Author Topic: frame paint -with a brush  (Read 2950 times)

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
frame paint -with a brush
« on: September 25, 2016, 10:42:51 PM »
I just picked up a tired old Convert yesterday, as a winter project. Maybe two winters, who knows. At some time in its sorry past, the battery leaked acid, lifting the paint on the swingarm and frame and other places. One of the jobs I have is to pull the swingarm anyway to check things out, and while it is removed I thought I might give it a lick of paint.  I am not a spray gun guy, and don't want to spring for powder coat, and I have found that rattle can paint is not very durable.  I am leaning towards a tough brush-on paint of some kind, sorta like POR15, but I know that stuff does not like UV rays. Any other hard paints that I should consider? Eastwood Chassis Black? Tremclad? Others? Or is there a rattle can type of paint that is fairly hard?
Thanks
JD
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 09:54:11 PM by JayDee24ca »
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5
the rest are all gone.....

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: frame paint -with a brush
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 10:56:17 PM »
Check the por15 line for frame paint.  I've had one of mine in por15 for going on 20 years now (I sprayed it).  It's been good under a lot of abuse.  Even if you can't find your favorite flavor of POR15 in uv-resistent, UV fade is really a picky detail once you've decided to use a brush.

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 10:57:43 PM »
 Use the POR as a base coat , then top coat with any good enamel . There is a rattle can paint that has a hardener contained separately which is released right before using , can't remember the name.

Dusty

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 08:36:51 AM »
POR-15 Top Coat (formerly Chassis Black) is UV resistant.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Top-Coat_p_102.html

I painted my mailbox with it five years ago and it's still holding up very well. Available in a 14 oz. aerosol or by the pint, quart and gallon. I buy it on Amazon, because shipping there is free and quite expensive when shipped directly from POR-15. Applied with a foam brush, it really flows out well and won't look like it was applied with a brush.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 08:38:40 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 08:36:51 AM »

Online fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 12:09:42 PM »
Another comment...That chassis black por15 matches the black engine paint on my EVT (I used on the outsider edge so it blends in) and Cagiva black engine as well.
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 03:56:03 PM »
Check the por15 line for frame paint.  I've had one of mine in por15 for going on 20 years now (I sprayed it).  It's been good under a lot of abuse.  Even if you can't find your favorite flavor of POR15 in uv-resistent, UV fade is really a picky detail once you've decided to use a brush.
:1: for Por15, the brush strokes smooth right out
I did my Eldorado with it

wear gloves, I didn't I was black for a week.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

canuck750

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 06:11:25 PM »
Two thumbs up for POR 15, it isn't cheap but you get what you pay for. I just cleaned up a Laverda 750 SF1, I first knocked down any rust with a brass wheel in a drill, then wiped down the bare metal with metal etch (phosphorous rust remover) and then brushed on POR 15 semi gloss black. I am pretty picky and would recommend a full strip and powder coat but for a temporary or quick fix the brush on POR 15 is excellent.

As found

After brass brushing off the loose rust, metal etch and brush painted POR 15

PS, POR 15 stains your skin like nothing else, wear good quality rubber gloves!!

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 09:56:47 PM »

2 question re spraying POR15.First, what did you thin it with to make it suitable for a sprayer? When I used it on car restorations it was really thick out of the can. Secondly, what did you use to clean your equipment with? I couldn't find anything that would cut it.
JD
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 10:07:24 PM »
POR-15 Top Coat (formerly Chassis Black) is UV resistant.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Top-Coat_p_102.html

I painted my mailbox with it five years ago and it's still holding up very well. Available in a 14 oz. aerosol or by the pint, quart and gallon. I buy it on Amazon, because shipping there is free and quite expensive when shipped directly from POR-15. Applied with a foam brush, it really flows out well and won't look like it was applied with a brush.
Charles, your experience with the longevity of the POR15 on your mailbox is encouraging. However, others have done the same test on items such as wrought iron railings left in the sun and found that over a few years the black becomes dull and powdery. POR 15s own website says that it will break down and should be topcoated. I think I will err on the side of caution here. I hink the bottom line is that no everyone has the equal success with the product.
Thanks
JD
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 10:51:55 PM »
Charles, your experience with the longevity of the POR15 on your mailbox is encouraging. However, others have done the same test on items such as wrought iron railings left in the sun and found that over a few years the black becomes dull and powdery. POR 15s own website says that it will break down and should be topcoated. I think I will err on the side of caution here. I hink the bottom line is that no everyone has the equal success with the product.
Thanks
JD

Perhaps "others" were not using Top Coat. POR-15 Rust Preventative Coating should be top coated, but not Top Coat (that's why it's called Top Coat). If you read the description at the link I posted it says: "under exposure to sunlight and weather POR-15 Top Coat has exceptional long term gloss and color retention".
Charlie

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 11:00:55 PM »
2 question re spraying POR15.First, what did you thin it with to make it suitable for a sprayer? When I used it on car restorations it was really thick out of the can. Secondly, what did you use to clean your equipment with? I couldn't find anything that would cut it.
JD

I don't remember what I used to thin it with.  IIRC, it said on the can (it only took a small can).  I used a detail gun with a pressure pot and didn't let it get dry on my equipment.  As long as you clean up before it sets it's like any other paint.  Again, I don't recall what I used to thin/cleanup.  If it had been a big deal I probably would remember.

I should mention that I used POR15 primer first.  I'd planned to shoot over the primer with regular frame paint but ended up doing the black POR15 over the cream/whitish primer -- while the primer was still tacky.  It got a very good bond.  It did take a long time to go completely hard.

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 10:32:50 PM »
Charles, you are right. I did not use the link you provided but went directly to POR15's site instead, so I did not see their proprietary top coat product that you referred to. Looks like just the ticket for what I want to do, thanks.
JD
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 11:22:31 PM »
JD

From the POR 15 site FAQ:
HOW DO I THIN POR-15 IF I WANT TO SPRAY IT?
You should use only POR-15 Solvent for thinning. Keep lacquer thinner handy for clean-up. Do not thin POR-15 more than 5%.

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 11:54:23 PM »
Sounds right, except I probably used lacquer thinner to thin it too, knowing me, and I probably thinned it to whatever it took to get it out of the spray gun.  That might have had something to do with the set-up time.  :rolleyes:

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here