Author Topic: "Zero miles" Benelli 750 Sei anyone?  (Read 2677 times)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Charlie

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: "Zero miles" Benelli 750 Sei anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 12:50:21 PM »
You'd think with a $12,000 asking price, the seller could take better photos.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 02:08:25 PM »
You'd think with a $12,000 asking price, the seller could take better photos.

I thought the same thing.   Says it "looks like" a 1979 model, and the pictures are atrocious.

Seems to me that if a guy has a an asset whose value depends on it being a genuine 0-mile example of a rare bike, there would be some real live documentation of that, and that he could do better than running through the shop and taking a picture with a cheap phone as he went.

On the other hand, the part about "this is an old bike and will need cleaning and going through" is certainly for real!

I have no doubt that some of these bikes are genuinely still around.   Back in the 70s, a family of Cuban (I think) emigres set up a Yamaha racing bike shop in the wilds of Buckingham County, Virginia, and were, for a short while, a dealer for Benellis, as a sideline I suppose.  They were there for a long time, and when they shut down in the late 80s, they had a 0 mile 900 and a 0 mile 750 ....

Lannis
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:18:34 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 09:07:24 PM »
A number of years back, there was a posting on a website for collectible vintage Japanese bikes rally in California.  An owner showed up with a Kawasaki H2 in the shipping crate with documents and original everything with the bike.  Might be an urban legend now.  :shocked:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 09:07:24 PM »

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 09:42:54 PM »
That's a lot of $$ for a 6 cylinder - 500/4 Honda  :shocked:
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 10:29:27 PM »
A number of years back, there was a posting on a website for collectible vintage Japanese bikes rally in California.  An owner showed up with a Kawasaki H2 in the shipping crate with documents and original everything with the bike.  Might be an urban legend now.  :shocked:

Rick Brett has one or more of those now, still crated.  I wouldn't be surprised if he has an H1 as well, and maybe others.  They exist.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 10:42:08 PM »
 There is one of those modern Excelsior Henderson contraptions still in the crate residing in a MC museum here in Okiehomie . Something tells me it won't ever be worth much more than the scrap price of metal , and maybe the value of the very sturdy wooden box that surrounds it  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 04:27:45 AM »
That's a lot of $$ for a 6 cylinder - 500/4 Honda  :shocked:
I'd forgotten how ugly those things were. It sorta gives me the squirts these people who buy bikes, put 'em in a box for ages then sell them at inflated prices 'cos they're "classics". What a load of ....! As water bottle said, it's just 1.5 Honda 500 Fours, probably times and a half as boring !

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 06:19:00 AM »
If it never had gas in it why would the carbs "need cleaning"? Mouse turds?
Never trust a dog to guard your food

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

canuck750

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 06:15:54 PM »
I wonder if the seller meant to say that he has never started it or filled it with gas since he bought it off the previous owner??

A green 750 Sei has been on Ebay a couple of times recently, low miles, all original, I think it's in New Mexico, asking $18K. If this one is as good or better then it may be a good price. The green one IMHO looks a lot nicer.

Online Cal3

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 08:58:36 PM »
I had one of these for a few years, sold it in the the late 90's for $2800.......bad move  :weiner:

I didnt like it because I was afraid to ride/break it.......but they make a nice noise with a 6/1 pipe. Anyone heard of a Marving exhaust......thats the only one that I have seen. Benelli beat Honda to a production six......thats history of some kind?

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 10:46:06 PM »
I had one of these for a few years, sold it in the the late 90's for $2800.......bad move  :weiner:

I didnt like it because I was afraid to ride/break it.......but they make a nice noise with a 6/1 pipe. Anyone heard of a Marving exhaust......thats the only one that I have seen. Benelli beat Honda to a production six......thats history of some kind?
All they did was stick another two cylinders on Honda's design. Mr Honda could have done that while he was having his sandwich.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 08:37:35 AM »
All they did was stick another two cylinders on Honda's design. Mr Honda could have done that while he was having his sandwich.

Anyone that says this has obviously never taken the time to compare the construction of the two engines. There are significant differences.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 09:41:09 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 12:55:20 PM »
Anyone that says this has obviously never taken the time to compare the construction of the two engines. There are significant differences.
Yeah ok then, conventional wisdom on my part most likely. I 'spose if you go on believing something for half your life it becomes the truth to you. What would be the main couple of things that set it apart ? It does look like a 500 four a bit though. No?

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 01:58:56 PM »
The Benelli had cooling passages between the cylinders and the alternator was behind the cylinders.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 02:09:05 PM »
Yeah ok then, conventional wisdom on my part most likely. I 'spose if you go on believing something for half your life it becomes the truth to you.

That's a fact.   But if what you are commenting on is based on just sorta what you heard rather than actual knowledge, you hit harder at the fall when you include "all they did" and "having a sandwich" with it.

On the other hand, a "virtual" fall is a pretty soft landing at the worst of times ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 02:15:02 PM »
A still in the crate true story............15? years ago I was eyeballing a `70's Suzuki 500 black rotary bike parked on the side of the Suzuki display tent @ Laguna Seca races.  It looked good.  Had never seen 1 in black before.   This Suzy rep. comes up to me and says they still have those rotary bikes in crates if I want to buy 1.  :shocked:  I was stunned.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 02:18:46 PM by Arizona Wayne »

canuck750

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 04:12:13 PM »
I think Benelli and DeTomasso deserve a little bit more credit for the range of motorcycles they produced in direct competition with the Japanese.
No one else was putting up as strong a fight against the Japanese conquest and though DeTomasso was inheriting Benelli and then Guzzi from the Italian Government and had the benefit of restrictive import tariffs to protect the domestic industry, the company did offer a wide range of motorcycles.

Other than the 750 Sei being the first production six cylinder they also sold the smallest in line 4 for commercial distribution. I have heard that the wee 4 is a jewel.

The 650 Benelli Toronado pre-dates DeTomasso's tenure but I think it is a fine example of Italian engineering.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 06:08:19 PM »
That's a fact.   But if what you are commenting on is based on just sorta what you heard rather than actual knowledge, you hit harder at the fall when you include "all they did" and "having a sandwich" with it.

On the other hand, a "virtual" fall is a pretty soft landing at the worst of times ...

Lannis
Yeah Lannis , never a truer word spoken. I love it when I see a smarty pants taken down except this time it's me...ouch!!! Fact is That tone is a bit tongue in cheek and once you realise where you're wrong it's best to just go red and learn. Interesting to learn about the changes though and doubtless would have been an improvement over the Honda. Thanks for your input though and the free life lesson.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here