Author Topic: Motorcycling Death Risks  (Read 16551 times)

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Motorcycling Death Risks
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2017, 12:25:28 PM »

I ride so your kid has someone to look up to! 

I may have to borrow that line, sometime!   :thumb:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2017, 01:14:01 PM »
I've been riding over 55 years and maybe some day I'll give it up.  But there's just something about it that keeps me doing it.  I don't live in a city so maybe that helps.  Don't have that many close calls and when I do crash it's always at a slow speed.  There have been times when I figure if I'm going to die riding it's going to happen quick and there might not even be any pain, like the time I was dodging lightning strikes on both sides of the road in Nevada for an hour @ 65 mph until I could get away from the storm.  :evil:   Or when I put my tent under a tree knowing that's a good way to get killed by lightning, but it doesn't happen.  Or the time again in Nevada when my wife Judy got struck by lightning on the back of our Convert. on Hwy. 50 when we were going to the Datil, NM rally.  :shocked:    She was in pain for weeks and I didn't feel a thing.  So yeah, I kind of agree when your time is up, it's up.  I'd rather go out that way than live a long time in pain-misery.  I had a Dr. who said we are all born terminal.  :bow:

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2017, 02:27:05 PM »
I some times wonder on days that I didn't get a chance to ride if it may have saved my life.

Then there's been times when I couldn't ride for a week or two and I wanted to jump off a bridge.

If you have doubts about why your still riding it may be time to reconsider.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2017, 03:19:19 PM »
Risk management or consequence management? Hell, everything in life is a trade-off. My mother gave me grief for years about riding. Then she went and broke her femur...at her weekly quilting group. Our very lives depend on the narrowest of margins politically, environmentally; even accidently. Why half-step in this limited appearance of ours? I'd like to think that I was a good steward of my consciousness.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2017, 03:19:19 PM »

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2017, 03:41:05 PM »
I like the "big view." Seeing what you cannot see in a car. I like rolling over the earth. Being in a busy traffic region scares the crap out of me, so I ride out on the edge of town. After I retire, my town riding will be even more rare. I will likely take trailer/ camping trips more often. Haul a little bike out to the hills, take my chances with coyotes and deer. I got a 3 wheeler for those days my balance is a little off. I was "lucky" enough to have had a life changing wreck as a young man. I now feel zero pressure to compete, chase thrills, impress anyone. Fun! Pleasure!
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2017, 03:55:29 PM »
FWIW, my father died at 57 (skin cancer).  He never rode a motorcycle.  He liked fast cars in his youth but lived as a science teacher so could not afford such cars on his salary.  His hobby was reading.  I consider his life to have been as full as anyone's out there.

OTOH, if you want to ride, then not an issue with me.

Just to make another point.  Who is to say that being a couch potato is not just as fulfilling to some?  As long as people enjoy themselves don't cast stones because of their choices. 

Just be glad you can make a choice.  Some in this world cannot.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2017, 04:10:19 PM »
Motorcycling is a "managed risk" and dangerous for sure, but for me, the rewards far outweigh the risks.

Sums it up for me JJ.

One of the most difficult explanations I find is to explain the absolute joys of motorcycling to a person who thinks motorcycles should be banned because it is just too dangerous. Is it their fear of going outside the box a bit, thinking old, scared of the unknown? Don't know. I have been on bikes now for about 52 years and I am not sure still as to WHY I love it, I just know that I do. <shrug>
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Bill N

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2017, 04:32:01 PM »
This is a good thread because it provokes thought. I believe every rider should think about the risk versus gain. Keep reevaluating as you get older. There may be a point when you detect you are not top of your game and should either moderate your riding style of maybe say, "I'm done." My riding aggressiveness really changed after age 60, so I'm thankful for the many years of safe sporting rides. But now like others wrote I'm enjoying the ride but not so much looking for a thrill. I'm pushing age 70 now and try to keep watch on my deteriorating skills and suggest all oldsters do the same.
Bill 

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2017, 04:46:53 PM »
This is a good thread because it provokes thought. I believe every rider should think about the risk versus gain. Keep reevaluating as you get older. There may be a point when you detect you are not top of your game and should either moderate your riding style of maybe say, "I'm done." My riding aggressiveness really changed after age 60, so I'm thankful for the many years of safe sporting rides. But now like others wrote I'm enjoying the ride but not so much looking for a thrill. I'm pushing age 70 now and try to keep watch on my deteriorating skills and suggest all oldsters do the same.
Bill

Well said Bill...My "GO-FAST Days" are long over, and I don't have to prove anything to anyone.   

Slower and conservative riding is safer...and especially over age 60. :wink:

I have a good friend in Oregon, who rode for many, many years and one day, (after dropping his bike several times at the gas pump...) decided he really could NOT manage two wheels anymore. 

He was ready to quit and throw in the towel.  I talked him into 3-wheels, and now he has a Can-Am RT with a trailer, his wife rides with him again, he is "in the wind" again ....and he is happy as a lark! :1: :thumb: :cool:

Certainly a much better alternative than sitting on the couch with the TV remote...and waiting to die.... :cool:

Riding is living...(IMHO) :wink:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2017, 04:55:23 PM »
An interesting thread. My pastime prior to this was freedive spearfishing, which was largely looking like a seal floating on the surface and putting blood in the water when you got lucky.

While we were in the highest risk group for shark encounters, I'll wager that was still safer than motorcycling on the streets.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 05:02:55 PM »
An interesting thread. My pastime prior to this was freedive spearfishing, which was largely looking like a seal floating on the surface and putting blood in the water when you got lucky.

While we were in the highest risk group for shark encounters, I'll wager that was still safer than motorcycling on the streets.

OK...after that little vision....at the end of the day, I will gladly take my chances with MOTORCYCLES anytime over this nightmare...(Thank you very much!!)  :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh: :laugh: :grin: :wink:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2017, 05:26:42 PM »
For another perspective....a BIG thumbs up to this rider for turning over 1,000,000 miles on his Gold Wing (from new!!)  :thumb: :thumb: :1: :1: :cool: :cool:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2017, 05:52:26 PM »
We had a MC/car fatality here in Springfield, Mo. Saturday night.
http://www.ky3.com/content/news/434744513.html
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2017, 07:46:50 PM »
"Not" night riding is one way I manage my risk.....

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2017, 08:04:44 PM »
For another perspective....a BIG thumbs up to this rider for turning over 1,000,000 miles on his Gold Wing (from new!!)  :thumb: :thumb: :1: :1: :cool: :cool:

I wonder if it is like Granddads old axe, the same axe but with 5 replaced handles and two new heads. :undecided:
03 Breva

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2017, 08:07:45 PM »
"Not" night riding is one way I manage my risk.....

That one got me thinking as well. Because a lot of my early long rides happened at night by necessity, I find I still enjoy riding at night. Out here of course our bambis tend to stay on the mountain tops and not try to outrun traffic. Possums and rabbits are survivable.
03 Breva

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2017, 08:16:07 PM »
Never confuse a long life, with an interesting one.
Riding bikes, flying fighters, and loving women are all dangerous, but dayum!!!
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2017, 08:16:29 PM »
The roads seem more dangerous today than ever before.  The advent of the smartphone has done much to contribute to this.

I also ride bicycles. 

I used to sprint up to a nearby town about 15 miles away on weekends but that little excursion has taken a dangerous turn in recent years.  People are talking and texting on their phones while they drive and, more than once, I've been forced into the weeds to avoid collision with a driver so occupied in an oncoming car. 

I've taken to violating the traditional rules of riding with traffic flow and now ride against the grain so I can at least see someone drifting over to hit me and take evasive action.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:18:18 PM by leafman60 »

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2017, 08:21:53 PM »
Isn't riding a bicycle more dangerous than riding a motorcycle, at least in the United States?
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2017, 08:24:26 PM »
Lots of Great White shark sightings in San Diego County recently. I still surf - but not by the seal rookery. (aka the shark's salad bar). Managed risk. I like seeing dolphins, cuz they don't hang with sharks.

Lots of distracted drivers out there too... so I manage risks when I split lanes and navigate intersections. And I "commuted" 100 miles in the dark this morning to Los Angeles airport. I wore some extra reflective stuff.

Thrill vs. joy... to me that's short-term vs. long-term. I get thrill when I crack the throttle open on a mountain grade (see upcoming San Diego not-a-rally for details). I have joy just from being around motorcycles and riding whenever possible, even if it's just to the store to get eggs.

And the whole fate vs. freewill discussion... well, that's a much more enjoyable conversation in person. San Diego rally campfire topic?
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2017, 08:25:18 PM »
Isn't riding a bicycle more dangerous than riding a motorcycle, at least in the United States?

A bicycle CAN be dangerous- especially alone in heavy road traffic.  Most of my riding is now with mountain bikes on dirt trails etc.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:27:30 PM by leafman60 »

Offline neverquit

• Hatchling
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2017, 08:34:11 PM »
I've known four people to die on motorcycles, a brother-in-law, a family friend, a kid I knew while in college, and the husband of a friend.  Three of those four would have been minor accidents had they been wearing helmets.  So I think about it and I wear my helmet, ride only in the day, avoid high traffic times like when school or workplaces are letting out and avoid times and areas where deer are active.  I live in a rural area and avoid busy roads.  And this year, after a close call last fall, I started wearing a high visibility jacket.  It looks stupid but people see it.  I've been riding for about 60 years and I am hoping I can ride another couple and do it without getting hurt.  I still ride fast and still have fun but I'm real careful about doing it.

When I was younger I commuted on a motorcycle but today with all the distracted and uncaring drivers I would not do it.

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2017, 08:44:09 PM »
Old lady ran a stop sign and I parked my water buffalo in her Buick Lesabre at 50mph.  I was lucky to walk away from that one.  Spent three months in ICU with pneumonia, I was lucky to walk away from that one too.  It's been proven that if  you live long enough something will kill you. I just hope its something I enjoy.
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2017, 09:27:41 PM »

Several university studies here in Australia found that 80% of bicycle accidents were the cars fault. Buying a V7 recently has cut into my cycling time lately but I feel motorcycling is more dangerous than cycling. I say that as someone who has traveled thousands of km/miles on a loaded bicycle in Australia and Asia. In fact I felt safer more often in Thailand than I do in Oz.

A friend from my bike club was killed last month on a cycle tour. Hit by a car from behind. 65 and fit as they come, recently retired and had moved into a new home the week before. You never know what's around the corner so I try not to worry about it but if I become overly concerned about it I probably need to re-evaluate.

Offline huklbery

• New Egg
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2017, 09:42:26 PM »
https://youtu.be/j3kFQPu4kuk

A good video for describing the balance of risk vs enjoyment of riding.  My go fast days are long gone but still enjoy it.

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2017, 10:15:12 PM »
" Another friend riding in a group with me recently had his left leg completely severed when he ran off the road and sideswiped a parked car."

Yeah, that wasn't a particularly good day, I don't think that I road a bike for about a month after that accident.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »
I wonder if it is like Granddads old axe, the same axe but with 5 replaced handles and two new heads. :undecided:

Might be - but axes don't have VINs or engine numbers!
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2017, 10:20:41 PM »

Lots of Great White shark sightings in San Diego County recently. I still surf - but not by the seal rookery. (aka the shark's salad bar). Managed risk. I like seeing dolphins, cuz they don't hang with sharks.

And the whole fate vs. freewill discussion... well, that's a much more enjoyable conversation in person. San Diego rally campfire topic?

Diving up in British Columbia, the only dolphins are black and white, and you don't wanna be near them (especially near seals and seal lions!). Another case of managed risk...  :evil:

And you're right, that is a great campfire topic. Might add to the balance in making me want to head down to SD (though I may be diving elsewhere at the time, in a place with no seals, sea lions, orcas or great whites - but it does have tigers, bulls, and a lotta reef!).
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2017, 10:31:27 PM »
OK...after that little vision....at the end of the day, I will gladly take my chances with MOTORCYCLES anytime over this nightmare...(Thank you very much!!)  :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh: :laugh: :grin: :wink:

Ah, [JJ] .... Actually, that's one of my choices for how I'd like to go.

It will make a much better story than dying in bed. And I spent a couple of years as an auto mechanic - better a great white than under a car.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2017, 08:16:06 AM »
Ah, [JJ] .... Actually, that's one of my choices for how I'd like to go.

It will make a much better story than dying in bed. And I spent a couple of years as an auto mechanic - better a great white than under a car.

normzone - - while I agree about NOT wanting to die in bed...or crushed under a car...being "mouthed and eaten" by a Great White Shark is the stuff of nightmares for me...and have another close look at those photos.....again..."NO THANKS!!"  :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh:  I'll gladly ride off the cliff somewhere on my bike first  :laugh: :grin: :wink:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here