Author Topic: How do you listen to music when riding?  (Read 13223 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
How do you listen to music when riding?
« on: February 13, 2016, 10:19:54 AM »
On my last ride, my ears were unhappy with elevation changes and earbuds.  What's a good way to listen to music safely? 

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
Re: How do you listen to music when riding?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 10:39:53 AM »
I haven't been able to do so before, but I have a new helmet coming along with a bluetooth/radio system specially made for the helmet. It has flat speakers that attach to cutouts in the helmet, under the lining. I have no idea if I will actually be able to hear anything over the roar of traffic, wind, and engine...

Even my new BMW 228xi is loud as heck at speed (darn run-flat tires, I think). It is almost impossible to listen to music on some roads.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 10:40:03 AM »
In my opinion, it's not safe to listen to music while riding at all.  I think it's safer to listen to all the sounds of riding and the traffic around me than to listen to music, so I don't try.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 10:58:08 AM »
 I just sign along with the voices in my head.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 10:58:08 AM »

Online Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 11:15:05 AM »
I got a bluetooth unit two years ago as a christmas gift and thought Id never really use it but now can't imagine not having one and play music every time I ride. I have it connected to my I- phone and use Pandora, I-pod and just added an XM app thats just friggin awesome. To me its no different than driving my car without music and I don't find it distracting at all, I wear earplugs and can hear it and traffic noises just fine.

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 11:17:17 AM »
In my opinion, it's not safe to listen to music while riding at all.  I think it's safer to listen to all the sounds of riding and the traffic around me than to listen to music, so I don't try.

:1:  This.  Though when I'm on an empty road, I will sing to myself.  Poorly.
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline bsanut

• Hatchling
    • Eurotrash Jambalaya
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 11:30:14 AM »
Music is not for motorcycles.  Isn't there already enough sensory input?

I have a Victory so I get all their promos.  Their latest thing is the 'Magnum' edition with 10-speaker Wowza Blowout Sound, or whatever they call it.  Every time I see one of these ape-hanger Harley guys sitting at a stoplight, playing Lynerd Skynerd louder than their straight pipes, I shake my head.

Next it will be factory disco balls.  Jesus.

Joe
Joe Carter

Eurotrash Jambalaya

2017 V9 Bobber
2014 California Custom (sold)
2009 Stelvio (sold)
2002 EV11 (sold)
1983 California II (sold)
1974 Nuovo Falcone (sold)
2007 Griso (sold)

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 11:34:33 AM »
Music is not for motorcycles.  Isn't there already enough sensory input?

I have a Victory so I get all their promos.  Their latest thing is the 'Magnum' edition with 10-speaker Wowza Blowout Sound, or whatever they call it.  Every time I see one of these ape-hanger Harley guys sitting at a stoplight, playing Lynerd Skynerd louder than their straight pipes, I shake my head.

Next it will be factory disco balls.  Jesus.

Joe

Indeed, I ride bikes for the experience of riding and for me the sounds are a big part of that.

I do listen to music in the car though...

Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 11:36:02 AM »
 Vince , apparently playing music on a motorbike will cause your brain to melt , or worse  :rolleyes:

No idea how to answer your question , but plenty of times traveling across the plains I have considered how to equip the bike with music .

Dusty

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 11:42:57 AM »
I am not a safety Nazi. I will step on the top of a step ladder, and I will ride my Vespa out in the country in shorts and a T-shirt...

If you want to listen to music while riding, go for it. I plan to do so.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

canuguzzi

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 11:45:09 AM »
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=80621.0;nowap  Pictures

If it isn't safe to listen to music while riding a bike  it isn't safe while driving a car. Inside a car you are even more isolated from what is going on outside so the logic of it not being safe while riding is proved how?

Really, riding a motorcycle and safety because of music is the concern? You don't hear the car that hits you and if you do, it's probably too late.

Granted, if you blast the music so loud that you can't hear anything else, that is another story.

Just how is it safe to listen to music or the radio in a car, talk to passengers but with a bike it is a no-no?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 11:50:35 AM by Norge Pilot »

HardAspie

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 11:46:11 AM »
:1:  This.  Though when I'm on an empty road, I will sing to myself.  Poorly.

That is how I have always done it. And years of coughing horridly and sneezes that sound like Miss Piggy whomping someone have left me with but three notes. None of those three are ever the right ones.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 11:46:58 AM »
I listen to the bike with my ears.  :boozing:

The last thing I want is music on the Guzzi.  :evil:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 11:49:56 AM by Cool Runnings »

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 11:49:35 AM »
I am not a safety Nazi. I will step on the top of a step ladder, and I will ride my Vespa out in the country in shorts and a T-shirt...

If you want to listen to music while riding, go for it. I plan to do so.

lol - most of my riding has been on the Vespa with sandals, swimsuit and sunglasses along with a towel for a swimming.  :boozing:

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 11:56:07 AM »
I love music..and are a bit of a musician myself...
but i never listen to music while riding , it for me would be to distracting and i prefer the music of what the ride provides instead
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 11:59:27 AM »
Silicone ear plugs, about a 20 to 25 NRR, with a Sena SMH10.  Wife and sons have Senas also.  Listening to my playlists when riding ("Bad Girlfriend" and "Cyanide Sweet Tooth Suicide" really help with my speed through the Ozarks) and being able to talk to those on other bikes improve the experience for me.

Oh, and being able to text and phone calls bonus!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 12:01:37 PM by Darren Williams »
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

canuguzzi

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 12:17:47 PM »
Music and communications add to motorcycling experiences, it doesn't have to detract from them. As with all things, some like it, some do not. Those that like it probably won't convince those that don't it is ok and vice versa.

It can be helpful though, if you have GPS to hear directions or hear road closures and weather alerts.

If you like earbuds, try the MPOW bluetooth transmitter. It turned wired earbuds into bluetooth capable. The bluetooth earbuds all seem to be very bulky. The MPOW device lets you use your favorite earbuds with any bluetooth music or radio source.

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 12:24:24 PM »
 SHOULDN'T! Period. Stay focused & enjoy the ride. For 50 years the wind, engine & my thoughts have kept me happy, solved more issues, cured more kinks than just about anything else. Had 1 radio on 1 Vettered Gold Wing in 1980 for about 6 mos before selling the Vetter off the GL. You simply CANNOT process Utah, the PCH, Blueridge Pkwy, Natches Trace w/the original sections of path alongside, Going to The Sun Hwy, loneliest hwy in Nv w/ the remnants of pony express & stage coach stations in YOUR own way while distracted.  WHY get on a m/c or fish on the end of a pier & take the world with you? IMO, I will never understand the reasons for doing so. :smiley:

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 12:30:35 PM »

I do listen music while riding. UClear HBC200 is what I use, good sound and it does not distract me.
To listen music 8 hours nonstop is not my thing, but I switch music on and off every hour or so. Keeps me entertained.
I know men can do only one thing at a time, so you guys may be right...

Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 12:40:01 PM »
Egad!  Not safe?  Wow.

I love listening to music while on the bike.  And I like having an intercom when riding with someone else.  MUCH SAFER than waving arms and passing a buddy just to try to get him to stop for gas.

I will continue to listen to music, and take a phone call every now and then while you guys do your own thing.

I suppose that ALL of you who think music is not safe also do not have a GPS or a map on your tank bag.  Those are much more distracting than music.

And a passenger is more distracting than any of the above :D

PS my method is to use a bluetooth headset in the helmet.  My current and favorite is the UClear.  But, a Sena would be my second choice, especially if bike to bike comm is important.  Also, you can splice in a better pair of speakers with any of the others (UClear have the microphone in the speakers so  higher quality upgrades are not feasible)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 12:43:16 PM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 12:42:39 PM »
I do listen music while riding. UClear HBC200 is what I use, good sound and it does not distract me.
To listen music 8 hours nonstop is not my thing, but I switch music on and off every hour or so. Keeps me entertained.
I know men can do only one thing at a time, so you guys may be right...

Cool thing about the Senas and UClears are you can easily turn the music/communications off if you start thinking you don't need to be hearing the other input.  Being able to talk bike to bike with traveling companions, especially when navigating through busy towns with multiple turns or like when we were on Colorado 141 last summer being able to tell my wife 1/8 mile behind that there is a sand wash crossing the road in a curve.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

canuguzzi

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 12:46:25 PM »
Egad!  Not safe?  Wow.

I love listening to music while on the bike.  And I like having an intercom when riding with someone else.  MUCH SAFER than waving arms and passing a buddy just to try to get him to stop for gas.

I will continue to listen to music, and take a phone call every now and then while you guys do your own thing.

I suppose that ALL of you who think music is not safe also do not have a GPS or a map on your tank bag.  Those are much more distracting than music.

And a passenger is more distracting than any of the above :D

PS my method is to use a bluetooth headset in the helmet.  My current and favorite is the UClear.  But, a Sena would be my second choice, especially if bike to bike comm is important.  Also, you can splice in a better pair of speakers with any of the others (UClear have the microphone in the speakers so  higher quality upgrades are not feasible)

:1: :thumb:

Seem to remember the OP asking how people listen to music, not asking if it was safe or how not do to it. :rolleyes:

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 12:57:31 PM »

I concur. I used to listen but stopped because of the influence the tempo of the music had on my throttle hand. My partner listens to music and has had a couple of mishaps, mechanical and traffic that bit him.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Online slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 12:57:48 PM »
I also do not listen to music while riding . I want all my senses engaged and try and stay focused on the entire experience.Possibly because I've become a careful old man.The brother-in-law rides a Voyager with 8 speakers and cruises around oblivious to everything. He's also had a couple of avoidable accidents.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:03:00 PM by slowmover »

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 01:00:25 PM »
You're correct NP. To be more specific; I listen in the garage, car, & the house. GPS? Love it in urban environments locating an address. Elsewhere, like one journalist who's name I can't recall stated "diminishes the adventure dispite it's occasionall advantages." I don't need anyone/thing telling me what to do. :smiley:

Offline TodkaVonic

• Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 01:01:24 PM »
what an interesting topic.

I don't listen to music whilst riding. I've tried it in the past with a rather fancy set of Bluetooth earbuds (now relegated to lawn-mowing duties) and found that the music, even stuff I really like, actually detracted from the experience of the ride. Hear me out: part of the purpose of a ride, for me, is to be alone with my thoughts and to be detached from society and all of the obligations of work and life. It's all I'm doing and it's all I CAN do. No texts. No calls. No pages. No arguments. No responsibilities. Just me and my thoughts. With the increasing connectivity of all things, isn't it amazing to not be connected? It's the most relaxing several hours I'll have all day or maybe all week. And music, even my favorite stuff, and I'm totally a music guy, will only sully the event.

But that's me. I totally get how someone could really enjoy music while they ride and I think that the safety concerns are overblown.

As an aside, I use earplugs regularly and highly recommend them; if got nothing else than to protect your hearing even if wearing a full helmet. You take away most of the noise and strange things happen: Smells smell more. Thoughts are louder. The road passes by and riding starts to feel a bit like flying. It's the best.
2021 BMW R18 First Edition
2006 Ducati Sport Classic Paul Smart
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador

Offline TodkaVonic

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 01:07:19 PM »
:1: :thumb:

Seem to remember the OP asking how people listen to music, not asking if it was safe or how not do to it. :rolleyes:

Good point.
When I did do it, I used Bluetooth earbuds.
Pos: no wires.
Neg: limited battery life.
2021 BMW R18 First Edition
2006 Ducati Sport Classic Paul Smart
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 01:12:24 PM »

I can't speak for the others, but I stop to look at maps and/or GPS, and intentionally don't keep them in view while I'm riding.  I had a fairly bad crash when I was about 20 that was the result of looking in my mirror for a couple seconds, and now a loud alarm goes off in my head if anything starts to take my attention away from what's in front of and around me.

I Seem to remember the OP asking how people listen to music, not asking if it was safe or how not do to it. :rolleyes:

He actually asked "What's a good way to listen to music safely?".  If some of us believe it's not safe, it seems OK that we said so.  As you said above, "As with all things, some like it, some do not. Those that like it probably won't convince those that don't it is ok and vice versa."  That was well stated.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2016, 02:04:46 PM »
My ears are stuffed full of foam earplugs when I ride, so no music.

I too though sing (badly) to myself.  Thinking about it though, I only tend to do that when the roads are pretty straight/little traffic. Lotsa corners and I am all concentration.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2016, 02:21:41 PM »
I get enough pleasure listening to the sound of the dual exhaust.  Some times I wonder what it would sound like if it has a cross over pipe?  Don't need music, the Guzzi makes it's own.
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here