Author Topic: Norton and Motus  (Read 12643 times)

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
Norton and Motus
« on: July 14, 2017, 06:08:00 AM »
I know this is a Guzzi site, but you guys here seem enlightened to acknowledge other brands. Stopped by a new Ducati store, they have taken on Norton and Motus.
 I was impressed by both

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:09:13 AM by Chesterfield »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Norton and Motus
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 06:49:20 AM »
I hope they kept their day job .... those are niche, boutique motorcycles that cost a fortune.

Both beautiful, and I'd love to have either one of them, but even I, who could probably scrape up the money to buy one and love the concept and execution, won't be unbelting for one ... And I'm the target market demographic.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 07:08:26 AM »
Try to get a test ride on the Motus.

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 07:38:38 AM »
I hope they kept their day job .... those are niche, boutique motorcycles that cost a fortune.

Both beautiful, and I'd love to have either one of them, but even I, who could probably scrape up the money to buy one and love the concept and execution, won't be unbelting for one ... And I'm the target market demographic.

Lannis

Motus = $35K-$38K+... :rolleyes: :huh: :shocked: ...and the Norton 961 is $25K-$28K+

I like them both as well, but way, way, WAY out of my financial league.  However, if I won the LOTTERY, I would buy one of each!!  :laugh: :grin: :wink: :cool:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 07:38:38 AM »

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 07:42:27 AM »
They are bikes with a very small demographic target.

I have been following Motus since they announced plans and a sketch in a Cycle World article ~2010. I was all-in...until they announced pricing. $32k/$37k is just not something that I could justify for a single bike.

Then I get a call two weeks ago today...A Motus owner traded in a 2017 MSTR after putting on 2800 miles because it triggered his vertigo. The bike was back at the dealer and for sale. The price point was exactly where my limit was just before pricing was announced. There would be very little chance to buy a fully loaded MSTR with this few miles at that price. I bought one.

I highly suggest a test ride if you are at all interested. It is an amazing bike that has very high spec components with excellent fit and finish.

I'll be posting my experience, mods, finds, etc. here: https://motusmstr.blogspot.com/

Offline Spokane2303

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 07:59:26 AM »
Kirb, what a beautiful motorcycle!

Keep us updated on your ongoing experience.  :popcorn:

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 08:07:51 AM »
You got The One.  Nothing like it on the road today.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 09:03:24 AM »
I, who could probably scrape up the money to buy one and love the concept and execution, won't be unbelting for one ... And I'm the target market demographic.

Lannis

Then, probably you're not!    :kiss:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 09:22:48 AM »
Then, probably you're not!    :kiss:

You can shoot at a target without hitting it, but it's still the target ....  :laugh:

I have SERIOUSLY considered a Motus.   I already have a Norton.    I could sell the Triumph and the Norton and have most of the money I need for a Motus.   I get Motus updates sent to my Email box.  I've gone to look at them ....

.... and I suspect that the above puts me in about .04% or less of the population of the United States, so that sounds like "target demographic" to me!

Lannis

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 09:48:15 AM »
I don't want a test ride.  I'm afraid I would be intoxicated by its power, and I can't afford to buy one!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 09:53:48 AM »

Then I get a call two weeks ago today...A Motus owner traded in a 2017 MSTR. 
There would be very little chance to buy a fully loaded MSTR with this few miles at that price. I bought one.

:thumb:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 09:58:30 AM »
You can shoot at a target without hitting it, but it's still the target ....  :laugh:

I have SERIOUSLY considered a Motus.   I already have a Norton.    I could sell the Triumph and the Norton and have most of the money I need for a Motus.   I get Motus updates sent to my Email box.  I've gone to look at them ....

.... and I suspect that the above puts me in about .04% or less of the population of the United States, so that sounds like "target demographic" to me!

Lannis

So, then, why won't you be "unbelting" for a Motus ?
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 10:02:06 AM »
I saw them and sat on one in Vegas last January.   :thumb: :1: :cool: Very tasty...on all fronts. 

Can you imagine 180 HP as well?  YIKES!  They are very "Guzzi-like" in a high-performance sort of way.  Solo sport-touring at its finest... :thumb:  If I had the money, I would get one... :cool:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

canuck750

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 10:06:48 AM »
I really like the idea of one of these, pricey but not in comparison to the other two brands mentioned.

https://robinsclassicmotorcycles.com/1974-norton-norvil-920cc-commando-product-racer-18900/

1974 Norton Norvil 850cc Commando Product Racer Reduced to: $16,900

kirby1923

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 10:07:57 AM »
I did ride a MOTUS once, belonged to a friend of mine. He loves it to this day. I would not rate it any higher than a newer R1200R beemer but to be fair I only put about 20 miles on it although mostly curvy mountain roads.
Its a stunning looker, but my caper with Italian sports cars taught me a valuable!!! lesson.

OuCH! A Healey will do.

:-)

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 10:25:42 AM »
Solo sport-touring at its finest... :thumb: 

I see a back seat, there.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 10:27:01 AM »
OuCH! A Healey will do.
I had a new 3000 back in the day. I was a kid and couldn't break it.. it must have been indestructible.   :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 10:30:29 AM »
So, then, why won't you be "unbelting" for a Motus ?

1) I like the Norton and won't be selling it for seed money.

2) We bought a new Triumph Trophy that does 90% of what the Motus will do at half the price.   If we hadn't already done it, I might go mad and pay another $16,000 for 10% more capability, but I'm not going to reverse that action.

And (with only 50K on the Stelvio and 10K on the Triumph), by the time these bikes need to be replaced, I'll be out of the 600+ lb bike market forever ....  :sad:

Lannis

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 10:45:01 AM »
I see a back seat, there.

The wife rates the back seat a close second to the Stelvio in comfort. She could tour on this without issue.

It came with the rear rack/Givi trunk. I took it off as it doesn't look great on this bike. It takes 4 bolts to put it back. Not a big deal.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 11:02:03 AM »
I had a new 3000 back in the day. I was a kid and couldn't break it.. it must have been indestructible.   :smiley:
A good friend's older brother owned a bar, which occupied nearly every evening.  He also owned an AH3000, which he generously loaned us any evening he worked.  This was in 1963, as I recall, and the car had been purchased used with practically no miles.  Loved that beauty!  4 spd with Laycock de Normanville overdrive in top 3 gears.  And I think an unusual model, equipped with 3 SU sidedrafts.

Before he loaned us the 3000 first time, he ran us thru the drill of erecting the top and side curtains.  If the rain started before the top was up, it was already too late.
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 11:09:41 AM »
  We bought a new Triumph Trophy that does 90% of what the Motus will do at half the price.   If we hadn't already done it, I might go mad and pay another $16,000 for 10% more capability, but I'm not going to reverse that action.

I think the Motus demographic is professionals who are willing (and able) to pay the extra money for that "10% more capability".  And quality of components.  Not to mention the exclusivity.

That's OK.  I'm not currently in their demographic, either.  You're not willing.  I'm not able!

LOL!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 11:21:05 AM »
The Motus I get but not sure I understand the Norton concept.  A full on restoration of an 850 would be cheaper (and cooler).
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 11:24:09 AM »
I really like the idea of one of these, pricey but not in comparison to the other two brands mentioned.

https://robinsclassicmotorcycles.com/1974-norton-norvil-920cc-commando-product-racer-18900/

1974 Norton Norvil 850cc Commando Product Racer Reduced to: $16,900

Looks like a good price & a beautiful bike, I think I would be figuring a complete front brake upgrade though. These discs and calipers look awfully small

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 11:26:55 AM »
The Motus I get but not sure I understand the Norton concept.  A full on restoration of an 850 would be cheaper (and cooler).

Yeah, but a restored Norton would never perform or handle like the new "Norton".

Have you seen one in person?  Suspension and brakes like no vintage Norton ever dreamed of. 

The vintage Nortons are cool, but if you want a "Norton" to ride every day, the new ones are better motorcycles.

Not unlike how the Polaris Indian Chief is a much better "motorcycle" than a vintage Chief.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:38:45 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 12:09:27 PM »
I think the Motus demographic is professionals who are willing (and able) to pay the extra money for that "10% more capability".  And quality of components.  Not to mention the exclusivity.

That's OK.  I'm not currently in their demographic, either.  You're not willing.  I'm not able!

LOL!

You keep using that word ... I do not think it means what you think it means.   The "demographic" to which these bikes are marketed is a POOL, a segment of society, not the specific subset of people who actually bought the bike.

You and I and very many of the people on this list ARE in this dealer's target demographic.   My sister, the local aluminum can collector on the moped, Stephen Hawking, and Jose Portalez the sheepherder in Colorado are not, just as a few examples.

Lannis

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 12:11:55 PM »
The wife rates the back seat a close second to the Stelvio in comfort. She could tour on this without issue.

It came with the rear rack/Givi trunk. I took it off as it doesn't look great on this bike. It takes 4 bolts to put it back. Not a big deal.

This is my two-up bike now, 2014 Victory Vision Tour, aka "Moby Dick" - The Great White Whale....and the wife LOVES riding on the back...so I am all set in that arena. :thumb: :1: :cool:

upload pictures online privately

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2017, 12:15:28 PM »
This is my two-up bike now, 2014 Victory Vision Tour, aka "Moby Dick" - The Great White Whale....and the wife LOVES riding on the back...so I am all set in that arena. :thumb: :1: :cool:

upload pictures online privately

Never quite understood the "Moby Dick" reference til I saw that picture.    "Thar she BLOOOOOOWS!  She be a MONSTER, cap'n".    But on a two-up bike, as I well know, passenger comfort comes first.   Nothing else works or matters until that's addressed satisfactorily, and by that I mean to HER satisfaction .... !

Lannis

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 12:32:21 PM »

You and I and very many of the people on this list ARE in this dealer's target demographic.   My sister, the local aluminum can collector on the moped, Stephen Hawking, and Jose Portalez the sheepherder in Colorado are not, just as a few examples.

Lannis

Jose rides a Ducati.  I met him during our NAR in 2013.   :bike-037:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »

Looks like a good price & a beautiful bike, I think I would be figuring a complete front brake upgrade though. These discs and calipers look awfully small

I can say with certainty those brakes are better than the stock drum but nowhere near up to modern standards. Given the engine upgrade I am surprised the brakes weren't upgraded as well. The rear drum on the quick change wheel is about useless on this bike as well.
A closer look at this bike it has the early 8" Dunstalls that he produced around 1968. Mine are the later 9" versions. Makes the brakes on the bike above even wimpier.
 I did a couple of track days on my bike and the fronts faded after two laps.
I would buy a new Nort if there was a dealer closer to me.
'71 With many mods.

Pete
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:15:42 PM by PeteS »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 12:50:14 PM »

I had a friend that had a 100-6? Austin Healy w/electric over drive on I believe 3rd & 4th gears.  I blew off a 409 Chevy once with it. It was nice except for 1 weakness.........no synchro 1st gear that had to be replaced every X thousand miles.  :huh:   

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here