Author Topic: Embarrassing: Russian spy ship crashes in fog: sinks  (Read 9950 times)

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Embarrassing: Russian spy ship crashes in fog: sinks
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2017, 07:33:46 AM »
It was Shorn....
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2017, 07:51:26 AM »
It was Shorn....
He was a bit of a dag I recall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2017, 07:53:25 AM »
Freighter Full of Sheep Accidentally Sinks Russian Spy Ship

Maybe one of the sheep was at the helm ??

As Phil, (sheep number 1) sheepishly turned the wheel of the great freighter, he wondered "should I go port or starboard?" Just then, another large vessel appears out of the mist and wham!

About that same time, the captain of the Russian ship echos the sentiment from another great disaster: In the immortal words of the Captain of the Titanic: "Where is all the f***ing water coming from?"

John Henry

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2017, 08:12:17 AM »
As Phil, (sheep number 1) sheepishly turned the wheel of the great freighter, he wondered "should I go port or starboard?" Just then, another large vessel appears out of the mist and wham!

About that same time, the captain of the Russian ship echos the sentiment from another great disaster: In the immortal words of the Captain of the Titanic: "Where is all the f***ing water coming from?"

John Henry
Phil and Shorn were involved, the plot thickens those two were baaaa stards I recall. I bet they fleeced the real captain 👩‍✈️

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2017, 08:12:17 AM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2017, 12:28:19 PM »
Then we have Capt Joe Dedmon who piloted a tug boat pulling several barges up the Arkansas who crashed into the I 40 bridge over the river causing a 580 ft section of the bridge to collapse . Quiet Sunday morning until cars started plunging into the river . Ugly scene , with the added strangeness of a two time felon pretending to be an Army Capt taking control of the situation , even FBI agents on the scene were following his lead  :shocked:

Dusty

quite a tragic scene.  14 folks killed & 11 injured when they fell dozens of feet into the Arkansas River from the Highway bridge. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2017, 04:17:18 PM »
I didn't see in that article anything about 8000 sheep - it only mentioned livestock. Lucky it didn't sink or they'd be sheepless in Istanbul.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/9753/freighter-full-of-sheep-accidentally-sinks-russian-spy-ship
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Madtownguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2017, 04:34:58 PM »
Freighter Full of Sheep Accidentally Sinks Russian Spy Ship

Maybe one of the sheep was at the helm ??

I don't think the sheep were at the helm I think the captain and crew were all taking care of the sheep if you know what I mean while the ship was on autopilot. 
Randy S.
98 V11 EV
05 HD Electra Glide Classic
Madison, WI

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2017, 04:40:50 PM »
Awwww.  You're assuming the freighter was at fault.  Me, I think someone mistook the sheep freighter for a shore leave destination and was trying to dock to it.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2017, 05:32:37 PM »
 I don't suppose anyone brought up the Russian love of Vodka as having any part of this?
It was the main culprit in the Exon Valdez fiasco.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2017, 05:40:22 PM »
Awwww.  You're assuming the freighter was at fault.  Me, I think someone mistook the sheep freighter for a shore leave destination and was trying to dock to it.

Did you mean to write that as a "pun intended" RK.  :drool:
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2017, 05:42:18 PM »
I don't suppose anyone brought up the Russian love of Vodka as having any part of this?

Ixnay.

Incompetent second mate (Greg Cousins) who was warned by his AB (who had a third mate's license) that he was on the wrong side of the light.

Hazelwood wasn't called, and he wasn't at fault, try as they might to pin it on him.

Interesting side note:  After that fiasco, Exxon put an employee assistance program in place, offering help if any mariners would voluntarily come forward with any drug/alcohol problems.  One chief engineer did, and Exxon promptly fired him.  He's now retired very comfortably.

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2017, 05:57:48 PM »
No but someone mentioned port before

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2017, 06:01:10 PM »
Ok enough of the sheep jokes  - I just want to know who Rammed who [emoji13]

oldbike54

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2017, 06:05:54 PM »
Ok enough of the sheep jokes  - I just want to know who Rammed who [emoji13]

Dunno , heard it was a wooly situation .

Dusty

Bill Hagan

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2017, 06:47:40 PM »

Old and in many versions, but I still think it's funny and apropos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ullOcNAdFUI

OTOH, if it made fun of the Army in the same fashion, I'd not be as amused.   :grin:

Bill

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2017, 07:24:54 PM »
 While it may be true that the incompetent mate was driving the ship, Hazelwoodwas the captain and was drunk when he turned over the con to a mate who was not qualified for that passage.  I was on board the Exon Valdez as part of the investigation.  there are two definite channels with more than a thousand yards of separation between the inbound and outbound lanes.  The ship was out bound and crossed the centerline and continued 15 times the length of the ship out of the lanes before striking the rock.  As a drunk captain he was responsible.  He got off easy by virtue of his clever lawyers and the fact that Exon wanted to make the problem go away, not more publicity in court.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2017, 09:07:16 PM »
I think its a lot of sheep dip.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2017, 12:35:51 AM »
Did you mean to write that as a "pun intended" RK.  :drool:

:lipsrsealed:

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2017, 05:36:37 AM »
I do marine accident investigations as part of my work. The analysis of accidents like this and applications of the USCG Navigation Rules is a fascinating exercise. Though seemingly simple and common sense, the rules are surprisingly thorough. There is a fair amount that needs to be considered when reviewing an accident and liability is rarely 100% on one side or the other.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:57:37 AM by boatdetective »
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2017, 08:47:03 AM »
When I was a young New Orleanian (1964), a drunk tow-boat captain hit the Lake Ponchartrain Causeway Bridge one night. The barges completely took down a section of the bridge. Bear in mind that this bridge was very well lit and a drawbridge was only a mile or so North. The six victims were all the occupants of a Trailways bus (though there were survivors) that fell into the water. Oddly, it happened very near where an Eastern Airlines passenger jet crashed into the lake the year before...

http://www.nytimes.com/1964/06/17/6-die-in-lake-pontchartrain-as-bus-plunges-off-bridge-hit-by-barges.html?_r=0
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2017, 10:40:36 AM »
I do marine accident investigations as part of my work. The analysis of accidents like this and applications of the USCG Navigation Rules is a fascinating exercise. Though seemingly simple and common sense, the rules are surprisingly thorough. There is a fair amount that needs to be considered when reviewing an accident and liability is rarely 100% on one side or the other.

I would guess the law of the seas is that "little boats get out of the way of big boats"

Just a guess on my part.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2017, 11:00:04 AM »
 A couple of us were riding the ferry from Galveston over to the Bolivar Peninsula a few years ago . The ferry is motoring along at a good clip , probably 15 knots , and is a good sized hunk of steel . An ancient fishing trawler comes directly across the ferry's path , and my friend who has never been a boat any bigger than a small fishing boat starts yelling at the trawler to "Get out of the way you stupid boat" , (cleaned up a bit  :laugh:) . We did come within 50 feet or so of mating with the trawler , which was entirely too close . The ferry pilot never let off the throttle , which would seem to have been prudent .

Dusty

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2017, 11:05:57 AM »
I would guess the law of the seas is that "little boats get out of the way of big boats"

Just a guess on my part.

Hahaha-  We call this "the Tonnage Rule".   Large commercial ships at speed can take miles to slow down or change course.  It's generally prudent for you to figure out their heading and go anywhere else. All commercial ships should be in direct communication with each other.

Another new and very cool technology is "AIS" (automatic identification system).  It's a feature of modern GPS systems. your vessel has its own ID and will appear on the screen of other ships. They will be able to see you and your course as well as a brief description of the ship (e.g. "big frickin freighter").  Similarly, you boat shows up on the other vessel's GPS chartplotter. When you cross reference AIS with radar, there's no mistaking what is out there.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2017, 11:14:18 AM »
A couple of us were riding the ferry from Galveston over to the Bolivar Peninsula a few years ago . The ferry is motoring along at a good clip , probably 15 knots , and is a good sized hunk of steel . An ancient fishing trawler comes directly across the ferry's path , and my friend who has never been a boat any bigger than a small fishing boat starts yelling at the trawler to "Get out of the way you stupid boat" , (cleaned up a bit  :laugh:) . We did come within 50 feet or so of mating with the trawler , which was entirely too close . The ferry pilot never let off the throttle , which would seem to have been prudent .

Dusty

If the fishing trawler had gear in the water, then she would have the right of way and the ferry would have to alter course.  If it was a crossing situation and the trawler was approaching from the ferry's starboard (right) forward quarter (11:00-3:00), then the trawler would have been favored.

Technically speaking, there is no "tonnage rule". Big guys don't have the right of way over smaller boats just because they are bigger. However, any vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver due to her size and possible restrictions due to the waterway would have the right of way.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2017, 11:27:38 AM »

Technically speaking, there is no "tonnage rule". Big guys don't have the right of way over smaller boats just because they are bigger.

It is quite possible to be "dead right."  Motorcyclists know this pretty well.

oldbike54

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2017, 11:27:39 AM »
If the fishing trawler had gear in the water, then she would have the right of way and the ferry would have to alter course.  If it was a crossing situation and the trawler was approaching from the ferry's starboard (right) forward quarter (11:00-3:00), then the trawler would have been favored.

Technically speaking, there is no "tonnage rule". Big guys don't have the right of way over smaller boats just because they are bigger. However, any vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver due to her size and possible restrictions due to the waterway would have the right of way.

Memory says the trawler had no gear in the water , it was coming from the ferry's starboard side however . It did seem odd that the ferry pilot never even let off . Felt like a case of both pilots having way to much confidence that nothing could go wrong .

Dusty

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2017, 11:44:54 AM »
Memory says the trawler had no gear in the water , it was coming from the ferry's starboard side however . It did seem odd that the ferry pilot never even let off . Felt like a case of both pilots having way to much confidence that nothing could go wrong .

Dusty

Ferry drivers can get the attitude that they are driving a known route and everyone else can f**k off.  At the same time, smaller commercial fishing boats can cop an attitude with pleasure boats. This can be a real bad thing, as you start behaving according to assumptions and not the sound structure of the nav rules. As I think I mentioned, one of the most common errors is a lack of proper communication between vessels. Aside from obvious radio comms, there are lights/shapes as well as horn signals that let other boats know what you are doing.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2017, 11:45:30 AM »

Dusty

They were probably doing the "jawing" for effect's sake. 50 ft separation is plenty of operating room for an experienced helmsman.  What's fun is to have a bunch of 40 ft sloops sheeted in and heeled over approaching a breezy starting line all within a few feet of each other and all wanting the boat end!  Lots of colorful language to be shared in those circumstances.

The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

oldbike54

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2017, 11:57:10 AM »
They were probably doing the "jawing" for effect's sake. 50 ft separation is plenty of operating room for an experienced helmsman.  What's fun is to have a bunch of 40 ft sloops sheeted in and heeled over approaching a breezy starting line all within a few feet of each other and all wanting the boat end!  Lots of colorful language to be shared in those circumstances.

You might be misunderstanding the event Darren . The ferry was heading straight at the trawler and came within 50 ft before the trawler completely cleared its path .

Dusty

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2017, 12:35:43 PM »
You might be misunderstanding the event Darren . The ferry was heading straight at the trawler and came within 50 ft before the trawler completely cleared its path .

Dusty

I get it Dusty, and been in many Port/Starboard crossings where a bow clears a stern by less than a few feet.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here