Author Topic: FJR vs Norge?  (Read 12159 times)

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
FJR vs Norge?
« on: February 20, 2016, 12:39:11 PM »
I'm confused.  :boozing:

canuguzzi

Re: FJR vs Norge?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 12:44:20 PM »
As in adding on, selling and buying or ?

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 12:48:48 PM »
I don't know........... I've put on 100 miles on her (Norge) TOTAL.

It's winter here and the weather really sucks.

Miss my old FJR...  :boozing:

I need a FIX!!!!!

canuguzzi

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 12:53:46 PM »
Well then, since March is just around the corner and the new FJR is about to hit dealer showrooms, just add an FJR to the stable.

Who cares if they do the same thing?

I say, have them all, a Norge, FJR, R1200RS and whatever else you can manage. It's only money.

But keep the Norge because you know what will happen. Next year this time, Norge or FJR? :wink:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 12:53:46 PM »

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 01:06:11 PM »
I just read that the FJRs are going to coming out with that inertial axis doohickey that will allow ABS and traction control while cornering.  Not sure if it's the '16 or '17 models but something to think about, not to mention all that power.
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 01:10:15 PM »
Well then, since March is just around the corner and the new FJR is about to hit dealer showrooms, just add an FJR to the stable.

Who cares if they do the same thing?

I say, have them all, a Norge, FJR, R1200RS and whatever else you can manage. It's only money.

But keep the Norge because you know what will happen. Next year this time, Norge or FJR? :wink:

lol - it's only money.  :thumb:

The only thing bugging me is those dang high foot-pegs, hoping I won't have to send back the 'all-day' seat for a rework! Got the KD lowering pegs ready for install. NOTE: my inseam is 34" and stock the bike was sort of un-ride-able........ I have no idea why I brought her home.  :boozing:

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 01:13:09 PM »
I just read that the FJRs are going to coming out with that inertial axis doohickey that will allow ABS and traction control while cornering.  Not sure if it's the '16 or '17 models but something to think about, not to mention all that power.

and 'call for a qoute'.  They ain't sayin' what she's gonna cost with all them fancy extra gears.

canuguzzi

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 01:18:25 PM »
The answer is "because",  :grin:

New FJR has a 6 speed tranny, updated tech ala the post 2 up and all that. I imagine it is a rocket yet one of those just ride it and once a year if that, check valves.

The adjustable ergos standard is really nice. No fuss engine.

Whatever you do, don't even try the trade-in thing with the Norge. That " it's only money" thing? The dealer's take it to heart. :evil:

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 01:19:39 PM »
lol - it's only money.  :thumb:

The only thing bugging me is those dang high foot-pegs, hoping I won't have to send back the 'all-day' seat for a rework! Got the KD lowering pegs ready for install. NOTE: my inseam is 34" and stock the bike was sort of un-ride-able........ I have no idea why I brought her home.  :boozing:

The Knight Design lowering foot pegs and toe pegs (get those, too) make a huge difference! Put them on, and you will notice the improvement.

Also, you have not had much of a chance to ride your Norge. If you can put 1,000 miles on it, I think you will find you miss the old FJR less and less and enjoy the soulful Norge more and more!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 01:24:15 PM by JeffOlson »
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 01:24:54 PM »
The Knight Design lowering foot pegs and toe pegs (get those, too) make a huge difference! Put them on, and you will notice the improvement.

Yeah, will see how the foot controls work without the 'toe pegs' first.

BTY: What's MSRP on the 2016 FJR?  :boozing:

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 02:03:56 PM »
The Norge takes forever to brake in. My bike did not loosen up until 8-9,000 miles.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

canuguzzi

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 02:11:19 PM »
Around $19k if memory serves. Memory fails often when 5 figures are involved with motorcycles.

It will be interesting to see how the new FJR is received , will current owners rush to upgrade or will they carve out more customers from other brands? Yamaha has been on the skids in sales numbers  from reports that track those things. If they don't have a lit of interest right off, might be some leverage to get a decent deal.

100 miles on the Norge? Dang, brand new still.

If you are going to sell it, maybe see if MG discontinues the model as there might be interest to buy them if they won't be available later on. Never know.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 02:42:14 PM »
Yeah the Norge does take a long time to "brake" in, but don't you think that the longer it takes to "wear in", the longer it will take to "wear out". BTW do you like the " Brembo breaks"

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 03:29:49 PM »
Yeah the Norge does take a long time to "brake" in, but don't you think that the longer it takes to "wear in", the longer it will take to "wear out". BTW do you like the " Brembo breaks"

Wonderful, simply wonderful. The handling is stunning too!

Of course she sure is a looker....  :kiss:

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 07:24:09 PM »
With my 2011 the first about 1,000 miles was kind of like breaking in a new starched pair of jeans. After that everything just sort of came together. Been getting better ever since except for that lifter thing.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 12:32:35 PM »
Problem with the Norge (MAJOR) is LEGROOM.

Not everyone has a 28" inseam.

canuguzzi

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 01:03:44 PM »
I'm curious. It seems you are unhappy with the Norge's ergos, true, it doesn't fit everyone and sometimes no matter how much you change things, the basic machine just doesn't fit.

You miss your FJR, understandable since it is a great ST and the new ones are even better, they do check lots of boxes.

Since you've had it quite a while but put on only 100 miles, a couple of observations:

1. 100 miles isn't even enough to really know how the machine really runs. You can get some idea but that comes to what, about 2 hours worth of riding?

2. You seem to like the Norge but always come back to the ergos. Maybe the Norge just isn't for you.

JMHO but even if you changed the footrests, seat and other things to make it fit, perhaps that is trying to squeeze square pegs into round holes?

From all your posts which go back and forth but only after riding the Norge for 100 miles, maybe your best bet is to get another FJR? It isn't like the Norge is the only ST made nor is it the only ST that has whatever it is one needs from an ST or a motorcycle.

Maybe ask yourself, was there anything wrong with the FJR you had or did you just want to try the Norge and experience the Moto Guzzi mystic? OK, you've been there and done that.

Were the grins on your face any less with the FJR? From what it reads, you were thrilled with the FJR, wanted to experiment and now its time to head back to what you really want.

Going back to a FJR is not going a step down, it is happens to be what you really want and like. How can that be wrong?

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 01:22:24 PM »
Quote from Cool Runnings:
"Problem with the Norge (MAJOR) is LEGROOM.

Not everyone has a 28" inseam."

I an 5'10" and have a 32" inseam and have no clearance or knee comfort problems on my 8V. The knee room is tighter on my T-3 with floorboards..
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 01:25:33 PM »
^ NP is right on. Ride what you really like. Life is too short, and there are too many great alternatives, to settle for a motorcycle that doesn't light your fire.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 03:20:29 PM »
Seats and screens.  Always need to be adjusted for the rider.  It's SO easy to mod the Norge seat that it should not be an issue.
Half the problem for him may be that it's quite possible to sink a half inch into the stck seat which will make any perceived problem worse.

I've raised several Norge seats now for customers and they are in100% agreement-it's much improved.  Two with 32" inseam and one with 36".
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 04:40:22 PM »
Yeah, got an additional $800 + into the bike for comfort and ergonomics, we'll see how she behaves this spring.

Seems like the MODERN trend in motorcycles is towards lower and lower seats.

Us tall people are best suited towards an adventure touring bike.

The Stelvio doesn't have the deep discounts like the Norge.

Look at HD and the Evo. HD lowered the frame in 1996 if memory serves me correct, are they even lower in their current form.

How hard is it to install adjustable height seats on a motorcycle, is BMW the only one that does so?

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2016, 04:42:24 PM »
^ NP is right on. Ride what you really like. Life is too short, and there are too many great alternatives, to settle for a motorcycle that doesn't light your fire.

No matter which steed you decide on, they all need mods!  :boxing:

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2016, 04:45:48 PM »
I'm curious. It seems you are unhappy with the Norge's ergos, true, it doesn't fit everyone and sometimes no matter how much you change things, the basic machine just doesn't fit.

You miss your FJR, understandable since it is a great ST and the new ones are even better, they do check lots of boxes.

Since you've had it quite a while but put on only 100 miles, a couple of observations:

1. 100 miles isn't even enough to really know how the machine really runs. You can get some idea but that comes to what, about 2 hours worth of riding?

2. You seem to like the Norge but always come back to the ergos. Maybe the Norge just isn't for you.

JMHO but even if you changed the footrests, seat and other things to make it fit, perhaps that is trying to squeeze square pegs into round holes?

From all your posts which go back and forth but only after riding the Norge for 100 miles, maybe your best bet is to get another FJR? It isn't like the Norge is the only ST made nor is it the only ST that has whatever it is one needs from an ST or a motorcycle.

Maybe ask yourself, was there anything wrong with the FJR you had or did you just want to try the Norge and experience the Moto Guzzi mystic? OK, you've been there and done that.

Were the grins on your face any less with the FJR? From what it reads, you were thrilled with the FJR, wanted to experiment and now its time to head back to what you really want.

Going back to a FJR is not going a step down, it is happens to be what you really want and like. How can that be wrong?

The FJR needed mods too, I think the new ones have LOWERED their seats from the 1st generation?

I know the 8V seat is LOWER than the 4V.  :thewife:

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2016, 04:56:26 PM »
I have finally whittled my decision to the 2012 MG Norge or the 2013 Yamaha FJR 1300.  My heart would argue that there should not be a debate as I love the looks and character of the Norge.  However, I am still concerned about the reviews of cramped leg room.  I am 6', 210 lbs with a 34" inseam and was hoping to pick the brains of some current long of leg Norge owners for feedback.  I plan to test ride both before making the final decision but I don't know how thorough a conclusion I can come to in a 20 minute test ride. 
Also, I am coming off a 65 HP Versys, is this a logical next step in motorcycle?  I have read that the power comes on smoothly so is it pretty easy to control?  Thanks for any help and I hope to log on soon as a paying member, my friends!

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=64934.0

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2016, 04:59:15 PM »
I hate short people!  :boozing:

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2016, 05:32:26 PM »
Hard to fault you there. :boozing:
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

canuguzzi

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2016, 05:42:59 PM »
The FJR needed mods too, I think the new ones have LOWERED their seats from the 1st generation?

I know the 8V seat is LOWER than the 4V.  :thewife:

The new FJR has an adjustable seat, up/down, fore/aft. Reviews say it allows for more ego compliance.

March is just days away.

Dunno but if you wear Frankenstein sole boots that would also reduce legroom.

Or, get a cruiser, bagger or whatever and just stick your legs out ahead of you. Works for untold millions.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2016, 06:05:48 PM »
  NOTE: my inseam is 34" and stock the bike was sort of un-ride-able........ I have no idea why I brought her home.  :boozing:
if you have no idea then we sure don't. :bike-037:
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2016, 06:18:39 PM »
Seats that adjust may or may not be the answer.  It's a great idea but if the stock seat is of poor design (which they often are) then the adjustment is for naught.

As information: I deal with literally hundreds of owners of custom seats of almost every brand.  Plenty of these riders own BMW or Triumph bikes that have a seat that will adjust.  These riders tel me over and over that a bad seat is a bad seat no matter what.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

canuguzzi

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2016, 07:07:48 PM »
True^^^

Is a custom seat that can adjust better than one that can't? In other words, when you make a custom seat for a BMW or whatever that already has adjustments, do you remove the adjustability when making the custom seat or are the adjustments retained?

Since you make them, asking the source.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here