Author Topic: BSA is back  (Read 12675 times)

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
BSA is back
« on: July 25, 2017, 07:49:47 AM »

"....Mahindra also acquired legendary British bike brand BSA as well as Jawa. Now it seems that the company plans to up its motorcycle game by producing new BSAs and Jaws as part of a campaign to supplement their commuter bikes with upscale "premium" motorcycles."

http://www.rideapart.com/articles/bsa-back-mahindra-announces-return-storied-british-marque

1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Re: BSA is back
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 08:00:08 AM »
Never owned a BSA or JAWA but always liked them both.  We'll see what they come up with.

My all time favorite BSA is a 1967 BSA A65L Lightning. :thumb: :cool: 

The JAWA 350 Californian was also interesting.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:55:52 AM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline troyhamilton

• Gaggle Hero
  • Dr frankie
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 09:00:12 AM »
I had a 68 BSA Thunderbolt! cool old bike but the kicker gear always jammed and broke teeth
Dr Frankie!
1967 v7, gone
heldorado, gone
1975 850-t gone
1974 850-t gone.
2002 Jackal!
we need a tech section!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 10:54:22 AM »
Never owned a BSA or JAWA but always liked them both.  We'll see what they come up with.

It'll be some built-to-a-price Indian thing that has nothing to do with BSA or Jawa, just uses the badges and name.

Kind of like naming a mediocre ball player George Herman Ruth and touting him as "Babe Ruth is BACK!!"

If they still sold a two-stroke Jawa 350 Californian here, I'd buy one in a second.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 10:54:22 AM »

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 11:00:09 AM »
QUOTE:  If they still sold a two-stroke Jawa 350 Californian here, I'd buy one in a second. - - Lannis

Yes, I always read that JAWA were quality-built machines.  I like the lines also...simple and functional  :thumb: :cool:  A few more images.   :smiley:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 11:09:05 AM »
It'll be some built-to-a-price Indian thing that has nothing to do with BSA or Jawa, just uses the badges and name.

Kind of like naming a mediocre ball player George Herman Ruth and touting him as "Babe Ruth is BACK!!"

If they still sold a two-stroke Jawa 350 Californian here, I'd buy one in a second.

Lannis
Indian Built-to-a-price? you mean like Jaguar or Range Rover?

As a builder of race-winning Moto3 engines I expect any Mahindra-built BSA will be a whole lot better than anything that came from the dingy factories of England.

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 11:24:15 AM »

Lannis

I think you should look at what the Indian owned Jaguar Co. is doing  & re-consider.
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 11:34:08 AM »
I suspect it will be built to the same standards as the current Royal Enfield, true to the design and quality of a bike from the 1950's. Perhaps even use the same frame design, engine castings, tires,  and electrical components from the Prince of Darkness...    :violent1:

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 11:56:20 AM »
I think you should look at what the Indian owned Jaguar Co. is doing  & re-consider.

Already seen some of what they're doing, and it mostly involves "modern" interpretations of "old" names.

I will maintain a healthy dose of skepticism while I reconsider.   I own 3 BSAs, getting ready to ride one to Ohio for a camping rally next week, belong to 3 different clubs, and my own counsel will I keep when it comes to what's a BSA and what isn't .....  :angry:   :lipsrsealed:

Lannis

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 11:58:23 AM »
I suspect it will be built to the same standards as the current Royal Enfield, true to the design and quality of a bike from the 1950's. Perhaps even use the same frame design, engine castings, tires,  and electrical components from the Prince of Darkness...    :violent1:

Paul

No way.   The reason they were able to do that for Royal Enfield is because they NEVER STOPPED making the Royal Enfield single from the 1950s on.   They already owned the tooling, they owned the designs, and they just kept on plugging away with them.  Didn't cost them a thing.

It would cost a fortune to recreate the function and styling of an old BSA, and THEN nobody would buy it anyhow ...

Lannis

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 12:06:25 PM »
Speaking of motorcycle brand "remakes" that never went too far...remember the 1990 Matchless Harris G80 500cc Rotax? :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 12:21:53 PM »
No way.   The reason they were able to do that for Royal Enfield is because they NEVER STOPPED making the Royal Enfield single from the 1950s on.   They already owned the tooling, they owned the designs, and they just kept on plugging away with them.  Didn't cost them a thing.

It would cost a fortune to recreate the function and styling of an old BSA, and THEN nobody would buy it anyhow ...

Lannis

More or less the truth...new BSA will likely  be like the 'New" Triumph...nothing in common with the old company... including the logo in the case of Triumph..

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 12:22:59 PM »
Speaking of motorcycle brand "remakes" that never went too far...remember the 1990 Matchless Harris G80 500cc Rotax? :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh:

And two versions of Indian, and Excelsior-Henderson, and two former iterations of BSA, and the "rebirth" of Laverda, and ... and ... I am running out of hope ....

Lannis

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 12:26:01 PM »
And two versions of Indian, and Excelsior-Henderson, and two former iterations of BSA, and the "rebirth" of Laverda, and ... and ... I am running out of hope ....

Lannis

Yes...and sadly...all the ones you mentioned above were..."STINKERS"...with Excelsior-Henderson and Laverda leading the pack!!  :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh: :laugh: :grin: :wink:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 12:30:01 PM »
I have owned BSAs, and a range of other British bikes. But I am not all that excited about a 'new' BSA. But, I am certainly not one of those who is critical of what the Indians do. I think they are doing a great job of producing good motorcycles for their own population, and the world. More power to them! Seems that they are steadily improving their products. Now, will it be just like the old Jawas and BSAs? I certainly hope not. My 1970 441 went 7,800 miles before blowing up. The Smith's speedometer lasted only 1200 miles before the needle fell off and the odometer quit working. I loved it though. If they were to build a lookalike to the BSA 441 Victor, with the yellow tank and red BSA emblem, I would be tempted to buy it... not because it would be the same, but because it would likely be better. I am often tempted to buy a new Royal Enfield because they have kick starters! I think that is cool. 
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 12:44:57 PM »

I have owned BSAs, and a range of other British bikes. But I am not all that excited about a 'new' BSA. But, I am certainly not one of those who is critical of what the Indians do. I think they are doing a great job of producing good motorcycles for their own population, and the world. More power to them! Seems that they are steadily improving their products.

Same here.   For people who want an Indian motorcycle made to the standards accepted by Indian customers, they're hitting home runs every day.

You'll notice that NONE of us drive any automobiles manufactured in India, however, and we ride VERY few motorcycles manufactured in India either.   They meet the standards that satisfy 99% of their customers, and that's OK.

But the comparisons that have been made for the potential "Tata" BSA and Jawa bikes, which will be made in India, and Jaguars and Range Rovers, which are manufactured in Solihull, UK, have no relevance at all.   Just because Tata can own the majority of shares of a company that is run and executes manufacturing in the UK doesn't mean that the motorcycles they manufacture in India will have any relevance at all to us ....  It's a different world.

Lannis

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 12:49:33 PM »
[ I am often tempted to buy a new Royal Enfield because they have kick starters! I think that is cool.
[/quote] My SR500 always would gather a crowd when it was having a bad day and decided it didn't want to start and I would kick and kick and kick....
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 12:58:11 PM »
Such a mixed reception from me:

Jaded by Norton, past Indian, Hesketh, Excelsior(Henderson).......

Not really wanting to literally re-visit BSAs as they once were.

Missing a certain raw and visceral presence of the same.

Not at all impressed by "badge-engineering" or nostalgic pander-prattling.

A bit jazzed by the notion of a twin version of the Indian "Royal Enfield".

Guess it's a wait-&-see issue for me.

Todd.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 12:59:55 PM by cruzziguzzi »
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline lrutt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 12:58:24 PM »
[ I am often tempted to buy a new Royal Enfield because they have kick starters! I think that is cool.
 My SR500 always would gather a crowd when it was having a bad day and decided it didn't want to start and I would kick and kick and kick....

God, those Yammie singles could kill you for sure if they decided to get stubborn. I imagine my Norton could to but fortunately it's always just a couple kicks away from making me grin.

As for BSA....Would love to see a twin like the classic Triumphs are but that market is kind of saturated I'd think.  Now a new Goldstar single...mmmmmm. But an even more limited market.
06 HD Sporty, 06 Tri Scram, 01 Duc M900, 01 Hon XR650L, 94 HD Heritage, 88 Hon Hawk GT, 84 Yam Virago, 82 Hon C70, 78 Hon CB750k w/sidecar, 76 Hon CB750k, 77 Guzzi Lemans, 73 Norton 850, 73 Hon Z50, 71 Tri Trophy, 70 Tri Tiger, 70 Hon CT90, 71 Yam RT1 360, 65 Hon 305 Dream, 70 Suz T250, 64 Hon CT200

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 01:02:56 PM »

Lannis

To me the most pleasing of the brand 'rebirths' has been Moto Morini, with a modern vee-twin designed by the same guy who designed the classic 3-1/2 type engine.  They went through a Italian-style bankruptcy but were then re-re-born five years ago.  They seem to be at least hanging on and making nice Italian bikes...  http://motomorini.eu/en/

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 02:06:53 PM »
Guys crack me up. Brit bike guys more than most.

Almost (and I'm being generous) all British bikes were crap by the time they sank. And I too loved them-until I started riding the things.

Nice example, the Norton Commando, thought by many to be the best of the oily breed. Just look at the list of "must-do" items that were outlined here during a recent auction-almost every original bit has to be upgraded to be considered acceptable for daily, or even occasional use.

Compare that to a contemporary Guzzi, or BMW, or Honda or whatever-they may all have issues now, but in general they worked well in period.

So yeah, if Mahindra decides to rebrand their current line of home-market commuters as BSA, that would be a shame-but they are a pretty sharp bunch, and I think they'll do quite well.

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 02:24:06 PM »
--
2001 V11 Sport
1972 Norton Production Racer Replica
1973 Norton Commando Interstate

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 02:42:40 PM »
Guys crack me up. Brit bike guys more than most.

Almost (and I'm being generous) all British bikes were crap by the time they sank. And I too loved them-until I started riding the things.

Nice example, the Norton Commando, thought by many to be the best of the oily breed. Just look at the list of "must-do" items that were outlined here during a recent auction-almost every original bit has to be upgraded to be considered acceptable for daily, or even occasional use.

Compare that to a contemporary Guzzi, or BMW, or Honda or whatever-they may all have issues now, but in general they worked
well in period.
So yeah, if Mahindra decides to rebrand their current line of home-market commuters as BSA, that would be a shame-but they are a pretty sharp bunch, and I think they'll do quite well.

Uh, 50 years ago many riders used Brit bikes on a daily basis without any of the modern modifications mentioned here. Often ridden in harsh conditions conditions...Of course they did require a lot of maintenance but they were not fragile machines. Triumph in the 50-60's won more races than anyone and most were based on production bikes...But you are correct, they were 1930's technology and long obsolete when the Guzzi and Honda were introduced...

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:43:52 PM by Rough Edge racing »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 02:52:51 PM »

The only Matchless that I ever wanted one of.
Charlie

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 02:56:41 PM »
Uh, 50 years ago many riders used Brit bikes on a daily basis without any of the modern modifications mentioned here. Often ridden in harsh conditions conditions...Of course they did require a lot of maintenance but they were not fragile machines. Triumph in the 50-60's won more races than anyone and most were based on production bikes...But you are correct, they were 1930's technology and long obsolete when the Guzzi and Honda were introduced...
My point almost exactly. In the '50s riders put up with things-and didn't complain- because the technology of bikes at the time was pretty close to blacksmith tech. Though there was some serious crap being produced, even then, and even by the standards of the day.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 02:58:00 PM »
The only Matchless that I ever wanted one of.

I rode one for an afternoon, it was a great bike. Maybe today it would succeed-with a touch of Olde England in the styling.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 03:08:50 PM »
It can be a lot about perception too though can't it? If you mention Triumph and Hinkley in the same breath , it conjures a different emotion to Triumph and Meriden. I'd like to see what the BSA could have done if they walked in the same steps as John Bloor did. maybe they could build a road bike MGS !!!! :thumb: (joking honestly...)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:11:50 PM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 03:10:48 PM »
I had a 68 BSA Thunderbolt! cool old bike but the kicker gear always jammed and broke teeth
You shouldn't have had your mouth so close to the lever! That would have been painful, did they grow back ?

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 03:12:20 PM »

Lannis

My post was an attempt at satire, not to be taken seriously...... jeeeezzzz.

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 03:14:32 PM »
My post was an attempt at satire, not to be taken seriously...... jeeeezzzz.

Paul
Pearls before swine, I thought it was funny !

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here