Author Topic: Too hot and muggy in my shop  (Read 5680 times)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Too hot and muggy in my shop
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 12:46:19 PM »
For a shop that already has heat, that's quite an investment compared to under $500 for a window unit, on sale now.

Yep.  Above my pay grade.   I'll work it with fans, timing, and evaporative cooling (sweat)!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Porterhouse

• GRiSO / Stelvio - A One and-a Two
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • GRiSO, he speaks to you, no?
    • the GRiSO ghetto
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 12:46:59 PM »
For a shop that already has heat, that's quite an investment compared to under $500 for a window unit, on sale now.

And then there's the efficiency costs, which are very attractive for the mini-split systems.

@ 24,000 BTU 20.5 SEER unit:

AHRI Estimated Annual Operating Costs:

Cooling: $148.00
    Heating: $505.00

GRiSOghetto - all GRiSO, all the time...  |  Life ain't easy for a boy named Sue - RIP my best friend...

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2017, 01:47:12 PM »
For $3,000 I could hire a hot biker babe to bring me a cold beer and not worry about the humidity LOL   :boozing:
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2017, 02:57:42 PM »
Here in Folsom when it get's above 100 I just get up at 3 or 4 am and work in the garage until 10 or so in the morning.  I had to do the same thing decades ago when I was pouring concrete or framing.  only back then we lasted until 2:30 or so
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2017, 02:57:42 PM »

Offline danedg

• New Egg
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2017, 07:45:36 AM »
I've got an excellent spanner I made for getting the nut off. My problem is I can't get the muffler off the header pipe.  I don't want to cut the header or the muffler.  got it soaking in white vinegar right now to see if that will do anygood.

I vividly remember the first time I tried separating the exhaust from the bike. Ended up with a very fancy 2x4 and a dead blow hammer to first remove the xover. Then I could deal with the header/muffler OFF the bike, that still entailed much beating before it gave it up. Greg Bender offers this tidbit suggested by his Dad, to schmeer the slip joints with Permatex Red Hi Temp Gasket Goo upon reassembly. You'll never have to smash your exhaust system apart again. :thumb:
'74 Eldo
'65 R60/2
'68 R60US
'54 R51/3
'78 Honda Hawk
'95 Mystic

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2017, 04:14:13 PM »
I hadn't even heard the term "mini-split" system since a year or so ago, when some in-laws of mine retrofitted a really old farmhouse with them.   Really effective for the application they used, although I didn't ask about the price.   Something to look into .... !

Lannis

What you call "mini-splits" Lannis are really popular out here. With what can be called at times relatively hot summers and quite cold winters they give the best of both worlds. Not quite sure how true it is but I have been told that the ones built for the NZ-Ozzie market are a bit different in that they throw out a higher heat content than the cold option. The one we have in out open plan kitchen/dining room is 5.8kw on heating and 5.0 on cooling.

If the OP goes that way I would strongly suggest to stay away from any Euro designed models (e.g. Esair, LG, DeLonghi). The Japanese designed ones tend to be all pretty good, but for Hiwalls the Mitsubishi Electric would be my favourite, followed by Daikin.

Bill Hagan did some research on them for his Moto Grappa and got what I would think was a pretty good price for a Mitsubishi Electric model. (Can't quite remember what it was now)
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here