Author Topic: Re: New V9 Roamer back to dealer! Update #1 & #2 now with boot picture  (Read 9659 times)

Offline Scott DeRoss

• Gaggle Mentor
Hi everyone, I wanted to wait to show the new bike with all the accessories I had put on! I bought the bike in late May, and Picked it up July3rd , a day before my birthday! Had to wait for the accessory parts to come in.  Still have to wait for the recall parts to come in and one other accessory. And bring it back for those items when they come in.

Went for a ride locally and was getting familiar with the electronics etc.. I recalibrated the mgct (traction control) and did what the book said then (shut off the bike wait a couple minutes) restart the bike and everything should be good with the calibration, It was fine except for the engine warning light stays on!

WTF! went through it again just to be sure I did it right, Yep, that's is just fine but the warning light stays on still. Checked the book regarding the light (page 60 and so) And that is the one page that iS NOT in English. (misprint area? maybe) Also, checked the rest of the book to be sure! 

From what I can tell the engine warning light is related to oil, either low oil alarm, oil pressure sensor or maybe something else. Now it is just the light and no other display is mentioned like in the book (low oil, pressure sensor warning) Nothing like that come up on the display.

I did check the oil right away! that's ok. waited overnight to see if it was temperature related. No change. I did call the dealer asking for a mechanics advice. They said they would have him call me back---No call as of now 24hrs later

Looks like I am towing it to the dealer for them to go over it!

Oh boy! Let the fun begin!!

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:17:24 AM by Scott DeRoss »
2007 Vintage (Vinnie)
2017 V9 Roamer (Sunny)
1-76 & 3-78 Robins
1975 Honda CT90
1979 Beneli G2 moped
75 850t wifes (Plum Crazy)
79 Honda Ct70 (restored)
MGNOC L-661
Never take life so serious you won't get out of it alive

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: New V9 Roamer back to dealer!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 03:01:15 PM »
Just thinking out loud here, but have you tried disconnecting the battery for a period of time to allow any capacitors to discharge in the electronics, then reconnect it? (Maybe overnight or 24 hours?)

John Henry

Offline Scott DeRoss

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »
Just thinking out loud here, but have you tried disconnecting the battery for a period of time to allow any capacitors to discharge in the electronics, then reconnect it? (Maybe overnight or 24 hours?)

John Henry

John. Yes I did but only for a few minutes. Good point, I will go out there right now and disconnect it for the night, and check it again in the morning. Thanks!
2007 Vintage (Vinnie)
2017 V9 Roamer (Sunny)
1-76 & 3-78 Robins
1975 Honda CT90
1979 Beneli G2 moped
79 Honda Ct70 (restored)
MGNOC L-661

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 04:13:32 PM »
Actually you don't have to wait overnight. Just remove the postive lead(s) from the battery and touch it to the negative lead for a few seconds. That will discharge any residual voltage.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 04:13:32 PM »

Offline Scott DeRoss

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 04:57:12 PM »
Actually you don't have to wait overnight. Just remove the postive lead(s) from the battery and touch it to the negative lead for a few seconds. That will discharge any residual voltage.

Pete
Pete, I already disconnected the leads. In the morning I will do what you said for a few seconds and reconnect and see what happens. Thanks
I assume that is with both leads disconnected from the battery?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 04:58:56 PM by Scott DeRoss »
2007 Vintage (Vinnie)
2017 V9 Roamer (Sunny)
1-76 & 3-78 Robins
1975 Honda CT90
1979 Beneli G2 moped
79 Honda Ct70 (restored)
MGNOC L-661

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 06:47:29 PM »
Pete, I already disconnected the leads. In the morning I will do what you said for a few seconds and reconnect and see what happens. Thanks
I assume that is with both leads disconnected from the battery?
You could do it with both leads connected but stand by for a few sparks ⚡️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fatbob

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 12:03:53 AM »
When I screwed up and disconnected the positive lead whilst the negative was connected it fried the ECU on my 2007 Norge. Cost me $1,200.00.  Be careful!
Bob Lower

'07 Norge
'01 K1200LT
'10 Thunderbird
'88 FLHS
'79 R100T
'03 R1150RT
'07 GTS 250

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 09:38:40 AM »
Well??
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Scott DeRoss

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 10:23:12 PM »
Well??

Chad, nothing worked. I dropped it off at the dealer this afternoon. We shall see!
2007 Vintage (Vinnie)
2017 V9 Roamer (Sunny)
1-76 & 3-78 Robins
1975 Honda CT90
1979 Beneli G2 moped
79 Honda Ct70 (restored)
MGNOC L-661

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 07:09:32 PM »
Been a week, got it back? Lumpy said he saw it sitting there.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Scott DeRoss

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 07:51:58 PM »
Been a week, got it back? Lumpy said he saw it sitting there.

Nope, haven't heard a word since I dropped it off. What's it been now 9 days and nothing. I figured at least two weeks before I hear from them, maybe longer.
2007 Vintage (Vinnie)
2017 V9 Roamer (Sunny)
1-76 & 3-78 Robins
1975 Honda CT90
1979 Beneli G2 moped
79 Honda Ct70 (restored)
MGNOC L-661

Offline markw

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 08:09:36 AM »
Jeez,you must be a very patient fella as my head would have exploded if I had not been contacted at all after nine days!!not saying that there may not be delays in fixing the issue but just as a courtesy I would have expected some response....

Offline Scott DeRoss

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 05:05:03 PM »
Jeez,you must be a very patient fella as my head would have exploded if I had not been contacted at all after nine days!!not saying that there may not be delays in fixing the issue but just as a courtesy I would have expected some response....

Your right on both accounts. I should have been contacted by them for an update, but, I am patient and I know they are busy and understaffed I believe. I really have no choice but to be patient. I definitely agree an update would be nice.
2007 Vintage (Vinnie)
2017 V9 Roamer (Sunny)
1-76 & 3-78 Robins
1975 Honda CT90
1979 Beneli G2 moped
79 Honda Ct70 (restored)
MGNOC L-661

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 05:18:50 PM »
I'd give them a call Scott.  I'm a firm believer that the squeaky wheel gets the oil first!   It's in their interest too, to make you a happy customer of a new bike.

What color did you get, and what year?  I'm just wondering because I test road one of the first Solara Yellow ones they had, it ran and worked really well on my test ride!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:20:58 PM by bad Chad »
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 07:30:08 PM »
Yeh I can't say I like the V9 color schemes that much.

Have only seen one in the flesh though, I'm sure they look better in a diff color combo.

Offline Scott DeRoss

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 08:09:33 PM »
I'd give them a call Scott.  I'm a firm believer that the squeaky wheel gets the oil first!   It's in their interest too, to make you a happy customer of a new bike.

What color did you get, and what year?  I'm just wondering because I test road one of the first Solara Yellow ones they had, it ran and worked really well on my test ride!
Chad, the one I bought I believe is the exact same one that you test rode as well as me. It's a 2017
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:13:32 PM by Scott DeRoss »
2007 Vintage (Vinnie)
2017 V9 Roamer (Sunny)
1-76 & 3-78 Robins
1975 Honda CT90
1979 Beneli G2 moped
79 Honda Ct70 (restored)
MGNOC L-661

Offline markw

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 05:20:37 AM »
This is the conundrum , when faced with possible bad service such as people not ringing back when told will do so and then being ignored for an extended period , what is the best way to proceed bearing in mind that this outfit has custody of your bike .I am taking into account that they are the supplying dealer and are sure to promise the earth until  they have your hard-earned and then they show their true colours .For the record I would say I am patient and understanding of the other persons situation and a generally reasonable type , but how difficult is it to understand what a positive differance to customer service an update /state of play makes .Don't want to hijack this thread but how would others deal with this type of situation .

Offline wittangamo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 08:47:42 AM »
It's possible to be persistent and polite at the same time. I'd never wait for a straight answer, especially if they're not replying to messages.

There could be a legitimate reason for the delay -- waiting for a new sensor, etc. Is the bike safe to ride with the light on? If so, you could at least enjoy it while the fix is pending.

I'd call as soon as the shop opens, keep calling until a human answers, and if I didn't get an explanation I'd ask to speak to the manager.

If the manager didn't help, I'd call M-G USA. The dealership will take their calls. And I'd find out whether there's a lemon law in your state and what the dealer's status is with the BBB and the state consumer protection folks.

Doing all that without losing my temper might be difficult, but simply letting it drop is something I could never do.
Deceive, Inveigle and Obfuscate

Offline Scott DeRoss

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: New V9 Roamer back to dealer! Update #1
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 03:30:48 PM »
OK, Made a call just a few minutes ago. Talked to the mechanic who worked on the bike. He had to update the ecu and of course clear some codes. So, the engine light is not just related to possibly an oil issue, it could mean, time for a service check or vacuum leak, oil issue or some update maybe. Anyway, I will receive a call back before 6pm tonight to find out what else needs to be done. I was told by him he even did the recall that was needed. His end is done he told me. I think what's left is the original accessory part I ordered still has to come in. Also the injector rubber protection boots for the plugs are broken and need replacement. I will get a call later today for another update.
2007 Vintage (Vinnie)
2017 V9 Roamer (Sunny)
1-76 & 3-78 Robins
1975 Honda CT90
1979 Beneli G2 moped
79 Honda Ct70 (restored)
MGNOC L-661

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 03:41:27 PM »
Wow!  New bike and already recall problems.   :undecided:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline markw

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 04:41:18 PM »
Contact re-established! Hope all goes well for you now .  :smiley:

Offline Scott DeRoss

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 04:48:51 PM »
Ok, now got the call. Said they are finishing up the recall and then they will call me sometime tomorrow after the bike is completed. Then I can pick it up!! Just will have to wait for the injector plug protection boots to come in and bring it back in for that to be done. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to put enough miles on it when they do call, to get the first service done at the same time.

I looked at the parts book I have, and can't seem to find them at all after looking three times! Unless the injector and that boot are all one. It wouldn't surprise me! But, silly if that is the case.
2007 Vintage (Vinnie)
2017 V9 Roamer (Sunny)
1-76 & 3-78 Robins
1975 Honda CT90
1979 Beneli G2 moped
79 Honda Ct70 (restored)
MGNOC L-661

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: New V9 Roamer back to dealer! Update #1 & #2
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 07:24:42 AM »
Ok, now got the call. Said they are finishing up the recall and then they will call me sometime tomorrow after the bike is completed. Then I can pick it up!! Just will have to wait for the injector plug protection boots to come in and bring it back in for that to be done. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to put enough miles on it when they do call, to get the first service done at the same time.

I looked at the parts book I have, and can't seem to find them at all after looking three times! Unless the injector and that boot are all one. It wouldn't surprise me! But, silly if that is the case.
Seems a bit odd that they are broken already, hope you have her safely back home by now

Offline Scott DeRoss

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 02:38:57 PM »
Seems a bit odd that they are broken already, hope you have her safely back home by now

Got the call earlier today. Picking her up Monday (tomorrow) But, I have to wait for the rubber boots and still waiting for the rear brake protection plate to come in (last accessory). Again, I hope I can put enough mileage on this bike to have those parts put on at the same time I get my first service.
2007 Vintage (Vinnie)
2017 V9 Roamer (Sunny)
1-76 & 3-78 Robins
1975 Honda CT90
1979 Beneli G2 moped
79 Honda Ct70 (restored)
MGNOC L-661

Offline organfixsing

• Hatchling
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 06:26:49 AM »
Never heard of Injector rubber projection boots for the plugs. They are pulling wool over your eyes. The nearest thing would be the rubber connection boots for the spark plugs. If this is the case, the original spark plug connectors are prone to bad connections and acrcing (if they are like the V7II items). The better boots (connectors ) are NGK items, but, you have to change the plugs to CPR?EA-09 items.
I can give you details of the connectors tomorrow if required.
Cheers
Brian
If you remove the wings of a fly, does that make it a walk?

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 07:29:15 AM »
You guys are a real bunch of "downers".  Simple fixes and he should be looking to have the lemon law buy it back?  Now the dealer is lying to him.  All that's  missing from this thread is needing the engine rebuilt!
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 08:26:26 AM »
You guys are a real bunch of "downers".  Simple fixes and he should be looking to have the lemon law buy it back?  Now the dealer is lying to him.  All that's  missing from this thread is needing the engine rebuilt!

I think most of the issues were/are communication. If you don't hear what's going on and you are without a bike for long, it's not so much "what's wrong' as it is will they ever get to it. It sounds like they are now on it and communicating so that's all behind him. Letting people sit in the dark can invoke all sorts of scenarios... none of which is generally positive.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Scott DeRoss

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 09:01:30 AM »
Never heard of Injector rubber projection boots for the plugs. They are pulling wool over your eyes. The nearest thing would be the rubber connection boots for the spark plugs. If this is the case, the original spark plug connectors are prone to bad connections and acrcing (if they are like the V7II items). The better boots (connectors ) are NGK items, but, you have to change the plugs to CPR?EA-09 items.
I can give you details of the connectors tomorrow if required.
Cheers
Brian

I am the one that brought it to there attention. It is definitely not spark plug boots. These go right to the injectors. Maybe I will take a picture of the problem and area and post later.
2007 Vintage (Vinnie)
2017 V9 Roamer (Sunny)
1-76 & 3-78 Robins
1975 Honda CT90
1979 Beneli G2 moped
79 Honda Ct70 (restored)
MGNOC L-661

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Re: New V9 Roamer back to dealer! Update #1 & #2
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2017, 09:49:34 AM »
Every place I worked at, we had to check for all updates & recalls, tech bull and such before the bike went out, plus program and have bike ready 10mi . It was a demo, you would think they were up on it already.
Fairly new huge dealer, selling a few and trying to do good. My nephew been doing old British work on weekends there for years. He does stuff w/points & pushrods, even some service on old Guzzis.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline passator cortese

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2017, 04:15:27 PM »
Actually, the injector boots on the V9 are prone to crack and they're usually replaced at no cost at the dealership surging the regular maintenance.

There's a recall (at least in Europe) for some V9s to install a little piece of metal between the ABS and some brake hoses I believe, but it seems just a precaution by Moto Guzzi, nothing really serious about safety concern.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here