Author Topic: Need motorcycle trailer buying advise  (Read 4527 times)

Offline BMWDavid

• Hatchling
Need motorcycle trailer buying advise
« on: February 13, 2016, 11:55:45 AM »
I'm looking to buy an enclosed 6X10 single bike trailer with ramp door to haul my bike(s). Lots of options out there. Would prefer used to be frugal. But still want a decent unit.

Anyone have advise for what brand to go after? Is it reasonable to say I could get a nice used trailer for under $2000.00? I have lots of trailering experience with trailers but I've always rented or borrowed the trailer...want my own for convenience.

Thanks!

2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
2003 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
2005 Honda XR650L
2007 Buell XB12Ss
2014 Yamaha FJR 1300es
Southwest Indiana

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
Re: Need motorcycle trailer buying advise
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 12:52:59 PM »
How you are going to use it and what you are going to pull it with makes a big difference in what you want.  Good that you are asking for advice, of which I don't have any brand experience, but can tell you the super solid, well built horse trailer we had was rock solid but weighed a lot and I really needed more truck to pull it easily.

Put in some details of your intended use and make a list of what is most important to you based on the responses you get. Hint, the guys on this site may have much more experience riding than trailering!  ; )
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline BMWDavid

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 01:02:06 PM »
How you are going to use it and what you are going to pull it with makes a big difference in what you want.  Good that you are asking for advice, of which I don't have any brand experience, but can tell you the super solid, well built horse trailer we had was rock solid but weighed a lot and I really needed more truck to pull it easily.

Put in some details of your intended use and make a list of what is most important to you based on the responses you get. Hint, the guys on this site may have much more experience riding than trailering!  ; )

OK, going to pull it behind my Nissan Murano. Rated for 3500# towing. I figure the trailer at 1200# and my FJR is 675#. So a max of almost 2000#. Well within what the Murano is rated for. Just want to take a bike to destination that are further away that I want to ride to. At this point I'd rather trailer the bike the 300-400 or more miles to the riding destination (such as Deals Gap...etc.) and then ride the bike once there. Never been one to ride all day, day after day to get somewhere. I know that's a lot of enjoyment for many...I just never preferred to ride that way.

In any case I want to partake of all the interesting areas this country has but would rather trailer there and then do the riding upon arrival.

2005 Honda XR650L
2007 Buell XB12Ss
2014 Yamaha FJR 1300es
Southwest Indiana

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 01:35:03 PM »
Unless you are really set on enclosed, you may find an open trailer better suited for your needs.  I believe your Murano has a CVT transmission.  With the height and weight of the trailer, it will be a load to pull even though well below the rated max.  My Land Rover Discovery has a tow weight of 5000lbs and with an enclosed trailer it really sucks the gas.  Actually, it really sucks gas all the time.  Just worse with the drag of the trailer.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 01:35:03 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 03:08:45 PM »
I have a 5X7 aluminum V nose trailer, and it's big enough to haul any bike. A friend borrowed it to tow his Hawg to the Carolinas without issue. Easy to tow. I've pulled it with a Vibe, but I wouldn't recommend that.

Edit:
Why am I keeping mine? I use the Transit whenever we travel with the bike any more, that way we can pull the camper.
Buy mine. You'll be glad you did.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 03:11:39 PM by Chuck in Indiana »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 03:56:39 PM »
Trailers are for boats! :laugh:
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline BMWDavid

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 06:46:15 PM »
I have a 5X7 aluminum V nose trailer, and it's big enough to haul any bike. A friend borrowed it to tow his Hawg to the Carolinas without issue. Easy to tow. I've pulled it with a Vibe, but I wouldn't recommend that.

Edit:
Why am I keeping mine? I use the Transit whenever we travel with the bike any more, that way we can pull the camper.
Buy mine. You'll be glad you did.  :smiley:

PM sent
2005 Honda XR650L
2007 Buell XB12Ss
2014 Yamaha FJR 1300es
Southwest Indiana

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 07:29:39 PM »
Chuck's is a great idea.  With that said I'll offer my 50+ years of experience pulling and owning small trailers.  You want the largest diameter wheels possible.  I can't count the times I have passed trailers that are on the side of the road with a wheel missing.  They are the ones with tiny wheels and have spun a bearing because the wheels have to spin so fast and the owner neglected to grease the bearings.  Boat trailers seem to be the worst.  Next, wind resistance will kill you.  I pulled my brother's all aluminum 6X10 trailer out to North Dakota to pick up a bike.  Empty that trailer still cut my gas mileage a bunch due to the large rear ramp that caught the wind.  I think I lost 6-7 mpg pulling that trailer.  For a while I had a 6X10 enclosed trailer and I was delighted to sell that sucker, not nearly as useful as a non enclosed one.
    My all steel 5X8 trailer is probably 500 lbs heavier than the aluminum one but has much less drag.  Finally, an enclosed trailer limits what you can do with it.  Try hauling mulch in an enclosed trailer.  My utility trailer is one I had built in about 1998.  It has 24" sides made of 1" square tube so I can bolt in plywood sides and haul mulch or other loose stuff.  Take the plywood sides out and bolt in a couple chocks...haul two bikes.  In the meantime I have moved countless friends and relatives, hauled wrought iron fences, moved a riding lawn mower 700 miles, and even moved a 2,000 pound Bridgeport mill. 
     A good trailer is something I would see as an investment.  Mine has paid for itself time and time again.  Get the best you can find...not the largest...the best built.  Look for a 3,500# axle, 16" wheels, 2" ball, and LED lights.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 10:09:39 PM »
Add one more for open. Actually, I always rent from UHaul. Their dedicated ramp motorcycle trailers are phenomenal. Very rugged, large wheels, and tow like a magic carpet. At only $15 a day- why wouldn't you?
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 11:08:19 PM »
I have no where to put a trailer....except a Kendon that I can fold up against the wall in the garage.  I recently hauled a 900lb Wing on it to AZ with the cruise set at 80 mph.  No problems.  Yes, the bike got dirty...nothing a little soap and water did not fix.

Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline BMWDavid

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 07:26:36 AM »
The open vs. enclosed debate is interesting. For my needs I really want to go the enclosed route. Just want the security and ability to tow bike in any weather without it being exposed. One of the things I plan on doing in the near future (next winter?) is to head off south-southwest to go riding in the middle of winter. Would not want to expose bike to hundreds of miles of salt spray on an open trailer.

The decrease in gas mileage while towing is what it is. Part of the deal.Fortunately storage of trailer when not in use will not be an issue. Anyway...thanks to all for their very helpful insight so far.

2005 Honda XR650L
2007 Buell XB12Ss
2014 Yamaha FJR 1300es
Southwest Indiana

Offline maquette

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 09:10:34 AM »
I have both an open and enclosed and use both. The enclosed is a 6x12 Haulmark that I've had for many, many years. What I like about the enclosed is that I can haul my smaller dual sport some distance, stay in a nice campground and ride the bike anywhere I want. I built a bench across the front and added a microwave and fridge. An electrical outlet or two, a fold out cot and I'm good to go. You can make it as fancy, or as plain inside as you want, depending on your intended uses.

I use the open 6x10 to haul the sidecar rig in when necessary and for all the other things that one needs a trailer for. Most of the time they sit, but with attention to the wheel bearings and covering the tires from the sun, they can last a long time.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:11:24 AM by maquette »
Tom
Oriental, NC

'98 V11 EV

Offline TodkaVonic

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 09:17:04 AM »
I have no where to put a trailer....except a Kendon that I can fold up against the wall in the garage.  I recently hauled a 900lb Wing on it to AZ with the cruise set at 80 mph.  No problems.  Yes, the bike got dirty...nothing a little soap and water did not fix.

I've thought about this option for years, and you definitely picked the Cadillac of foldable trailers.  I just can't justify the price though. Kinda wish I could. In the mean time, I've been uhauling as needed. Maybe some day I'll luck out and one of my neighbors will follow your example?
2021 BMW R18 First Edition
2006 Ducati Sport Classic Paul Smart
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 09:38:25 AM »
I've thought about this option for years, and you definitely picked the Cadillac of foldable trailers.  I just can't justify the price though. Kinda wish I could.

I've seen used ones selling in the Wash., DC area for as little as $750 for a single rail up to $1500 for a two rail. 
Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 10:25:38 AM »
Finally broke into the garage (lock was frozen) and took some pix. Sent you a PM David.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 11:17:10 AM »
If your Nissan is over 10 years old do not tow anything with it.
The gearbox is notoriously soft, impossible to repair and hideously expensive to replace. The Guzzi valve wear issue is insignificant by comparison.
Because of your US lemon laws luckily you get 10 year warranty on Nissan auto boxes. In UK it's only 3.

(Personal experience with Nissan Jatco CVT failure)

If your gearbox is still in warranty with over 20K on it, you probably know what your doing, an unaerodynamic box trailer I just what's required.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here