Author Topic: The one HD I would like to own  (Read 5418 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: The one HD I would like to own
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2018, 04:08:51 PM »
Can750...

Phil is one of a kind.  I was concerned when he started kicking that thing.  He recently had a severe heart attack.  He "said they brought him back" and put 7 stents in him.  Last time I saw him he had trouble getting around and pushing his Griso.

In the end it was the Greenie that needed bump starting.

Phil also built this Norton, I think the frame, suspension, engine and brakes come from 3 different decades of Nortons with a Guzzi piston.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 04:17:28 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Aermacchi
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2018, 08:01:42 PM »
bump
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline 265coupe

• New Egg
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2018, 04:40:20 AM »
I had a '73 SS350 with the black AMF Sportster paint job. Horizontal blue/white stripes through the tank.

It came with a SX exhaust (which I still have). and original tyres.

It was OK, very stylish and cool to ride. The wierdest thing was the rubber mounted handlebars.

I guess the rubber was worn/collapsed and the bars shook alarmingly and added to the vague handling - old tyres and very spindly forks, although cerianis from memory

Mine had the full cradle frame, a dubious upgrade from the earlier spine type i'd imagine

canuck750

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2018, 09:37:21 AM »
Can750...

Phil is one of a kind.  I was concerned when he started kicking that thing.  He recently had a severe heart attack.  He "said they brought him back" and put 7 stents in him.  Last time I saw him he had trouble getting around and pushing his Griso.

In the end it was the Greenie that needed bump starting.

Phil also built this Norton, I think the frame, suspension, engine and brakes come from 3 different decades of Nortons with a Guzzi piston.

Phil is a very talented guy!  :bow: :bow: :bow:

Absolutely one beautiful Norton!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2018, 09:37:21 AM »

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2018, 10:14:25 AM »
The one Harley I'd like is a WLA.

Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2018, 11:11:17 AM »
Ah yes, the old Harley squint.  With the fearsome rubber mounted handlebars.  I was about to buy one until I rode it for 100 yards.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2018, 12:00:18 PM »
not sure about the hard starting ,
the rest sounds sounds like a good description of a small early seventies bike , not just these , but virtually all early seventies bikes....

As a regular rider of old bikes (63, 58, 50, and 43 years old respectively), I must admit to being a bit surprised when, at OUR age and experience, we talk about how some old bike is unreliable, shaky, slow, etc, and then provide as evidence our ownership years ago of a clapped-out, beat-up example at a time when we knew (or could afford) no better.

There are VERY few old bikes that are truly crap and not worth buying to fix up.   Sure, some of them are limited like old KH and CH Harleys with their un-eliminatable 45-deg vibration or a 75cc BSA Beagle that will wear out the valve train in a few hundred miles, or an original 500 Kaw triple with its whippy frame and forks and permanently fouled plugs ...

... but the only way it seems we've experience many old bikes is as worn-out beaters.

I'd undertake to take any of these old bikes, spend time going through it from the swingarm bushings out, upgrade the materials where practicable, rebuild the engine the way it should be rebuilt, refurbish the wiring the way Chuck in Indiana has described doing on these very pages ... and ride it across the country.   Including an Aermacchi single.   As the racers have proven time and time again, there's nothing wrong with the design.   Like an ill-behaved or vicious dog, it's NEVER the dog - it's the owner!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2018, 12:32:26 PM »
These bikes are nothing if not polarizing :boozing:
I've had mine since I was a teenager, literally a "bike in a box". It's family now.
 When she first fired off I went crazy with excitement and will never forget that feeling.

Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2018, 04:59:56 PM »
 :bike-037:

Phil is a very talented guy!  :bow: :bow: :bow:

Absolutely one beautiful Norton!

the Norton has a '48 engine, '60 frame, and '70 fork and brakes (or close to that by memory).  Not sure what the piston is out of.

Phil rides all his bikes.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 05:00:51 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2018, 06:15:47 PM »
I have a '74. I love it. Here's what I'm going for, eventually.

Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2018, 05:00:30 AM »
Plus the kickstand on the right. That might be a deal-killer for me; that's just weird, like getting on a horse on the right side.

I've never understood why those who ride on the right hand side of the road (i.e. most of us) would want to walk out into oncoming traffic to mount their ride of choice.  Surely the left hand kickstand was made for all of us that choose to ride on the left side of the road.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2018, 09:33:03 AM »
Sprints have kickstands on the right side and rear of the frame.  And of course, they shift on the right side.   
John L 

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2018, 10:08:59 PM »
Love ALL those vintage Italian Harley's...both two and four strokes... :thumb: :cool: :smiley:

Having owned and ridden four (4) Big Twin Harley's (2 Electra Glide Sports and 2 Road Kings) to the tune of >125,000 miles...if I ever bought another modern V-Twin from Milwaukee...it would be this model...2018 Softail Slim!! :thumb: :cool: :smiley:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here