Author Topic: Test rode new Eldorado......everyone confused  (Read 6130 times)

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Test rode new Eldorado......everyone confused
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2016, 07:27:35 PM »
The 1400 Eldorado is thinly disguised as a cruiser.  It handles better than the other 1400 Guzzi's.

The bar is so low, it's only a small step to get over it.

(apologies or a Mr P.Keating  :huh: )

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2016, 07:32:41 PM »
Okay.  Obviously, my opinion, the test rides done on back to back rides on all 3 bikes going up to the airport at John Day, OR from the rally site.  The road has 3 hairpins on the switchbacks then long sweepers coming down to the highway back to the county fairgrounds.

Ah,
so you don't own a 1400...
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2016, 04:27:47 AM »
Ah,

Aw come on, so what. 3 back to back test rides probably means more than say 20k on just ONE of those bikes (not saying you haven't ridden the others as I don't know, but the average owner probably hasn't bothered to demo them all anyway).

Not that any of this matters as it probably all boils down to preference anyway.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 09:18:38 AM »
It does make some sense that a smaller front wheel will turn in faster, thus making switch backs easier to navigate, but thats only one aspect of handling.  How does each bike do on long fast sweepers, how is extreme breaking, how does each bike deal with road imperfections, the list goes on and on.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 09:18:38 AM »

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2016, 11:40:25 AM »
Well, I don't know as I haven't ridden a Touring or Custom enough to make an educated comparison.

mjptexas: Have you ridden a 1400 Eldorado? If not, then?????

What I can say for certain is I can buy a back tire for my bike that will cost 2/3's that of the T or C rear, and get twice the mileage.  :evil:

John Henry

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2016, 02:23:07 PM »
Ah,

I'lll bite.  Have you ridden a 1400 Eldorado?  Have you ridden any of the 3 on a hairpin switchback road with decreasing radius turns?  Oh....wait a minute.  I forgot you're the fastest thing on 2 wheels or 3rd fastest.  :grin: :grin: :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2016, 11:40:30 AM »
I'lll bite.  Have you ridden a 1400 Eldorado?  Have you ridden any of the 3 on a hairpin switchback road with decreasing radius turns?  Oh....wait a minute.  I forgot you're the fastest thing on 2 wheels or 3rd fastest.  :grin: :grin: :grin:

I did a 40 mile ride on the Eldorado shortly after it was released.  Route included Lime Creek Road which has many of the similarities you mention including a decreasing radius off camber turn.  In all fairness I didn't scrape the floorboards, which I have done with my Cali Custom since I didn't want to mess up a borrowed bike. 
Don't get me wrong, the Eldorado is a nice handling bike.  I'd seen several posts in the last year talking about how great the Eldorado handles.  IMHO the handling differences between the two bikes is modest at best.  Simply time to throw my two cents in.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2016, 11:53:13 AM »

I'd seen several posts in the last year talking about how great the Eldorado handles.  IMHO the handling differences between the two bikes is modest at best.  Simply time to throw my two cents in.

That's fair enough.

And that statement confirms you DO think there IS at least a difference.

So all this boils down to, is what people like us so often waste our time arguing over, simply a subjective manner of degree and perspective of how much we care.

And that's fine, I get it. I truly do.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2016, 12:49:38 PM »
I did a 40 mile ride on the Eldorado shortly after it was released.  Route included Lime Creek Road which has many of the similarities you mention including a decreasing radius off camber turn.  In all fairness I didn't scrape the floorboards, which I have done with my Cali Custom since I didn't want to mess up a borrowed bike. 
Don't get me wrong, the Eldorado is a nice handling bike.  I'd seen several posts in the last year talking about how great the Eldorado handles.  IMHO the handling differences between the two bikes is modest at best.  Simply time to throw my two cents in.

'ey...like I said my opinion only.  Don't get me wrong.  I like the Cali 1400 Touring and the Custom but the difference in the handling for the 1400 Eldo would make me want to buy it instead of the other 2.  I like the looks of the Eldo better too.  Retro look.  I have 2 Eldo's.  '75 & '73.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here