Author Topic: REBUILT ECUs FOR GUZZIS  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
REBUILT ECUs FOR GUZZIS
« on: September 18, 2018, 02:59:25 PM »
Last year's "Service" warning has again appeared on the dash of my '13 Stelvio NTX.  Although last November Lola was returned to me "fixed," the service technicians at MI could not find the cause of the malfunction. The only thing they did not do was replace the ECU.  So, that is the next alternative.

After a parts search, ECUs are no longer available from Piaggio. However, Chris at MI told me he saw on an internet forum some info about an outfit filling the void by selling rebuilt Moto Guzzi ECUs.

Can anybody steer me to this forum or business?

Spud

'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline mphcycles

• Gaggle Hero
Re: REBUILT ECUs FOR GUZZIS
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 03:23:01 PM »
The 5m ecu can be reflashed with Guzzi diag, so any used ecu can be erased and rewritten with the map in yours now, or a better one from Mark at griso.org
Mike Haven
MPH Cycles
16510 Park Row
Houston, Texas 77084
832 557 7214
www.mphcycles.com
 (Please just email me ,  I dont PM)

pete roper

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 08:04:32 PM »
Also there are a lot of other W5AM ECU's that can be used from other bikes. Paul compiled a list a couple of years back but I seem to have mislaid it. Ducati 1098's of certain types were one of them I think? From memory the HW number was the important thing. Obviously they will need reflashing for use in a W5AM Guzzi but they are far more plentiful than Guzzi ECU's, especially as Ducati sold a lot of 'Race' ECU's and owners try to amortise the cost by selling their 'Cooking' ECU.

As for your problem being ECU related I have to say I'm a bit skeptical. Usually if an ECU goes tits you just get the 'ECU Unplugged' icon on the dash and in that case, if you're lucky it will be the earth strap off the ECU being loose or broken and if you're lucky reconnecting it or cleaning it will solve the problem but frequently that is a death knell.

A simple 'Service' warning should enable the culprit to be isolated by using Guzzidiag or the OBD to find an error code. If that fails but the bike still runs it is more likely to be the dash than the ECU but since dash failures on Stelvios/Grisos/Bellagios are rare this wouldn't be my first line of attack.

Pete

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »
The 5m ecu can be reflashed with Guzzi diag, so any used ecu can be erased and rewritten with the map in yours now, or a better one from Mark at griso.org

Beetle here on WG .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »

beetle

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 09:29:28 PM »
5AM needs to be hardware version HW610. I've seen them from Ducatis on eBay quite cheap. Probably cheaper than a rebuilt one.

I agree with Pete. If it's still running, unlikely to be the ECU.

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 09:43:44 PM »
 How are you feeling Mark ? Cute emo  :laugh:

Dusty

beetle

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 01:02:24 AM »
That's me. Huffing & puffing on crutches. I'm too old for this. Crashing is a young bouncy person's game.

I hurt, by the way.  :laugh:

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 07:12:46 AM »
 ^^^Can't say crashing was much fun 40 years ago either Mark  :grin: At least the wreck didn't break your sense of humor  :bow:

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 07:47:39 AM »
Slightly off topic, but I've also rewritten ducati 15m ecus for my Jackal.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here