Author Topic: Another Bonehead oil leak....  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Bobbilljim

• Gosling
  • Eternal Student
Another Bonehead oil leak....
« on: April 30, 2017, 01:34:33 AM »
 :embarassed:
Ok, Here goes (he said with his head hung low)....
Driving hime from work in roughly 80F weather in AZ on the highway cruising along happy and dumb at 70 mph. A nice fellow pulls up along side and yells something to me. I ask for confirmation and he tells me i have sprung a coolant leak. (He must know more about the Cow II than I...) So I look down and behold a shiny glistening over everything. Even the flat black plastic. Hmmmm, has to be oil. More on the left than the right. And then I noticed the clackity clack as I changed lanes to get off at my exit. It was happening long enough I had to put a quart or more back in I think. But it happened. An oil line on the left cyclinder had burst and I had no idea. I have an after market digital gage since the original was long since gone that I THOUGHT had a dummy light. Apparently, this wasnt the case. I misread the symbol that represented oil Temp. Not pressure. Anyways, with the arizona sun beating down Im not sure I would have noticed it either way. So I ordered a new line and cleaned off all the oil. I know I am going to run into issues but has anyone seen what this looks like already and can give me a "getting started" grocery list? Sweet tea is at the top as I am not an avid beer fan. Mostly just Bourbon if Im not doing anything important. Anyways, Im sure new pushrods and lifters. Crank bearings and connection rods? Crank? Or do I just send the whole thing to Harper? I am a mechanic by trade but not a machinist. Anyways. Any help would be appreciated.
Rob

"There's Guzzi Cheap, then there's Stupid cheap" - Fotoguzzi

1984 California II

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Another Bonehead oil leak....
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 10:56:41 AM »
I'm a bit confused, so the left head was oil starved? For how long? You don't say what model but guess I'd start by inspecting the rocker on that side, maybe is not as bad as you imagine?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 04:52:12 PM »
Its hard to say how much your oil pressure dropped with the head line leaking. Was the line completely severed, and shooting oil in a huge stream, or was it partially cut, and  just leaking some ? The latter happened to my Cal II a couple of years ago with no ill effects, but I didnt run it long, lost maybe half a liter of oil.
Like Foto suggested , I would take a look at the rocker arms/pins, you could also drop the pan, and look for any debris, and also pop off a rod cap to look at the bearing/crank journal.
look for any signs of heat damage. The Guzzi lumps are pretty tough, yours may not be as bad as you think....or if you are lucky , may get away with just replacing the oil lines.
Buy the good ones , not the "cheapies". I had a cheap one fail  at a connection after a year.
Rick
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Bobbilljim

• Gosling
  • Eternal Student
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 08:32:11 PM »
I apologize for my forgetfulness, i have picked up the topic here with more current details....

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=93479.0
Rob

"There's Guzzi Cheap, then there's Stupid cheap" - Fotoguzzi

1984 California II

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 08:32:11 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here