Author Topic: Cal III to EV1100 wheel swap?  (Read 4949 times)

Offline wguntz

• New Egg
Cal III to EV1100 wheel swap?
« on: April 27, 2017, 04:05:33 PM »
Does anyone know if the tubeless cast wheels from a '90 California III would swap to an '02 California Special Sport  to replace the tube steel spoked wheels?(I would love to have tubeless rims, and happen to have a nice pair of Cal III wheels complete).  Disregard esthetics.

Thanks!
Wayne

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Cal III to EV1100 wheel swap?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 08:34:29 PM »
I put Lesters from a '77 convert in EV forks so sure, you can do that.  Up front you need axle spacers to center the wheel, brake rotors with the correct offset and the ability to center the calipers.

Ditto in the rear, but the axle spacer = wheel spacer.

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 08:44:25 PM »
Different Brake rotor and brembo gold calipers on special sport.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 06:53:29 PM »
I have used EV tubeless wheels on my '76 Convert, Lesters on my EV, and snowflakes on a Jackal.  (notice I'm always moving to tubeless from tubes).  Front wheels are easier to convert than rears, because while you can adapt almost anything to a spool axle, you need an actual Guzzi wheel for the driven rear.  Because of the set rear caliper mount, you also need to make the fit by modifying the rear rotor and carrier for offset and diameter.  So while it can be done, you need to do your homework first to decide if the hassle is worth it.  Personally, I think it is.

You aren't married to the Brembo brakes, either.  With a spacer/adapter you can chuck up many different brands and types of calipers.  I'm currently running Tokico calipers against Honda rotors on a Lester mag with a Nissan master cylinder and linked brake system.  The trike has Lesters all the way 'round with Ford disks on the rear and the dual Honda disks on the front.  The Honda rotors were needed to get the 320mm diameter I wanted in an offset I could match to spacers to fit the Unit leading link fork and still clear the spokes with the caliper.  That's to illustrate that the mod sometimes requires different hub spacers, axle spacers, and rotors to make the fit, but fit it does. 

It took some time to really get the combination correct, but Sat night I did a full panic stop from 50mph when I got distracted on a freeway off ramp and found myself facing a hard 90º right turn marked 10mph, ending at an arterial intersection.  It was backstopped with a 6" curb and well marked by the tires and debris of others in my situation.  I reacted with all the brakes I could muster, and got a satisfying haul-down with all three wheels finally locking when the speed had bled off.  The squeal was smooth sounding and the front end did not dive or hop.  In much less time than it takes to tell the tale, I was off the brakes and into that 90º turn as though I'd meant to do it that way.  I glanced behind me and could see the three tire marks.  The offset and even lengths told me all three brakes were working together evenly.

My point is that it takes some fitting, but any swap is possible, and the results can be effective and safe.  I'm willing to put in the effort to get away from 40 wire spokes and tubes.  Done right, I don't see a downside.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 06:53:29 PM »

Offline Lesman

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 11:45:47 AM »
Does the Cal111 rims have safety beads? if so , convert to tubeless. Cost is about $20+/- per rim . I converted a Quota front rim 5 years ago. Works great. I run a Cali tubeless wheel on the back.
If you use the most anal method on converting the rim . It takes 72 hours to for setup. Less anal method is around 24 hours to setup. Total time involved is around 4 hours for the rigorous method.  The lesser method is a couple hours.
It's really easy,just boring.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here