Author Topic: Love affair with in-line Japanese fours  (Read 17211 times)

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Love affair with in-line Japanese fours
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2017, 02:16:46 PM »
As long as the valve is fully closed and the cam is positioned where the circle of the lobe is round, ie the same radius as the bottom of the circle then the valve doesnt care. The clearance will be the same if the tip of the lobe is pointing at 11, 12 (the bottom of the lobe) or 1 o'clock. It doesnt matter.
Shadetree shortcut.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2017, 02:42:32 PM »
I'm reading that the sweet spot for adjusting the valves is very wide on that bike and if the timing marks are not "just so" it's still OK, as long as you're close.

Something that attracts folks to the Guzzi brand is also present with the CB1100 even though they are pretty much apples and oranges. For me, the CB1100 looks like a proper motorcycle (there are other buttons it pushes) and does not attempt to look like a transformer or crotch rocket. I guess it looks like an honest motorcycle (which is not based on reality really but there you go).
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2017, 02:51:16 PM »
QUOTEFor me, the CB1100 looks like a proper motorcycle (there are other buttons it pushes) and does not attempt to look like a transformer or crotch rocket. I guess it looks like an honest motorcycle (which is not based on reality really but there you go).

In summary, the term is "UJM" (Universal Japanese Motorcycle), and the Honda CB1100 (IMHO), dollar for dollar, is one of the hottest UJM's on the market today! :thumb: :cool: :1:

image hosting sites
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2017, 03:27:28 PM »
JJ - in regards to your most recent post ...................

In summary, the term is "UJM" (Universal Japanese Motorcycle), and the Honda CB1100 (IMHO), dollar for dollar, is one of the hottest UJM's on the market today! :thumb: :cool: :1:

I'll know first hand first couple of dry/warm days later this winter/early spring.  Just closed the deal on a leftover 2014 on the phone this afternoon.  Check will be in the mail tomorrow morning.  Looking forward to the ride home from Clarksburg WV to Hudson OH.  Already thinking about taking old US 250 part of the way.

Bob

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:54:40 AM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2017, 03:27:28 PM »

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2017, 07:40:13 PM »
The good news, you have a new bike and a very cool route to ride home one.

The bad news, you have to wait several months to do so.

I envy you, a little bit.  A nice first ride like that is a joy. A new machine, a fuel tank, a crisp sunny day, and the open road before you for you and the machine to get to know each other. Don't get any better than that.

Hope it don't rain.  :evil:
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2017, 08:21:29 PM »
The good news, you have a new bike and a very cool route to ride home one.

The bad news, you have to wait several months to do so.

I envy you, a little bit.  A nice first ride like that is a joy. A new machine, a fuel tank, a crisp sunny day, and the open road before you for you and the machine to get to know each other. Don't get any better than that.

Hope it don't rain.  :evil:
It won't rain .... I won't let it!

Looking forward to riding this Japanese retro home for what is hopefully a long stay in the stable.

Bob

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2017, 09:24:02 PM »
I grew up on Japanese I-4s.   Well, I actually started out with a Yamaha RD350 two stroke twin, and spent a lot of time on a Kawasaki KZ-200 single cylinder.   

But then it was the glorious Japanese I-4s.  First a Honda CB-550F.  Then a Yamaha Seca 550 (a real favorite).  Then a Suzuki GS550E, which I only bought because I read magazines that said the Suzuki 550 was 43 milliseconds faster in the quarter mile than the Seca, so therefore the Seca was now a crap bike.  I still kick myself about that.   

Then on to my dear love.  A red 83 Suzuki GS1100E.   I lived in Fayetteville, Arkansas at the time.  Yeah, I totally owned the road.  Amazing bike.

Much later came a Yamaha FJR1300.  Did not like.   Why?  Because it was like riding a very heavy cast iron camp stove because heavy and hot like a stove.  And buzzy vibrations at higher speeds.

All my I-4s bothered me with their high frequency vibration.   I just figured that was how the world worked.   Also did not like the width of them or the feeling of riding with legs splayed apart. 

What changed for me was getting an old '78 R80/7.  That really turned me on the the idea of a "do anything" twin, narrow at the legs, and no high frequency tingling vibration.  So then I pretty much switched to flat or parallel twins. 

But then came the 90 degree Guzzi.   Bingo!  I'm hooked. 

I confess to experimenting with a Triumph 675 triple.  Jury is still out, but it is an intriguing engine, and I clearly prefer it to an I-4.

Thus while I cut my teeth on I-4s, I don't think I'm going back to them.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:28:36 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2017, 08:48:18 AM »
Loved my xj550 and will have another Yamaha I-4 eventually.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2017, 10:59:45 AM »
I had a Seca 550 too.  I think my Bandit 1200 is just about the same size and weight.   :weiner:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline myway

• Hatchling
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2017, 12:47:30 PM »
I had left my 83 seca xj900 (really an 850 if I remember correctly) out with a pichler fairing. nice bike for sure loved the uptop power band an for it's size it would move. Dan

Offline Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2017, 01:13:12 PM »
Two of my favorite I4's.  Even tho the ELR is now a classic, I still prefer the Suzuki 750.
I just think Suzuki owned the 1980's with their bikes.

Mike

uploadimage
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2017, 01:31:50 PM »
For my Bandit it's pretty easy to to check the cam position on #1: lobes pointed up and then finish valve adjustment with lobes point outward.  And easy twist to crank take side cover off.

Um, if it's ok, can I have that bit again please ?

Offline MAC

• Hatchling
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2017, 02:29:24 PM »
Used have a 1982 CBX carburetor nightmare.

Mike Cignarella
1998 EV
2008 Wing
2015 K1600GT

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2017, 03:01:40 PM »
JJ - in regards to your most recent post ...................

I'll know first hand first couple of dry/warm days later this winter/early spring.  Just closed the deal on a leftover 2014 on the phone this afternoon.  Check will be in the mail tomorrow morning.  Looking forward to the ride home from Clarksburg WV to Hudson OH.  Already thinking about taking old US 250 part of the way.

Bob

Hi Bob - CONGRATS!  I think you will LOVE this bike.  The ride from WV to OH will be reassuring to your purchase! :cool:

A friend in the PHX area has one and I've ridden it. Smooth, capable, and drop-dead reliable.  No matter what other motorcycles you have in your garage...this is the go-to bike when needed. :thumb: :cool: :1:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 04:51:40 PM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2017, 04:24:59 PM »
Um, if it's ok, can I have that bit again please ?

ok, for the Bandit 1200 you can spin the crank with a wrench on the signal generator.  Check the mark on the rotor to match to the cam position (below) to be at TDC.

then you spin it until the cam lobes are pointed up or cam marks outwards (opposed) on #1 side and adjust #1 intake and exhaust, # 2 ex, #3 in.  Then spin it is so the cam marks are facing and adjust #2 in, #3 ex, #4 in and ex.   BTW, 2 separate gaps for each (two intake and two exhausts valve each cylinder). 

Gaps: in = .10 - .15mm;  ex = .18 - .23mm  (so there's lots of slop in the gaps)

The interval is supposed to be 7500 miles but I went over 40k. 

My bike was tight on both #1 intakes and loose for a couple of others.  The remaining 12 valves were a little sloppy but not worth messing with. The valve adjustment is easy as a Guzzi with lockdown adjusters but getting the tank and valve cover and gaskets on and off is a total PIA.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 04:30:32 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2017, 04:29:38 PM »
ok, for the Bandit 1200 you can spin the crank with a wrench on the signal generator.  Check the mark on the rotor to match to the cam position (below) to be at TDC.

then you spin it until the cam lobes are pointed up or cam marks outwards (opposed) on #1 side and adjust #1 intake and exhaust, # 2 ex, #3 in.  Then spin it is so the cam marks are facing and adjust #2 in, #3 ex, #4 in and ex.   BTW, 2 separate gaps for each (two intake and two exhausts valve each cylinder). 

Gaps: in = .10 - .15;  ex = .18 - .23  (so there's lots of slop in the gaps)

Thanks for that.   My head was spinning and my cognitive map of the world was warping, but I'm OK now and will stop with the questions.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2017, 04:37:59 PM »
Thanks for that.   My head was spinning and my cognitive map of the world was warping, but I'm OK now and will stop with the questions.

Lannis

point taken.  Rather than try to explain it, I should have just referred the inquiry over here:

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?action=forum

But I did find that mark trick on the rotor to be a smart idea.  I did the same thing with a magic marker on both my Guzzis, so I could look for the little D & S marks on the fly wheel.  I jut spin it until I am close to the mark and look for the letter to pop up.  (Those little letter SOBs spin faster than a slot machine.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 04:41:30 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2017, 04:46:39 PM »
Yep me too. Clearly you do it your way because you KNOW what you're doing, not because you DON'T know what you're doing. A world of difference, thanks for taking the time.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2017, 04:48:51 PM »
Yep me too. Clearly you do it your way because you KNOW what you're doing, not because you DON'T know what you're doing. A world of difference, thanks for taking the time.

I got it from the Haynes Manual.   :wink:
John L 

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2017, 04:51:17 PM »
I got it from the Haynes Manual.   :wink:
Yeah no worries.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2017, 07:17:09 PM »
Hi Bob - CONGRATS!  I think you will LOVE this bike.  The ride from WV to OH will be reassuring to your purchase! :cool:

A friend in the PHX area has one and I've ridden it. Smooth, capable, and drop-dead reliable.  No matter what other motorcycles you have in your garage...this is the go-to bike when needed. :thumb: :cool: :1:
It's funny you mentioned the 'go to' bike thing.  I stopped by a multi-brand shop yesterday morning to discuss whether they were ordering any 2017 CB1100's, and if they could supply me with a new/leftover CB1100. No, we can't get any more of them at a discounted price.  As the conversation progressed, he mentioned that the CB demo they had earlier in the year was never in the shop for demos, since most everyone who had to run a shop errand usually rode the CB.  "And they had the choice of Aprilia, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and other models of Honda."  The CB was the bike of choice for general running around.  Sounds exactly like what I've been looking for.

Bob

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »
I owned a classic Suzuki GS 750 for about a year. The bike was great, but to truly enjoy the full power, you had to wring it's neck and put the RPM's out to 6000 and beyond. By 2nd gear I was beyond legal. I really prefer making lots of low end useable power down low.

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2017, 11:03:59 AM »
For several years I did most of my touring on the black bullet below. You could be going 90 mph and not have a clue you were going that fast; very aerodynamic and the motor, with dual counterbalancers, was ultrasmooth. True, was a bit boring, but it certainly was well engineered and assembled. Never had anything go wrong with the bike. Sold it when the riding position became too uncomfortable for my aging body.

image upload

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2017, 11:53:50 AM »
An inline 4 has never appealed to me.. except in an airplane.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2017, 02:06:37 PM »

Honda sohc 750...add a cam....yes!    :grin:

Offline JesterGrin_1

• New Egg
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2017, 08:33:45 PM »
Used have a 1982 CBX carburetor nightmare.

What do you mean Carburetors were a nightmare. What wasn't a nightmare lol. I had and built several 79's lol. Did you forget about the alternator clutch replacements along with the brushes lol. Or adjusting the 24 valves lol. But yep to get to the carbs the engine pretty much has to be removed. Well you can leave the bottom cross bolt in the bottom back and then tilt the engine forward on a jack lol. :)

And sorry I could go on a book rant with all of the bikes I have had and messed with or built over the years but really in the end each bike is what I thought I wanted or wished to build at one time or another. As with most things in life things change as our thoughts and experience change.

At the Present time and for the foreseeable future my street bike of choice is a 2002 Moto Guzzi LaMans Red/Silver. :)

My beat around leisure bike is a 96 Kawasaki KLR-650
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 08:35:46 PM by JesterGrin_1 »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2017, 09:15:42 PM »

Much later came a Yamaha FJR1300.  Did not like.   Why?  Because it was like riding a very heavy cast iron camp stove .....

That's a quite atmospheric image ... hope it's not copyrighted, I'll use that ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2017, 11:25:54 PM »
An inline 4 has never appealed to me.. except in an airplane.  :smiley:
Gypsy Major in a J4 Auster or DH 84 Tiger, Brapp...Brapp..Brap p at idle, or were they a six Chuck ?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:27:48 PM by Huzo »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2017, 09:53:38 PM »
4 cyl are awesome and sound raaaddddd when wound out......

....  Superbikes, Midget racers, Offy Roadsters....
John L 

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2017, 11:48:00 PM »
Lannis, be my guest.   I hereby irrevocably waive any copyright claim.   Indeed, please publicize. 

That old FJR was so hot that even Mr. Heat Miser gave up and traded his in.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:58:57 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here