Author Topic: stornello first oil change??  (Read 4144 times)

Offline Warren Rhen

• Hatchling
stornello first oil change??
« on: January 14, 2017, 01:13:53 PM »
So the book says first change 900 miles. I drained the oil and changed the filter and installed 2000cc new oil but the level on the dipstick is much higher than the manual shows. Whats with that :sad:
Cheers,
Warren
16 Piaggio BV 350
86 Citroen 2CV6 Dolly
18 Dodge Charger R/T

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: stornello first oil change??
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 02:01:10 PM »
I don't own one but I'd say from past experience that if you have confirmed the amount is correct, to simply mark the stick by maybe cutting a notch with a file and use that location on the stick for your guide. Just confirmed the amount from your dealer or service manual or both. I don't see how you can go wrong with that.

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 02:32:15 PM »
So the book says first change 900 miles. I drained the oil and changed the filter and installed 2000cc new oil but the level on the dipstick is much higher than the manual shows. Whats with that :sad:

Is this before or after running the engine? I don't know the small block, but I assume 2L is the specified oil capacity. So did you use some of it to fill the filter before installation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Online Howard R

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 05:02:09 PM »
If you checked before starting the engine, it will take some oil (and some time) to fill the filter, you can't pre-fill a filter before installation on the small blocks.  Do they still have two drain plugs, one on the back of the sump in the "usual" place and another on the front of the sump?  Maybe you didn't get all the old stuff drained out?

If you can verify that everything is as it should be and the level is still too high, NCDan has your answer, stick is not marked right.  Easy to correct that.

Just a few ideas, good luck figuring it out.

Howard
Littlestown, PA  USA

1996 Sport 1100
1998 Centauro

MGNOC # L-707

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 05:02:09 PM »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 05:06:34 PM »
Check your manual to see if the dipstick should be screwed in or just resting on the threads when checking.

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 05:19:28 PM »
Or side stand vs center stand...I have my smallblock half way tween marks, warm, not threaded, center-stand ....seems to keep the oil from venturing into air boxes, nooks and crannies...at 6k it sips 150mls every 800 miles, but trending toward less...even tho I flog it into the yellow....dang motor feels a humming Swiss watch at 6.5k rpm

And yeah those two drain plugs can get you
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:05:00 AM by chuck peterson »
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 05:37:36 PM »

Hi Warren - How do you like your Stornello in general? 

Do you ever take it (gently...) on dirt roads or off road?

What are the pros and cons, in your opinion, of this model Guzzi.  Thanks in advance.

JJ Cerilli
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Warren Rhen

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 07:18:14 AM »
If you checked before starting the engine, it will take some oil (and some time) to fill the filter, you can't pre-fill a filter before installation on the small blocks.  Do they still have two drain plugs, one on the back of the sump in the "usual" place and another on the front of the sump?  Maybe you didn't get all the old stuff drained out?
Howard

Two plugs? who'da thunk. I missed that and I looked in the manual and sure enough it's there. Thanks all, I'll fix that
Cheers,
Warren
16 Piaggio BV 350
86 Citroen 2CV6 Dolly
18 Dodge Charger R/T

Offline Warren Rhen

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 07:34:52 AM »
Hi Warren - How do you like your Stornello in general? 

Do you ever take it (gently...) on dirt roads or off road?

What are the pros and cons, in your opinion, of this model Guzzi.  Thanks in advance.

JJ Cerilli
I love it. I got rid of a Ducati Scrambler FT and got this and it was a great move, at least for me. I just feel so much more at home on this than the Duc. I did change to  Icon shocks. I rarely take it on dirt and I'm not a good dirt rider so I couldn't give an opinion on whether it's good or bad on dirt. I do know that as soon as I wear these tires out I'll replace them w/Pirelli Demons. The exhaust has just the right tone, the engine runs perfect as long as you let it warm up for a minute or two, the seat is very comfortable. I put 200+ miles on the other day and had no aches or pains at all. I've had about 100 bikes and my favorite was a 93 Duc 750SS 20+ years ago and this Stornello reminds me a lot of it. Hope this helps
Cheers,
Warren
16 Piaggio BV 350
86 Citroen 2CV6 Dolly
18 Dodge Charger R/T

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 11:36:04 PM »
I love it. I got rid of a Ducati Scrambler FT and got this and it was a great move, at least for me. I just feel so much more at home on this than the Duc. I did change to  Icon shocks. I rarely take it on dirt and I'm not a good dirt rider so I couldn't give an opinion on whether it's good or bad on dirt. I do know that as soon as I wear these tires out I'll replace them w/Pirelli Demons. The exhaust has just the right tone, the engine runs perfect as long as you let it warm up for a minute or two, the seat is very comfortable. I put 200+ miles on the other day and had no aches or pains at all. I've had about 100 bikes and my favorite was a 93 Duc 750SS 20+ years ago and this Stornello reminds me a lot of it. Hope this helps

Hi Warren, it does and thanks for your commentary / feedback! :thumb: :cool: :1:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 06:08:46 PM »
Two plugs? who'da thunk. I missed that and I looked in the manual and sure enough it's there. Thanks all, I'll fix that

You wouldn't be the first one Warren. :rolleyes: :grin:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 08:19:11 AM »
You wouldn't be the first one Warren. :rolleyes: :grin:

Ha ha!  I happen to be wearing my Mr. Nevada t-shirt today.  He's a hapless fellow that ... what did he do?  I think he drained the transmission instead of the oil, and put oil in the dipstick hole until it overflowed.  He complained that he never had that problem with his Honda.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Online jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 08:27:46 AM »
My V7ii was full after adding 1.8L

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 11:40:04 PM »
I have heard that for Stelvios and other Guzzis that the proper oil level is half way between the full and low marks. If you put more in the engine will get rid of it.
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 05:30:31 AM »
I have heard that for Stelvios and other Guzzis that the proper oil level is half way between the full and low marks. If you put more in the engine will get rid of it.

Yep, that's my experience.  It's like a tumbler of brandy; halfway is full enough.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 07:29:59 AM »
As long as you're carefully re-reading the manual, note that the first oil change was supposed to be at ~600 mi (1000 km), not 900 mi.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 08:18:15 AM »

And be careful with the rear plug.  It's a small diameter bolt, with an overly large head, so you end up over-torquing it with your large wrench and stripping out the soft aluminum pan it goes into. 

Make it snug, but not strong-arm tight.

And yes, my torque wrench has those exact settings.

Sort of.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline waxi

• The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts.
  • Gosling
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 09:18:02 AM »
Yep, that's my experience.  It's like a tumbler of brandy; halfway is full enough.

Here we go again...

Right, now where is that exactly? I have my new V7 more than a year and still don't know about this oil level. I put 2L in, and I have oil in airbox and way above maximum on dip stick. I put 0,5L into gearbox and it puked it right through the breather. Apparently only in shaft you can't mess it up.

I wish Guzzi would have some German mentality/precision.

Moto Guzzi V7 II Special, 2015
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998
Tomos Automatik A3 ML, 1987, oldtimer

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 06:36:06 PM »
2 liters is too much.  Shoot for 1/2 on the dipstick.  Maybe start with 1.5 liter.  Its a balance between too little and too much. 
Kind of like touching a woman.  A balance where half way is best.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 07:39:10 PM »
Here we go again...

Right, now where is that exactly? I have my new V7 more than a year and still don't know about this oil level. I put 2L in, and I have oil in airbox and way above maximum on dip stick. I put 0,5L into gearbox and it puked it right through the breather. Apparently only in shaft you can't mess it up.

I wish Guzzi would have some German mentality/precision.

Waxi, sometime Guzzi changed from measuring with the dipstick unscrewed (as on the Breva), to the dipstick screwed in. not sure when that happened.

When I did my first drain I measured exactly 1.8 lits (as specified for the 2TB's) ran it until hot, then checked the level. As mine was spot on on the dipstick and it has never puked oil, I was good to go. I gather not all have had this happy experience... :rolleyes:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline waxi

• The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts.
  • Gosling
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 04:24:37 AM »
Waxi, sometime Guzzi changed from measuring with the dipstick unscrewed (as on the Breva), to the dipstick screwed in. not sure when that happened.

When I did my first drain I measured exactly 1.8 lits (as specified for the 2TB's) ran it until hot, then checked the level. As mine was spot on on the dipstick and it has never puked oil, I was good to go. I gather not all have had this happy experience... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know that. I measure unscrewed. As much as I like Guzzi, I also hate their negligence and carelessness. I don't know how can they afford it. :violent1:

• Why is there inconsistency between actual capacity in engine and what is listed in documentation? As a customer I get confused: which is now correct? Should I add as stated in documentation and have level well above maximum, or should I go by dipstick and potentially risk oil shortage?
  • You can't check oil level in gearbox. You add it as much as papers say. Then it puked.
  • If they messed something up, why the hell is this still going on with 2016 models?
  • My niece, who is 5 years old would design better, unambiguous dipstick!
  • If we need to debate about something as simple as oil change, maybe there are errors also elsewhere. For example... should I believe valve clearances are correct in service manual? Or torques?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:33:00 AM by waxi »
Moto Guzzi V7 II Special, 2015
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998
Tomos Automatik A3 ML, 1987, oldtimer

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here