Author Topic: my favorite bbq joint!  (Read 7405 times)

Offline bacongrease

• Gosling
Re: my favorite bbq joint!
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 09:19:15 PM »
 Mesquite is a noxious weed...who would cook with that unless no other wood is found.  (I tell my TX family and friends.)

Heavy on the Vinegar ....they used to pour the vinegar on meat that has started to turn.....or more. 

My personal bias.   :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2017, 06:35:53 AM »
Jacks stack in Martin city mo. (South Kansas City) city butcher in Springfield mo. And my big green egg. I can cook a slab of baby backs so good it'll make you slap your momma !
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2017, 08:18:43 AM »
It's been a while, but I recall that the Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood, Texas was pretty incredible. The brisket and the smoked sausage was superb...

http://saltlickbbq.com/driftwood-directions/

Yep, they are pretty darn good.
If nothing else, just the experience of the place makes it worth while.
I have a couple of bottles of Salt Lick rub in the kitchen.

A bunch of places in and around Austin....and the guy down the street from me !

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »
Poole's - Ellijay GA

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2017, 10:00:53 AM »
 I'm not much of a meat eater, especially when it's got messy sugar based sauce on it, but I would like to sample some of the places mentioned just to see what others consider good BBQ... I did sample ribs from a place in Watkins Glenn that was a dry rub that I liked...

Offline cj750

• Gaggle Mentor
  • "Viva tutte le cose Italiane"
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2017, 10:23:16 AM »
I can confirm that Rivertowne in Ozark is very good. Well worth a stop if you're in the area. However my favorite Arkansas BBQ place (so far, I haven't tried them all, yet) is McClard's in Hot Springs. Their Q has a distinct savory flavor I've not found anywhere else. Plus you can get your brisket, pork or ribs with a side of homemade tamales that are outstanding in their own right.
Then again, when I was watching Predator I didn't think two members of its cast would become governors, either. So you never know.

Offline troyhamilton

• Gaggle Hero
  • Dr frankie
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2017, 10:31:26 AM »
cj750 is there anything decent up in the Gentry or Benton Co.area? were from there but cant afford to live there any more.
Dr Frankie!
1967 v7, gone
heldorado, gone
1975 850-t gone
1974 850-t gone.
2002 Jackal!
we need a tech section!

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2017, 11:42:38 AM »
I'm not much of a meat eater, especially when it's got messy sugar based sauce on it, but I would like to sample some of the places mentioned just to see what others consider good BBQ... I did sample ribs from a place in Watkins Glenn that was a dry rub that I liked...

Dry rub is most common in Memphis (where they put sauce on at the end, but you can ask for it on the side) and especially Texas (where in the Hill Country they only put sauce on if you ask for it). Other places use it but invariably put sauce on as well and they look at you funny if you ask for it dry. The dry rub approach shows up here and there across the country, but those two areas are where it dominates.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline cj750

• Gaggle Mentor
  • "Viva tutte le cose Italiane"
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2017, 11:43:49 AM »
cj750 is there anything decent up in the Gentry or Benton Co.area? were from there but cant afford to live there any more.

Troy:

Nothing outstanding, BBQ wise, in Siloam Springs or Gentry. Although I'd include the Siloam Springs Rib Crib in the "decent" category. It's surprisingly good, for a chain. But my favorite Northwest Arkansas BBQ is Penguin Ed's, out of Fayetteville.
Then again, when I was watching Predator I didn't think two members of its cast would become governors, either. So you never know.

Offline troyhamilton

• Gaggle Hero
  • Dr frankie
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2017, 12:17:51 PM »
weve been away 15 years. looks funny these days.
Dr Frankie!
1967 v7, gone
heldorado, gone
1975 850-t gone
1974 850-t gone.
2002 Jackal!
we need a tech section!

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2017, 12:42:29 PM »
Agree, there is no 'best' joint.

Favorites
Little Pigs Columbia, SC
Mr Powdrell's Albuquerque, NM

I also like Rudy's if I can't find anything else.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline keuka4884

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2017, 01:00:27 PM »
Hands down it's Dinosaur BBQ. They do Memphis style dry rub ribs. Beyond awesome. The best place is their original in Syracuse, but Rochester is not far behind. We have been going to the Dino since 1988, just after they opened in Syracuse. A bunch of Harley bikers started it. After almost 30 years there is still a 1 1/2 hour wait on weekends. Worth every minute of the wait.

The one place I would like to go to is Arthur Bryant's in KC. They have the best original sauce. I will make it there someday.

1978 850 T3
2017 Lincoln Continental Black Label
1996 Cadillac Eldorado Coach Builders convertible

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2017, 04:13:26 PM »
The one place I would like to go to is Arthur Bryant's in KC. They have the best original sauce. I will make it there someday.

Just goes to show different tastes for different folks. Don't really care for Arthur Bryant's sauce. I would rate it a five on a ten point scale.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2017, 05:31:07 PM »
Hands down it's Dinosaur BBQ. They do Memphis style dry rub ribs. Beyond awesome. The best place is their original in Syracuse, but Rochester is not far behind. We have been going to the Dino since 1988, just after they opened in Syracuse. A bunch of Harley bikers started it. After almost 30 years there is still a 1 1/2 hour wait on weekends. Worth every minute of the wait.

I'm not a big fan of AB's myself, I've been there quite a few times when I lived in KC. all the visitors wanted to go there. It's a dry rub, that's not my bag.....subjective I know. Jack Stack in Martin City is my go to for BBQ in KC. And right across the street is Jess & Jim's steak house, an even better spot for dinner : )And even a Guzzi shop nearby!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 05:34:03 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2017, 09:49:01 AM »
John- I think Jack Sac is really good for wet BBQ.   I prefer dry rub with finishing sauce and have a preference to Arthur Bryants.  I'd like to try Okla Joes sometime.

In so far as chains go, I'll take Billy Sims all over Sonnys, Rudys or Rib Crib.  Our local Billy's has as good of spare ribs (st louis cut) that you might find anywhere. 

Anytime you fire up that green egg, I want to have a plate and a fork.  Or at least a napkin.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Moto

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2017, 10:11:55 AM »
Payne's in Memphis is my personal favorite -- pulled pork w/ atomic green cole slaw dressing, in an old gas station.

I was surprised to find very good pulled pork in Des Moines recently -- Smokey D's BBQ.

Wish either of them were closer to me.

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2017, 09:56:00 PM »
Had ribs from City BBQ in Columbus OH tonight for dinner. They were FANTASTIC!

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here