Author Topic: A clutch puzzle...  (Read 1600 times)

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
A clutch puzzle...
« on: July 01, 2016, 11:28:28 PM »
Now, I'll start by saying I know I need to replace the Norge's clutch slave - no complaints, it's lasted over 113,000 miles and problems have only become noticeable in the last 10,000 or so. I've been putting it off since I should also likely replace the clutch plates and associated hardware, and who wants to dig in there twice if once will do?

In the meantime, I've noticed a rather odd behavior. While here in Las Vegas, whether during last winter or the heat we have now, the slave has not been leaking, and the feel of the clutch grip is normal. Even when I do a long ride, I have not noticed a significant problem with the clutch feel or fluid level. However, when I do a long ride and stop in a somewhat cooler climate (doesn't have to be much, but in in John Day it was noticeably cooler) the clutch slave starts leaking, fluid level drops, and both feel and clutch release go away in a hurry.

The fluid was topped up in John Day - I rode back to Las Vegas, and while there were drips on the garage floor after the ride, the clutch has been good ever since. No further drips, feel and release are normal, and so on. I call on the collective Guzzi wisdom to explain this bizarre phenomenon.

Oh, and if there's a way to get in there and replace that slave unit (or even just do a fluid flush) without halfway pulling the drivetrain from the bike, please let me know - I don't want to do the rest of the clutch work quite yet!
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

pete roper

Re: A clutch puzzle...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 11:35:54 PM »
Well bleeding is super easy due to the remote bleeder. That's what the braided hose under the seat with a bleed nipple on it is for. As for the slave? Drop the swingarm off, (When did you last grease the shock linkage and SA bearings?) and the slave is right there in front of you. Easy-Peasy.

Pete

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 12:21:58 AM »
Well bleeding is super easy due to the remote bleeder. That's what the braided hose under the seat with a bleed nipple on it is for. As for the slave? Drop the swingarm off, (When did you last grease the shock linkage and SA bearings?) and the slave is right there in front of you. Easy-Peasy.

Pete

The shock parts were lubed a while back (exactly when, I can't recall, but it has been done from time to time). It's been a while longer for the swingarm.

As for the remote bleed line, I always wondered what that line was for - since I never saw it on the parts diagrams! And they even gave it a little cubbyhole to live in on the battery cover... Thanks!

Any idea on the funny behavior of start and stop leakage/soft feel?

At least I know how I'll spend part of Saturday...
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 11:25:12 PM »
So does your Norge have a hydraulic clutch lever?  (no such thing as a stupid ?)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 11:25:12 PM »

Offline TobyJug

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 12:22:41 AM »
Rather than the change in temperature - could it be the change in humidity?

2014 Norge GT 8V

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 12:58:52 PM »
So does your Norge have a hydraulic clutch lever?  (no such thing as a stupid ?)

Yes, all modern CARCs use hydraulic clutches. The levers are aluminum, though  :evil:
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 01:01:29 PM »
Rather than the change in temperature - could it be the change in humidity?

Possible, but this past week in Las Vegas has been full of thunderstorms - so that possibility is less likely  :huh:

Our humidity has been uncharacteristicall y 'normal' rather than our usual state of defining the word 'arid'.
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here