baguio down to Urdaneta, the Marcos Hwy, was sensational. Excellent pavement, wonderful curves with great camber and sensational views out over the South China/West Philippine Sea (call it what you will). Then I found about 160 kms of largely empty freeway so shook the cobwebs out big time.

I agree Lannis, a smaller machine is way more logical however I found the Stelvio really good in all applications except the Manila traffic. And in any case I already left one bike back home in Australia. I reckon the new Stornello would be ideal here, or anywhere else for that matter! Perhaps I could get the local Piaggio dealer to do a swap?

Cheers

Bottler

Offline vf84pc

• Hatchling
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2016, 02:21:57 AM »
Make sure to visit the "Handle Bar and Grill in Makati it is the home of the "Mad Dog" motorcycle club. They operate it as a bar/restaurant. Good guys in the club and it is a fun place to have a Beer.

http://handlebar.com.ph/contactus.htm

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here