Author Topic: Sugar Grove, WV.  (Read 1279 times)

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
Sugar Grove, WV.
« on: July 25, 2017, 08:10:38 PM »
We ended up doing a "shortie" road trip down into Harrisonburg, VA this past weekend.  We left the home base Monday morning just after a torrential downpour passed through town.  That might have been an omen of sorts..  We experianced  little fawns standing in the middle of the road,  turkeys flying across the road just above head level,  and unseasonably cold temps.  All part of the adventure my better half says!!   
On our way back home, while heading north, we passed this church in Sugar Grove, WV.
It looks to have broken glass pressed onto the exterior skin.   Francis Asbury Memorial United Methodist Church.

If you like mountain roads,  try rt 257 out of Dayton, VA and it'll turn to rt 924 and take you up and over the border of WV and VA and turn into rt 25 as you head towards Sugar Grove.

updated route..(1st map I posted included rt33 blah!)  This updated version has the route we took, showing Reddish Knob off of 85.
https://goo.gl/maps/X7g1N8MyYWu

Whilst on the top, you can ride up to Reddish Knob Spur and check out the view..  Warning,  it's a very skinny road without a lot of wide spots to let others pass. 
Here's a bit of video of the road up to Reddish Knob Spur when we had our NTX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLAo-eB6E-A

*On the way down the WV side,  you can see the Navel Communications Station Base in Sugar Grove.   
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:10:47 PM by rdbandkab »

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
Re: Sugar Grove, WV.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 08:15:15 PM »
That was some thing done in churchs built 1800's. Lots of time people of the congregation would donate their "china" to be crushed and used in the walls. Makes for some great sunset and sunrise shots where the building "glows"

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 08:43:51 PM »
Thanks for the video!   Been on both ends of that road many times but never had the nerve to cross the mountain on it, using something the size of the Stelvio.   Thought it might turn into a creek bed and just end, like some roads up there do.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 09:16:41 PM »
For some reason,  my original Maps link showed rt 33.  It should show correctly now.  There looks to be quite a few unpaved roads covering that range of mountains.  You could probably get into a whole lotta trouble out there!
When I tried the road to Reddish Knob the first time,  my better half got real quiet..  I know she's worried when she stops talking!  And wouldn't you know it,  it was foggy when we got to the overlook.   We  had about 50ft of view from the top... :angry:
One cool thing about the road out to the Knob is when you're riding along the top of the ridge,  you can look right and see WV and look left and see VA  (around 4:44 in the video).   They were working on the road this today,  and I didn't feel like possibly having to turn around on that tiny bit of pavement.

Forgot to show the 1st day's weather chasing us:

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:22:22 PM by rdbandkab »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 09:16:41 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 09:34:32 PM »
 Very nice , thanks Ritchie  :bow:

Dusty

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 10:46:55 PM »
Bill Hagan, Travis King and I were up through Sugar Grove last October on the way back from the WV Mountain Guzzi Rally. Neat little "wide spot in the road" village with very enjoyable roads all around.

IIRC, the naval base has been closed for some time and the property is or was up for sale.

So far, I've been up to Reddish Knob three times. First time in Oct. '09(?), the road was still dirt/gravel and I was leading a group of friends on my MZ Saxon Country. Second time was four years ago (I think) on my Yamaha XT500 with my friend Carl Fugate on his KLR650. It was early Nov., low 50s down in Brandywine but 36 with snow on the ground and socked in with fog up top. May of '15 was the last time, on the way back from the Cass BMW Rally, riding my "Barney", my '71 Ambo. Warmish day, a bit hazy, but clear enough for a good view.

Need to go back down that again sometime soon.
Charlie

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 07:50:23 PM »
Really nice video ..... thanks!

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here