Author Topic: wireless tyre pressure monitors  (Read 3189 times)

Online ray bear

• Gosling
wireless tyre pressure monitors
« on: January 16, 2017, 03:14:57 AM »
Hi all, has any one had any experience with wireless tyre pressure monitors that send a signal from a sensor on the valve stem to a monitor on the handlebars showing tyre pressure and temperature. Normally I'm old fashioned and just look as I'm riding but pannier bags make it hard to see the rear tyre when riding and paved roads are not normally an issue as you can feel an under inflated tyre  however I do a lot of miles on my old Eldo and some of them on outback unpaved roads and   would be nice to know that a tyre is getting low on pressure before you do any serious unrepairable damage. I'm used to punctures and all my bikes have tyre repair stuff with them but I just want to catch a puncture before it destroys my inner tube beyond repair.  Thanks for any replies Bill
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert
84 FLHX limited edition electra glide

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
Re: wireless tyre pressure monitors
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 05:29:36 AM »
I used one for several years.  I loved it. 

I picked one that would also work with my RV trailer so got the Hawkshead brand.  Because it was 'dual purpose' for me it was a bit harder to set up the controller, but, worked great.  The only caution is to use metal valve stems. 

The tire units are small and can be used without rebalancing the tires.

The one I had did not show proper psi and temp until tires had rolled a good distance.  Other units are better that way if it matters to you.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 09:53:42 AM »
A pair of them came as standard equipment on my new Triumph.

Along with "reverse cameras" in a car, the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is one of my new favorite, useful pieces of technology, which I will likely install on some of my other bikes.

Given the potential consequences if you're rolling along and a tire is going flat and you don't notice, then you hit a curve and the tire goes wild on you, it's REALLY good to know what your tire pressure is doing as you go down the road.

Only problem with the Triumph sensors is that the batteries for the in-tire senders are not replaceable, and it's a $160 impact to replace.    I think these are meant to last 5 years or something .... Maybe aftermarket sensors have replaceable batteries ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 11:41:00 AM »
Depends on brand.  Most are not replaceable.  The Hawkshead have replaceable batteries, which was sometimes a nuisance, but, better than buying new units (they were only $40).  The replaceable batteries lasted for over a year of daily use, but, on long trips  (multiple 8hr driving days) they had problems.  The non-replaceable ones I have heard last for at least a couple of years.

You might consider the inside the rim type if you can live with them.  I did not cause I figured I'd break them when I spooned the tires on or off.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 11:41:00 AM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 01:07:07 PM »
Hi all, has any one had any experience with wireless tyre pressure monitors that send a signal from a sensor on the valve stem to a monitor on the handlebars showing tyre pressure and temperature. Normally I'm old fashioned and just look as I'm riding but pannier bags make it hard to see the rear tyre when riding and paved roads are not normally an issue as you can feel an under inflated tyre  however I do a lot of miles on my old Eldo and some of them on outback unpaved roads and   would be nice to know that a tyre is getting low on pressure before you do any serious unrepairable damage. I'm used to punctures and all my bikes have tyre repair stuff with them but I just want to catch a puncture before it destroys my inner tube beyond repair.  Thanks for any replies Bill
Hi Raybear, are you the bloke plotting a mass Guzzi ride soon ?

Online ray bear

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 01:23:43 PM »
Hi Huzo, No not me planning a mass ride I'm a bit of a loner .
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert
84 FLHX limited edition electra glide

guzzipete

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 01:30:36 PM »
Hi Raybear

I have installed TPMS on all three of my bikes and love them.

You have a company in Australia that sells TPMS for motorcycles Steelmate.

http://www.steelmate.com.au/p/8947695/tp-90-a-stylish-tpms-for-your-motorcycle.html

You do have to wire the head unit into the bikes electrical system, but you will not have to purchase a battery for it.

I have a TireGard system installed on my BMW .

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/59369/i/tiregard-handlebar-tire-pressure-monitoring-systems

I did a three week 5k trip in 2015 and did not have to replace any batteries.

The other two bikes have:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/show-chrome-accessories-easier-to-read-updated-tpms-display/part/BBP-13-315U

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Wireless-Pressure-Monitoring-Digital/dp/B01GGMDBFG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484594955&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=motorcycle+tpms&psc=1

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 01:22:57 PM »
Hi Huzo, No not me planning a mass ride I'm a bit of a loner .
Yeah I think it's Bat 11, I think he's from Soth Oz also.

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 06:42:09 PM »
I have the Spy system.  Link below.  I love it.  All wireless, replaceable sensor batteries, the main unit holds a charge forever and when it does start to get weak, it takes about 20 minutes to fully recharge.  It only comes on when there is motion detected. Under/over pressure alert. The only downside I have found with it is that it tends to run about 3 psi lower than actual. Not a big deal to me.  I've also noticed that if a bike sits a while, it still shows the last pressure, so it's smart to double check manually before riding.

https://www.amazon.com/rechargeable-motorcycle-monitoring-waterproof-dustproof/dp/B01IR1Z3CS
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 07:35:16 PM »
I have the Spy system.  Link below.  I love it.  All wireless, replaceable sensor batteries, the main unit holds a charge forever and when it does start to get weak, it takes about 20 minutes to fully recharge.  It only comes on when there is motion detected. Under/over pressure alert. The only downside I have found with it is that it tends to run about 3 psi lower than actual. Not a big deal to me.  I've also noticed that if a bike sits a while, it still shows the last pressure, so it's smart to double check manually before riding.

https://www.amazon.com/rechargeable-motorcycle-monitoring-waterproof-dustproof/dp/B01IR1Z3CS

Does it use little "button" batteries in sensors that screw onto the valve stem?   How long do they last, and are they a common $2.50 items or something else?

I use the "red yellow green" pressure sensing valve caps on my old bikes, and they tend to leak a bit.   Do these leak that you notice ... ?

No on-line reviews yet so you can be the first!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 08:03:24 PM »
I have that system on a BMW F800S.  I once rolled over a contractor's wall paneling glue injector needle riding into Dallas, and it was kinda cool to see the system reporting the ever decreasing rear tire pressure.   So I kinda liked it at that moment. 

On the other hand, the only reason I was looking at the instrument cluster during that episode was because the back end felt squirrely.  So yes, TPS confirmed my worries about the rear tire.  But absent TPS, I probably would have pulled over anyway and discovered the giant needle in my tire.

The TPS sensor makes changing tires a bit more fussy.  You have a delicate and expensive gizmo on the rim.  A local dealer destroyed mine, even though I warned him about it, and there was a warning decal on the rim. 

Finally, my TPS reads about 3 to 5 psi low compared to various known good air pressure gauges.  So yes, TPS will tell you if the tire is grossly under-inflated.  But I still use a tire pressure gauge. 

Bottom line for me is that TPS is kinda neat, but not a "must have" feature.  But I'm a Luddite.

Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 09:13:19 PM »
They are only a breakage issue if you get the internal ones.  The external ones come off before doing any tire work.

I have to update a previous comment.  When looking for a new system for the RV trailer I found that many of the external ones these days have replaceable batteries, usually the 1632's.  I had those on my previous system and while not difficult to find, they are not common like the 2032's that you can find in every grocery, drug and hardware store.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 11:03:25 AM »
Does it use little "button" batteries in sensors that screw onto the valve stem?   How long do they last, and are they a common $2.50 items or something else?

I use the "red yellow green" pressure sensing valve caps on my old bikes, and they tend to leak a bit.   Do these leak that you notice ... ?

No on-line reviews yet so you can be the first!

Lannis
Yes. Not sure how long they last. I've had them for 2 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 07:19:09 PM »
My former parts guy bought 6 packages of motorcycle TPMS, if you would like to buy one at dealer cost PM me and I'll get the details on them, I would just like to get my money back since they have been hanging in the same spot for a year now.
Just incase PM isn't working better yet email me at cdbikes@icloud.com
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 08:52:00 AM »
I have 3 each of the internal or external sensor TIREGARD wireless TPMs systems new in the box, My cost of $127.00 for the internal & $5.00 more for the external sensors. so I'll sell them for that & actual postage to your door for anybody interested.
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 03:17:27 PM »
I have them in my KTM, bought it 11/13, still ticking.

I look at them on every ride and especially if I feel strange handling.

Once stopped a trip to repair a tire going down on my wife's bike (F650GS twin) after she noticed the TPMS alert.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 05:22:45 PM »
Internal ones on my BMW still going strong.  They are original, and 10 years old now.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here