Author Topic: Shorai battery?  (Read 3584 times)

Offline dividedbyzach

• New Egg
    • Venice Vintage Motorcycle Club
Shorai battery?
« on: January 17, 2017, 05:21:26 PM »
Anyone have some insight into replacing my old battery with the Shorai?

I see some stuff posted from 5 years ago that said their customer service was great, but does anyone have any updates regarding performance?

I'm also trying to specifically figure out which battery to get for my 1970 Ambo. Haven't called Shorai yet but thought one of you guys might know.

Currently running X2 Power X2-30LA battery.
1975 Honda CB 550
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
1983 HD FXSB
2009 HD Nightster

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
Re: Shorai battery?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 05:38:21 PM »
I don't know specifically about which model Shorai for your Ambo, but I can confirm good performance on my Norge for the last several years with the Shorai with only one or two times when it drew down, and it provides a nice sizeable weight savings vs. the stock battery.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:22:27 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 05:59:04 PM »
I'm not sure a Lithium-Ion battery is a great choice for an older bike, but it might work. Things to keep in mind are that the Li-Ion characteristics that might work against you:

- Lithium batteries are not well-suited to low temperatures, as they lose performance dramatically below 0 degrees C, and can suffer permanent damage. If you live in a cool climate this may be a concern (i.e., routine use below about 10 degrees C). Conversely, they operate very well in warm temperatures, and don't degrade till about 60 degrees C.
- Lithium batteries are somewhat fussier about charge rates and the range of voltage while charging; this may present issues with older voltage regulator designs etc. They are particularly fussy about over charging or charging at high rates.
- Exceptionally heavy loads or deep cycling can be problematic unless the battery is designed and sized for that type of use.
- You are somewhat at the mercy of the manufacturer's skill at designing and building the internal control electronics for the battery - stuff that's just not needed on a traditional lead acid or AGM battery.

All that being said, if a Li-Ion is well-suited to your application, it can be very handy. I had one in my DRZ-400SM, out here in the desert, and it was light, compact, effective, and reliable. Then again, that kind of use fits all the things I mentioned above.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 06:23:24 PM »
I have a Shorai battery in my Breva 1100. I like it. I had one go bad and Shorai pro rated and replaced it very quickly. I don't remember what they charged me but I do remember I was happy with it.

By the way, it's not a Lithium-Ion battery. It's a Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry battery.
North Carolina

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 06:23:24 PM »

Offline DARKHORSE

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 06:49:42 PM »
I have two of these in my bikes, going on five years. Never had any problems with them. The only thing I can recomend is to buy the biggest one you can fit if you have any loads on the battery with key off. ie. clocks and electronics. What are you going to do with all the space after you replace the lead battery?  I am building an Eldo this winter.

Offline dividedbyzach

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 08:19:45 PM »
Thanks guys!

btw I live in LA (75 degrees today :thumb:) and it's and Ambo, not an Eldo...Doubt it matters.
1975 Honda CB 550
1983 HD FXSB
2009 HD Nightster

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 06:19:52 AM »
Lithiums will likely work better in older bikes, as there is no ECU checking voltage that can be a little low when it gets cold. I will be putting one in my Scout, as the lead acid battery has crapped out after 2 seasons-and the space is tiny.

Offline BoatDoc

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 08:29:17 PM »
I've purchased about a dozen lithium iron (LiFe) batteries over the last ten years from Shorai and Bioenno. Most were for deep cycle work as part of a research project, but two were for motorcycles. For the most part they work well, but like other batteries they have their quirks and risks. I agree with the posters about getting the battery company's charger. If  the battery does get low a charger designed for lead acid will ruin the LiFe battery (experience talking here!). I agree with the poster that suggested getting the largest capacity that will fit in your bike; when it gets cold you will want the extra capacity. If you do find yourself in cold conditions and it doesn't crank, don't give up. Do something to draw current from the battery and the battery will become internally warmer and more active. I've turned on the brights for 2-3 minutes and the bike then cranks fine. Don't let them sit discharged very long or they won't come back. They can take a fairly high charge and discharge rate though (often regulated however).

The bottom line is that I would not hesitate to buy one if I'm looking to shed a few pounds from my bike and the budget allows it.

Offline dividedbyzach

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 05:00:37 PM »
Hopping back on this old thread for an update:

Got the Shorai in November of 2017 and it worked like a charm until it didn't. It just stopped working, had it tested and it's a bad battery.

They prorate your $ back to you, so I'll get a 75% refund and will likely go back to a AGM battery.
1975 Honda CB 550
1983 HD FXSB
2009 HD Nightster

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 06:55:53 PM »
Thanks for the update. AGM batteries also work fine until they don't.. but I think are a little more reliable. I've had very good service with AGMs, except for one.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 08:53:45 PM »
I installed a Lithium in my Scout after going through 3 AGMs-which surprises me. I got an Antigravity-I'll keep y'all posted.

I came to the conclusion that the Scout needs more battery, but there is no room for a larger one. It takes more out starting than even a 25 mile ride will recover  so if one is riding short rides between longer ones,the battery can be run down too far.

The new one has double the (equivalent) CCA rating. Plus a proper charger. My wife's bike remains AGM, as she seldom does rides under 100 miles-and her battery remains in great shape even without the tender.

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 09:31:56 PM »
I just finished reading Dave Searle's article on Lithium ion batteries in the  2/19 edition of MCN. The Li Ion battery's are used exclusively (?my word), in electric vehicles. The environmental burden is huge and remote. Who knew?  R3~ 

Offline Kristian

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 11:15:52 PM »
On old bikes, it's well worth it--nay, necessary--to check your charging system performance before installing a LiFe battery. I installed and properly grounded a new R/R on my Sport 1100 and ensured correct charging voltages, etc. before getting the Shorai. Dodgy old-bike grounding and voltages--especially on systems as cranky as old Guzzi systems--will cause trouble with LiFe batteries.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 06:03:42 AM »
My Sport 1100 responded very well to a Ballistic. Never needed a charger.

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 06:32:21 AM »
I am dumping my Lithium.

Tired of the cooler weather no starts.  I will miss the smaller size, lighter weight, and no battery acid.

Works great above 60, at it approaches 60 it takes longer and longer before it will start.  Rest of the day its good, but of course its warmer.

Ordered an AGM yesterday.  have an overnight trip next week, and its one thing to have a no start at the house, but not on the road. 

Never again, maybe if I could turn on the headlight to warm the battery where it would show proper voltage when its warm, but.....

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 09:16:50 AM »
I have a few in my various bikes-Buell for the last three years, the Guzzi last year, the Triumph for the last two years, now one in a Norton.  rough Edge researched these and Shorai says they shouldn't be charged at more than 15 volts.  Most older bikes are 13.5 to 14.? unless the regulator craps out.  I like them a lot because a bike can sit for quite a while and I don't have to constantly top them off.  I get the biggest battery for cold cranking I can as well.

Offline acguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 09:32:08 AM »
I've cranked mine at 40F no problem, but I did pick a larger battery to get reserve capacity, even the small ones ar great at cranking given the small capacity, but I would pick the largest I could get if I were you. I like them, fantastic cranking performance and light weight.

Offline acguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 09:33:52 AM »
by the way my "large" battery is 6 real ampere hours not "equivalent". Still a lot smaller than the standard lead acid.

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 05:53:52 PM »
Mine lasted two years. Went to a exide for $50 it's doing fine at 3 years . So why waste $$$!
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 07:50:38 PM »
I guess te bike has a lot to do with it. I got many years out of just about any battery with big block Guzzis except the carb Sport.

Offline lrutt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 06:53:13 AM »
I have 8+ years on a Shorai in my XR650L Honda. Big single. I put a Shorai in my CB550 Honda rat bike but also put in a modern RR to make sure it's charged properly. The 550 can sit for 8 months and still crank and start the bike right off. Amazing batteries.
06 HD Sporty, 06 Tri Scram, 01 Duc M900, 01 Hon XR650L, 94 HD Heritage, 88 Hon Hawk GT, 84 Yam Virago, 82 Hon C70, 78 Hon CB750k w/sidecar, 76 Hon CB750k, 77 Guzzi Lemans, 73 Norton 850, 73 Hon Z50, 71 Tri Trophy, 70 Tri Tiger, 70 Hon CT90, 71 Yam RT1 360, 65 Hon 305 Dream, 70 Suz T250, 64 Hon CT200

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here